E4300 and 650i overclocking

Old April 19th 07, 04:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Jack R

Default Core 2 Duo and 680i overclocking (was E4300 and 650i overclocking)

Thanks Ed!
I don't know what the default core voltage is for my E6600. The MB has a
'default' setting (whatever that may be), and a wide range of voltage
choices. I looked on the Intel site and found the 'spec': 0.850 to
1.3525V...not helpful.
My system, still in its infancy, is unstable/won't POST at default settings.
Setting the memory voltage to 1.92V gets it past that, but still with some
problems..such as occasionally hanging in the BIOS startup, sometimes
failing to shut down (from Vista), and so forth.
I've got a new "SLI compatible" PSU on order, and will fight harder when it
arrives.
I've run at over 3.0GHz for short periods, and it's very quick!
Thanks again,
Jack R

"Ed Medlin" wrote in message
et...

"Jack R" wrote in message
---reading avidly---
I'm enjoying reading through this thread...good stuff!
Have you tried SpeedFan? http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
I have version 4.32 running and it seems to be quite accurate, compared
to a couple of other measurements.
It has a very nice graphing feature that can track the dual cpu temps
very quickly as load changes occur.
I'll post more about my 6600/ASUS experience as I go.

As long as I'm here, what CPU core voltages do you folks run? All I've
found is that Intel specs the core voltage at 0.850 to 1.3525V. What is
default, and what is a good starting place for OC'ing?
Thanks,
Jack R

Glad you enjoy reading all this 'stuff'. Actually, this is about as active
as this group has been in awhile. As far as core voltages go, the defaults
are different with about every processor offering. We try and run as low a
core voltage as possible and still achieve our goal. The starting place is
whatever the processor default is from intel.com or the box. We get what
we can at that voltage and then raise it a tad and do it again. After
going through this process a few times we eventually find the processor's
max overclockability. Heat is usually the first deciding factor. As a
processor is overclocked, the temperature becomes more and more important.
60c at default speeds might be just fine. 60c at a 30% overclock might
cause instability. I am waiting for my E6600/680i package now so maybe we
can share some info. Hopefully I can get started before the weekend.

Ed

Old April 19th 07, 07:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

'Jack R' wrote:
| I don't know what the default core voltage is for my E6600. The MB has a
| 'default' setting (whatever that may be), and a wide range of voltage
| choices. I looked on the Intel site and found the 'spec': 0.850 to
| 1.3525V...not helpful.
| My system, still in its infancy, is unstable/won't POST at default
settings.
| Setting the memory voltage to 1.92V gets it past that, but still with some
| problems..such as occasionally hanging in the BIOS startup, sometimes
| failing to shut down (from Vista), and so forth.
| I've got a new "SLI compatible" PSU on order, and will fight harder when
it
| arrives.
| I've run at over 3.0GHz for short periods, and it's very quick!
_____

I've found that the nTune stability test is fairly worthless. It only uses
one CPU, and the CPU temperature running the nTune stability test is 15 C or
more lower than the CPU temperature running Orthos Stress Prime suggested by
'Fishface' (it loads both cores to 100%.)

WinFan is no more useful than nMonitor. In my system neither reports all
the fan speeds and temperatures that the BIOS does, and some of the voltages
are suspect, well more than that, just plain wrong (where is MotherBoard
Monitor now that we need it!)

I have tried the idea of disabling core 1 to lower the heat production so
that temperature will not be as much of a factor. So far the Intel stock
heatsink/fan seems to limit a stable overclock with my E4300 to 3 GHz (both
cores enabled) with a slight CPU core voltage boost (from 1.325 VDC to 1.375
VDC). I have by no means tried all the possible parameter settings
possible; I don't know what many of them actually mean. The manual is
fairly worthless for an explanation of some of the clocks and the
interrelationships.

At the moment, my previously reported over clock of 2.7 GHz* would be my
choice for stock air cooling for my particular system (I'm unlikely to see
room temperatures as low as 23 C very often in the next six months.) I
suppose I will try a few different thermal compounds before going to water
cooling for the CPU. I have a Zalman 'flower' heatsink I may try before
water if it is not too much trouble to install.

But before changing the cooling I plan to locate the system thermal sensor
on the motherboard, read the specifications of the Winbond chip used on the
EVGA 680i SLI motherboard, and continue to look for other monitoring
applets. And maybe actually play a game ('Dark Messiah' came with the EVGA
motherboard and 'Supreme Commander came with the EVGA 8800 GTS.) And also
phone EVGA about the problems I find with nMonitor and nTune (I've called
EVGA tech support once on an earlier question and got an real technician
after less than a 30 second wait.)

* with the FrontSide Bus at 1200 MHz and the memory bus at 1200 MHz (300 MHz
clock), 1.250 VDC core voltage, 2.3 VDC memory, temperature of air entering
heatsink/fan 23 C, CPU temperature 57 C running both cores with Orthos
stress prime

Phil Weldon
E4300 50% overclock @ 6% undervolt and still trying