What Core 2 To Buy Now?

Old November 14th 07, 05:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface

Default What Core 2 To Buy Now?

~misfit~ wrote:
Condolences. How high will it go? What mobo and cooler? (Also, I 'had' to buy a more powerful PSU with a higher
amperage CPU 12V rail).

I didn't screw around with it too much. I only went up to 1.35v vCore,
trying to get it to run at 266 x 11 on the motherboard it came bundled
with, basically for free from Fry's Electronics, an ECS 945GCT-M
( http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...readid=2115910
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135051 ).
I had to use bits of aluminum foil aka BSEL mod to make it boot at 266. It
managed to install Windows XP, but as soon as I applied the full load
of Orthos, it would reboot. So, I applied more bits of aluminum foil to select
VID pins to get 1.35v, and it was stable for longer periods, like 10 minutes.
Since I was using a 20 pin power supply, which is optional with this
motherboard, I had to try a 24 pin supply (Antec NeoPower 500). No joy.
I tried it in a Gigabyte P35-DS3L, which I had already determined ignored
my vCore selection, so I knew to leave the aluminum foil intact. It was still
not stable. If it was going to happen, the 2.93 GHz should have been
possible with the 1.35v. A guy at work bought an E4300 and I could only
get it to 2.75 GHz.

I was using a Sunbeamtech Silent Whisper Cooler with a Thermalright
Bolt-thru adapter.
http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/sunbe...n-p-16520.html
http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/therm...t-p-16470.html
I didn't actually determine the maximum stable overclock, I was just
going for broke on the 266 x 11. I guess there is work yet to be done!

Old November 14th 07, 07:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_7_]

(
[...]

I wish I could find a local supplier of that bolt-thru adapter. I dislike
the push-clips on most socket 775 HSFs and this Thermaltake thing was tight
to get on... I'd be a lot more comfortable if it was bolted thru.

I didn't actually determine the maximum stable overclock, I was just
going for broke on the 266 x 11. I guess there is work yet to be
done!

Hmmm, sounds like you've played around with it a bit. All the components
seem like they're good to me. However, as you say, there's work to be done.
I had my E4500 BSEL modded when I put it in this P35 mobo and it didn't do
well at all. I had to remove the BSEL mod to get it to run at anything
respectable. (I've never heard of using aluminum foil for it, interesting, I
used conductive paint, windscreen de-fogger repair.)

Never say die! Keep tinkering, you might find that you can get a good OC
yet.

Luck,
--
Shaun.

Old November 14th 07, 03:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Bob Johnson[_2_]

Thanks for all the good info.

To sum up my question for now, I would ask:

"What is the current cheapest Core 2 that has the best chance of reaching 3
ghz?"

thx

bob

Old November 14th 07, 11:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_7_]

Bob Johnson wrote:
Thanks for all the good info.

To sum up my question for now, I would ask:

"What is the current cheapest Core 2 that has the best chance of
reaching 3 ghz?"

You are asking for two things that don't necessarily go together.

That said, with budget constraints and good mobo I'd personally go for an
E4500. (Actually, I *did*)

You don't get much more budget-restricted than being an invalid on welfare.
Yet I still didn't get a 2160 or it's ilk.
--
TTFN,

Shaun.

Old November 15th 07, 01:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface

~misfit~ wrote:
That said, with budget constraints and good mobo I'd personally go for an E4500. (Actually, I *did*)

You don't get much more budget-restricted than being an invalid on welfare. Yet I still didn't get a 2160 or it's ilk.

Heh, heh! I just ordered an E2160 to play around with. When I'm done, I'll
give my mom an upgrade with the board that came with my Q6600, another
ECS with a SIS chipset with a single channel memory controller. Now that
would have been a waste for the quad core.

Old November 15th 07, 08:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Dr.White[_2_]

"~misfit~" wrote in message
snip

Yet I still didn't get a 2160 or it's ilk.
--

Too right, damn those disgusting excuses for processors and their ilks, damn
them to hell and beyond. I bought one but only because I am scum. SCUM. I've

What to do now though? It's not like I can take it out and pull it's legs
off, what with them not having legs, but 'lands', 775 of them. Lands eh?
Lands STOLEN off indigenous people, in all likelyhood. Imperialists! Yeah.
RACISTS! SLAVE TRADERS! RACISTS!!!!

