Major ISPs dropping Usenet

Old June 15th 08, 06:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Default Major ISPs dropping Usenet

Who cares, they are obviously crappy isp's anyway, who are happy to comply
with taking away your freedom D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 15th 08, 05:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Larc[_3_]

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 19:24:14 GMT, "geoff" wrote:

| From Cuomo's point of view, it is a way to get name recognition. For people
| who trade in child porn, they will find other outlets as needed.
|
| The effect on usenet is, Cuomo is still going after other ISPs, if the 5
| major ISPs do not offer access anymore or limited access then it seems there
| would be very little activity. Someone here might post a question and there
| would be no response or maybe 1 response.
|
| From a historical perspective, if this is the death of usenet, does Cuomo
| really want to remembered in the history books as the guy who killed usenet?
| His solution is like saying there are so many drug deals and murders in
| Miami, we've decided to cut phone service there.

Cuomo is a big-mouthed idiot just like his father before him. His actions are
attempts to subvert a SCOTUS ruling in a PA case, which afforded maximum freedom
of speech protection to the Internet in general and to Usenet in particular. PA
had sought to kill the messages. Cuomo is now attempting to kill the
messengers.

Where is the ACLU when you need them???

Larc
Old June 15th 08, 06:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
GMAN

In article , Larc wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 19:24:14 GMT, "geoff" wrote:

| From Cuomo's point of view, it is a way to get name recognition. For people
| who trade in child porn, they will find other outlets as needed.
|
| The effect on usenet is, Cuomo is still going after other ISPs, if the 5
| major ISPs do not offer access anymore or limited access then it seems there
| would be very little activity. Someone here might post a question and there
| would be no response or maybe 1 response.
|
| From a historical perspective, if this is the death of usenet, does Cuomo
| really want to remembered in the history books as the guy who killed usenet?
| His solution is like saying there are so many drug deals and murders in
| Miami, we've decided to cut phone service there.

Cuomo is a big-mouthed idiot just like his father before him. His actions are
attempts to subvert a SCOTUS ruling in a PA case, which afforded maximum
freedom
of speech protection to the Internet in general and to Usenet in particular.
PA
had sought to kill the messages. Cuomo is now attempting to kill the
messengers.

Where is the ACLU when you need them???

Larc

Never mind the ACLU, where is the Supreme Court when you need them?

Old June 15th 08, 07:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
TVeblen

Where is the ACLU when you need them???

Did you contact them?

Old June 15th 08, 10:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
nospam

"TVeblen" wrote in message . ..

Where is the ACLU when you need them???

Did you contact them?

This is about money, not rights. You'll notice the ISPs who're gutting
Usenet are the ones who're providing (or are planning to provide)
their own video content. They intend to go after anything that might
compete. Usenet is just one of the primary major targets. Have you
noticed raw FTP is all but gone?

Mark my words: within the next three years they'll be blocking all P2P
traffic.

Old June 16th 08, 04:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Impmon

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 19:24:14 GMT, "geoff" wrote:

From Cuomo's point of view, it is a way to get name recognition. For people
who trade in child porn, they will find other outlets as needed.

For one thing, there are thousands of nntp servers, many of them
available for free or for a fee. Shutting down the ISP access is just
a small speed bump as someone said. Most saavy users will simply
change the news server address to those still offering full access.

The effect on usenet is, Cuomo is still going after other ISPs, if the 5
major ISPs do not offer access anymore or limited access then it seems there
would be very little activity. Someone here might post a question and there
would be no response or maybe 1 response.

IMO this action by Cuomo would probably reduce the number of usenet
regulars but not enough to kill off USENET. USENET itself has been on
the decline for years. I can remember when 100+ posts a day were the
norm and epic flame war that lasted 2000 posts before it died. Today
I am hard pressed to find active group that regularly get 100+ a day
that isn't mostly spams and trolls.
Old June 16th 08, 07:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Augustus[_3_]

WELL HERE WE ARE ANOTHER STUPID RUMOR STARTED -- I CHECKED TIME WARNER IN
SOCAL THEY ACKNOWLEDGED THAT THEY HAD BEEN ASKED ABOUT THIS AND THAT THIS
IS TOTALLY FALSE-THEY ARE GOING TO LIMIT AND BLOCK SITES THAT HAVE
APPARENT PORN BOTH ADULT AND CHILD -- THEY HAVE NO INTENSION OF BLOCKING
OR REMOVING ANY NEWS GROUPS WITH INFORMATIONAL VALUE--YOU WOULD THINK
PEOPLE HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO THAN START THIS NONSENSE

I would think people who post on Usenet would know how to use the Capslock
key, but there you go......

