Heatsink advice

Old March 12th 08, 11:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
[email protected]

Default Heatsink advice

Hi,
I am looking for a heatsink for an AMD socket AM2 that is as quiet as
possible (not a watercooler)
Up to 12cm high for my new HTPC under construction.
I found:
- Scythe Mini Ninja CPU Cooler
- Arctic Cooling Freezer 64

Can anyone advise me on a good heatsink?
Thanks
Old March 13th 08, 03:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Augustus

http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Pr...ad.asp?idx=278

Old March 13th 08, 06:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_8_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb " typed:
Hi,
I am looking for a heatsink for an AMD socket AM2 that is as quiet as
possible (not a watercooler)
Up to 12cm high for my new HTPC under construction.
I found:
- Scythe Mini Ninja CPU Cooler
- Arctic Cooling Freezer 64

Those aren't heatsinks, they're heat transfer devices coupled with
radiators. "CPU coolers" for short. A heatsink is something that actually
"sinks" the heat, like a lump of aluminium, then slowly dissapates it,
usually assisted by fins. They stopped being used in 486 days. Hybrid
devices came next, where the heatsink had a fan attached (Often refered to
as a "HSF" assembly.) or were deliberately designed so they were mounted in
chassis airflow to increase effectiveness.

Can anyone advise me on a good heatsink?

I don't use AMD these days but I'm more than happy with my Thermaltake Mini
Typhoon CPU cooler which I believe also fits AMD sockets. The room temp is
24°, the CPU is an E4500 (2.2GHz) currently clocked at 3.2GHz and CoreTemp
is giving me readings of 29 and 27°. Mind you, I *do* have a bloody great
big 25cm fan built into the side of my case blowing directly onto the whole
mobo.
--
Shaun.

Old March 13th 08, 07:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Light

---
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old March 13th 08, 07:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Light

Forgot one thing.

The Ninja suffers from not being held tightly enough to the cpu and thus
letting it heat up more than it should. They say to get the Thermalright
LGA775 spring-loaded bolt-thru kit. Maybe this applies to the Mini Ninja
too. Of course that is for Intels. I don't know how the AMD clip fares.

Although in an HTPC the motherboard might be horizontal and so the Mini
Ninja wouldn't be hanging off it like it would if it was vertical in a
tower.

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556063025.html
---

Old March 13th 08, 07:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Light

Ed Light wrote:

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556063025.html

Well, that says AM2. It's supposed to be 775. Maybe a misprint.
---

Old March 13th 08, 12:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_8_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
Ed Light wrote:

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556063025.html

Well, that says AM2. It's supposed to be 775. Maybe a misprint.

Nah, it's not a misprint. I have the Thermalright 775 bolt-thru kit on my
Thermaltake Mini Typhoon and it looks quite different to that.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.