Nah, only joking. They're quite capable little chips. If you're poor. And
stupid. Like me. A f***ing SCRUBBING BRUSH like *ME* etc., etc.

Regards,

Dr.White.

P.S. Good job I didn't buy a Celeron....

Old November 16th 07, 06:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_7_]

Dr.White wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote in message
snip

[...]

LMAO!!! Ummm, is it too late to say "no offence"?

P.S. Good job I didn't buy a Celeron....

Hehee! Nice.

I bought that Celeron the same way you bought your 2160, as part of a
package Deal that was all I could afford at the time. (It's ticking along
nicely still on a 266FSB at 2.13GHz. Still, nowhere near as good as an OC'ed
2160). However, I got a particularly good offer for my grandmother, one I
just couldn't refuse, so I bought a *real* CPU. Etc.

Good to see you're well Doc,

Regards,
--
Shaun.

Old November 16th 07, 07:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Daniel Albuschat

~misfit~ schrieb:
Bob Johnson wrote:
Thanks, Phil

I guess for me, it will get down to faster CPU vs cache vs $$$. The
2160 should do 3.0 ghz but I'm not sure if the 6320 will. From what I
read, CPU speed will make up for Lack of L2 cache in most cases. Is
that true?

Bob, if you re-read Phil's excellent explanation of how L2 works, (making
allowance for his typos, he types L1 instead of L2 at times) you will
realise that it isn't true at all.

That's because he actually *meant* to say L1 cache. L1 cache is one step
'nearer' to the CPU-core than the L2 cache, and thus faster.
But he explained that, too.
Since the "L" stands for "Level", there obviously is a level 1 if
there's a level 2. :-)

Daniel
Old November 16th 07, 09:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_7_]

Daniel Albuschat wrote:
~misfit~ schrieb:
Bob Johnson wrote:
Thanks, Phil

I guess for me, it will get down to faster CPU vs cache vs $$$. The
2160 should do 3.0 ghz but I'm not sure if the 6320 will. From what
I read, CPU speed will make up for Lack of L2 cache in most cases. Is
that true?

Bob, if you re-read Phil's excellent explanation of how L2 works,
(making allowance for his typos, he types L1 instead of L2 at times)
you will realise that it isn't true at all.

That's because he actually *meant* to say L1 cache. L1 cache is one
step 'nearer' to the CPU-core than the L2 cache, and thus faster.
But he explained that, too.
Since the "L" stands for "Level", there obviously is a level 1 if
there's a level 2. :-)

Actually, I made a typo too. I *meant* to say "he types L2 instead of L1 at
times".

As in this instance, cut'n pasted from Phil's post (11/11/07) to which I was
refering:

"When the data required is not in the L2 cache, then the CPU will obtain
from the L2 cache which is much larger. The L2 cache operates at the CPU
clock speed, but there is a latency that makes it slower to supply data than
the L2 cache."

Them's the typos I was talking about, that might have made an otherwise
excellent, concise explaination of how caches work confusing for the layman.

LOL, I certainly know that the L stands for level and how caches work on
CPUs. In fact I know how caches work that aren't on CPUs too, I still have a
few COASt ("Cache On A Stick") modules lying around here somewhere. Not to
mention the half-speed L2 on Klamath, Deschutes and Katmai Processors, or
the full speed, on-CPU, off-die L2 of the Pentium Pro range. (I have all
those CPUs in my collection and many, many more.)

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old November 16th 07, 12:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Daniel Albuschat

~misfit~ schrieb:
Daniel Albuschat wrote:
That's because he actually *meant* to say L1 cache.

Actually, I made a typo too. I *meant* to say "he types L2 instead of L1 at
times".

As in this instance, cut'n pasted from Phil's post (11/11/07) to which I was
refering:

[snip with misplaced L1/L2s]

Ah, I didn't notice them, because my brain corrected that on-the-fly, it
seems. :-)

Daniel