Old June 16th 08, 08:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Larc[_3_]

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:26:33 -0700, lkboop wrote:

| nospam wrote:
| Time-Warner is dropping all newsgroups. Verizon is keeping most of
| the Big-8 but is dropping the entire alt.* hierarchy, which includes this
| group.
|
| Keep this in mind for future posts, and you may wish to migrate any
| existing discussions to a non-alt.* group.
|

| WELL HERE WE ARE ANOTHER STUPID RUMOR STARTED -- I CHECKED TIME WARNER
| IN SOCAL THEY ACKNOWLEDGED THAT THEY HAD BEEN ASKED ABOUT THIS AND THAT
| THIS IS TOTALLY FALSE-THEY ARE GOING TO LIMIT AND BLOCK SITES THAT HAVE
| APPARENT PORN BOTH ADULT AND CHILD -- THEY HAVE NO INTENSION OF
| BLOCKING OR REMOVING ANY NEWS GROUPS WITH INFORMATIONAL VALUE--YOU WOULD
| THINK PEOPLE HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO THAN START THIS NONSENSE

You may want to check a more authoritative source than somebody who happens to
answer the phone at TWC.

http://help.rr.com/HMSFaqs/e_newsgro...rmination.aspx

Sorry, but you'll probably have to input your location info, etc., to reach the
applicable help page.

Larc
Old June 16th 08, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Geoff

THEY HAVE NO INTENSION OF BLOCKING OR REMOVING ANY NEWS GROUPS WITH
INFORMATIONAL VALUE

Here is the announcement from the RR website (you have to select your
city/state/etc. after clicking on the link):

http://help.rr.com/HMSFaqs/e_newsgro...rmination.aspx
I cannot access Road Runner Newsgroups or download articles?
As of June 23, 2008, Road Runner will no longer offer Newsgroups, however
users can subscribe on their own to third party News providers.

Why is Road Runner discontinuing their own Newsgroups service?
Due to low subscriber usage Road Runner has decided to discontinue
Newsgroups service as of June 23, 2008.

If I still want a news service, what can I do?
Subscribers can choose to use a third party service and purchase on their
own through that service. There are many providers with offerings, as an
example here are several providers:

Easynews
Newshosting
UsenetServer

When is the last day that Road Runner Newsgroups service will be available?
Newsgroups service will cease on June 23, 2008.

6/5/2008 4:55 PM
Modified by MG

Old June 16th 08, 09:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ghostrider

lkboop wrote:

nospam wrote:

Time-Warner is dropping all newsgroups. Verizon is keeping most of
the Big-8 but is dropping the entire alt.* hierarchy, which includes this
group.

Keep this in mind for future posts, and you may wish to migrate any
existing discussions to a non-alt.* group.

WELL HERE WE ARE ANOTHER STUPID RUMOR STARTED -- I CHECKED TIME WARNER
IN SOCAL THEY ACKNOWLEDGED THAT THEY HAD BEEN ASKED ABOUT THIS AND THAT
THIS IS TOTALLY FALSE-THEY ARE GOING TO LIMIT AND BLOCK SITES THAT HAVE
APPARENT PORN BOTH ADULT AND CHILD -- THEY HAVE NO INTENSION OF
BLOCKING OR REMOVING ANY NEWS GROUPS WITH INFORMATIONAL VALUE--YOU WOULD
THINK PEOPLE HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO THAN START THIS NONSENSE

The ISP's would definitely like to shut down UseNet. Yahoo has pointed
the way. It is more profitable to disseminate content through special
interest groups lined with paid advertising than getting virtually zero
from giving bandwidth to offering a newsgroup. Moreover, such discussion
groups only propagate more mailing lists that can be sold.

So, TWC is more enlightened than Verizon and the other traditional ISP's?
Maybe...and maybe not. TWC has more at stake than having an ISP capability.