Pumping Liquid Nitrogen

Old December 20th 07, 12:27 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Guy Macon

Default Pumping Liquid Nitrogen

I have been offered a small (about the size of a water
cooler) liquid nitrogen generator at an attractive
price. It generates four and a half liters per day,
using a gravity feed to keep a half liter dewar filled.

I want to pump the liquid nitrogen into a hole drilled
into the heatsinks of the CPU and GPU of a gaming PC
so I can overclock them farther than otherwise possible.
(This is for a a "just for fun" personal project, not
for work).

My question is how best to pump the liquid nitrogen.
In the past I have worked with big dewars and let them
self-pressurize with a relief valve on top and a feed
tube going to the bottom -- sort of like an aerosol
can. This doesn't look feasible in this case; the back
pressure seems like it will back up the gravity feed.
I think I need a small pump that can take the cold and
not add too much heat to the liquid nitrogen. Any ideas?

BTW, I have seven old 500 MHz. Pentium 3 systems that
are ready to be scrapped that I will be doing my
initial experiments on before deciding whether to
risk a more modern PC.

--
Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/

Old December 20th 07, 12:52 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
amdx

"Guy Macon" http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote in message

[...]

Let me be the first to say, "that's going to be cool." :-)
Mike

Old December 20th 07, 01:24 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Guy Macon wrote:
[...]

It would be easier to deal with the boiloff gas - it's still at 77K.
Do you actually need the LN2?

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Old December 20th 07, 02:08 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
D from BC

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 00:27:26 +0000, Guy Macon
http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote:

[...]

The only thing that comes to mind is pumps used for liquid fuel
rockets.

D from BC
Old December 20th 07, 02:21 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
D from BC

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:21:56 -0800, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

Guy Macon wrote:

I have been offered a small (about the size of a water
cooler) liquid nitrogen generator at an attractive
price. It generates four and a half liters per day,
using a gravity feed to keep a half liter dewar filled.

I want to pump the liquid nitrogen into a hole drilled
into the heatsinks of the CPU and GPU of a gaming PC
so I can overclock them farther than otherwise possible.
(This is for a a "just for fun" personal project, not
for work).

What's the temperature spec on the CPU you will be using? Odds are that
it won't deal with LN2 temperatures well.

Consider the heat capacity of LN2 (include the heat of vaporization)
compared to that of H2O. For the complexity of what you propose to do,
LN2 won't buy you much more than a good heat exchanger/radiator setup.

Also, keep in mind that in an enclosed space (your mom's basement? ;-))
the nitrogen gas will displace air and asphyxiate the user if not
properly ventilated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUc6znC848o
CPU cooling with liquid nitrogen

D from BC
Old December 20th 07, 02:21 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Guy Macon wrote:

[...]

ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI!
Old December 20th 07, 02:35 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

'Guy Macon' wrote, in part:
| I have been offered a small (about the size of a water
| cooler) liquid nitrogen generator at an attractive
| price. It generates four and a half liters per day,
| using a gravity feed to keep a half liter dewar filled.
_____

You could just Google a search string that includes [ overclocking CPU
liquid Nitrogen ] and get over 94,000 hits. Most (if not all) these Rube
Goldberg devices just build a tank around the CPU heatsink, fill the tank
with liquid Nitrogen and let it boil off as it may. For actually pumping
liquid nitrogen you could contact NASA for a few tips... especially safety
tips.

Taking a flyer with a Pentium III is hardly worth the effort.

One possibility for a more or less continuously operating cooler would be to
use the boil-off of liquid nitrogen to chill an anti-freeze mixture
(propylene glycol & water ~ 50:50 should be good to below - 40) that you
could then pump through a more or less stock CPU water block.

Phil Weldon

Old December 20th 07, 02:47 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

Guy Macon wrote:
[...]

There is a whole forum devoted to LN2 and dry ice here.
Maybe someone here will have an answer.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...play.php?f=156

Paul
Old December 20th 07, 02:58 AM posted to sci.electronics.design, alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
[email protected]

On Dec 19, 7:27 pm, Guy Macon http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote:
[...]

That's wonderful; how are you going to deal with frost? Where's this
water gonna go when it melts?
Old December 20th 07, 03:06 AM posted to sci.electronics.design, alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
MooseFET

On Dec 19, 4:27 pm, Guy Macon http://www.guymacon.com/ wrote:
I have been offered a small (about the size of a water
cooler) liquid nitrogen generator at an attractive
price. It generates four and a half liters per day,
using a gravity feed to keep a half liter dewar filled.

I want to pump the liquid nitrogen into a hole drilled
into the heatsinks of the CPU and GPU of a gaming PC
so I can overclock them farther than otherwise possible.
(This is for a a "just for fun" personal project, not
for work).

My question is how best to pump the liquid nitrogen.

You can use a simple piston pump for the actual pumping. The motor
should be connected via a very long non conducting rod.

The construction of the pump can use Teflon parts where things need to
slide and silicone parts where a little springiness is needed.

The idea, however is quite insane. The thermal stress will break
things in the computer.

Liquid cooling No One Homebuilt PC's 2 December 24th 05 03:23 AM
Tomshardware overclocks p4 to 5.2GHz with liquid nitrogen lyon_wonder Overclocking 3 January 2nd 04 10:21 PM
5 GHz Project: CPU Cooling With Liquid Nitrogen Andrew Z Carpenter Homebuilt PC's 1 December 31st 03 12:40 PM
Pumping more power to video ram? higher ram speeds? akuma Nvidia Videocards 4 September 10th 03 09:55 PM
liquid cooling Arthur Hagen Overclocking 2 July 30th 03 02:50 PM