E4300 and 650i overclocking

Old March 28th 07, 04:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Amir Facade

Default E4300 and 650i overclocking

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814130062
Bench mark close to but not quite as fast as GTS8800.
I know, I know, benchmarks aren't real world, but how are you going to
compare without spending a lot of money?
Amir

"Billy Bob" wrote in message
Really?

What pair would that be?

bob

"Amir Facade" wrote in message

"Ed Medlin" wrote in message

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
nk.net...
How does overclocking with an E4300 and a 650i nVidia chipset
motherboard
strike you?

Phil Weldon

I know that Asus with it's P5N series has some fanless cooling
soulutions that I have read about but never actually have seen in
action. Most of the folks who go with the nVidia do so for support of
SLI, nVidia's version of the ATI Crossfire. I see much more about it on
the gaming sites than the more basic productivity sites.........But that
ain't all bad if you know what I mean....... Today's games require
massive horsepower, both from the CPU and GPU. Personally, I have no
experience with nVidia chipsets on the Intel platform, but did have one
on an AMD a few years ago and had no issues whatsoever. I wouldn't
hesitate going that route myself if I wanted support for SLI, but would
probably go the tried and true I965/975 route since I have no plans on
spending $800-$1000 for a couple of SLI video cards.......:-).

Ed

Actually, you can spend $220 on a pair of cards to run in SLI and get the
frame rates of a single $400 - $500 card.

Amir

PS: ATI's Crossfire is a version of nVidia's SLI.
LOL

Old March 30th 07, 05:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

Thanks for the input all.

I laid my money down, and did pretty well price-wise ($1000 US for the five
core components).
Now on to assembly and OS (XP) installation. Then comes
* will a 500 Watt ATX12V 2.03 power supply do the trick
* what cooling method (starting with Intel stock and lots of case
ventilation in a server case.

Final decision
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8 GHz 800 MHz FSB $168 US
Motherboard: EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR nForce 680i $199 US
Display Adapter: EVGA 32-P2-N811-AR E-GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MByte DDR3 $289
US
Memory: Patriot eXtreme 2 X 1 GByte DDR2-1066 (PC8500) $200 US
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500 GByte Serial ATA 7200RPM w/16
MByte buffer $144 US
(ZipFlyZoom except for newEgg for the memory

Any predictions on overclocking limit?

Phil Weldon

Old March 30th 07, 09:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Thomas

Phil Weldon wrote:
Final decision
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8 GHz 800 MHz FSB $168 US
Motherboard: EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR nForce 680i $199 US
Display Adapter: EVGA 32-P2-N811-AR E-GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MByte
DDR3 $289 US
Memory: Patriot eXtreme 2 X 1 GByte DDR2-1066 (PC8500) $200 US
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500 GByte Serial ATA 7200RPM
w/16 MByte buffer $144 US
(ZipFlyZoom except for newEgg for the memory

Any predictions on overclocking limit?

Phil,

I'm also looking for a new rig, similar to your lay-out.

First thing is, I'm wondering why you went 'all-out' with the memory? I was
thinking about getting some 800 MHz CL4 memory (cheaper), since overclocking
the CPU by 100% would still leave me with an FSB of 400 MHz, which
translates to 800MHz memory speed. Or are you simply investing in future
upgradability?

My prediction? Well, on air, I think about 3.4 GHz? Mainly depends on
whether you're lucky with yr sample, I guess.

Let us know how you fare!

--
Met vriendelijke groeten, Thomas vd Horst.

Old March 30th 07, 01:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

'Thomas' wrote, in part:
I'm also looking for a new rig, similar to your lay-out.

First thing is, I'm wondering why you went 'all-out' with the memory? I
was thinking about getting some 800 MHz CL4 memory (cheaper), since
overclocking the CPU by 100% would still leave me with an FSB of 400 MHz,
which translates to 800MHz memory speed. Or are you simply investing in
future upgradability?

_____

I want to thoroughly explore overclocking the Intel Core 2 Duo.
What I finally decided on was to put together a system with the fewest
possible limitations on overclocking.
That's why I went with fast memory and the nVidia 680i motherboard.
I picked the E4300 for two reasons; it's the cheapest Core 2 Duo, and it
starts off with a lower FSB.

After I thoroughly wring out the E4300 then the E6000 series will be
cheaper, then after that there's 45 nanometers, and 32, and 22, and ...
I have a water cooling system with a 12" X 12" radiator, a few Peltier
arrays, and a Lamda 11 - 15 VDC 50 amp adjustable power supply.
I have temperature readout system with 8 sensors and a serial port and a
parts box going back to the Celeron 300a.
With this system it's the journey that's important to me. I am not a big
gamer, and so far I don't edit video (too much like work for no pay B^)
The only reason I went for an nVidia 8800 card is to keep an eye on DX10
(hoping that Microsoft will eventually provide DX10 without Vista, or at
least wit a more mature Vista.

So you see I'm more interested in what I can do TO this system than in what
the system can DO.

If I really need performance, I'd still think hard about the same high speed
memory, inexpensive CPU.
Right now the price differential between 2 X 1 GByte DDR2-1066 (PC8500) and
2 X 1 GByte DDR2-800 (PC6400) is only $40 US (ZipZoomFly.com).
The price differential between the E4300 and the E6600 is $150 US ( I see no
reason to go for an E6000 series CPU with a 2 MByte L2 cache.

Also, if Intel brings forth a 1333 MHz FSB, then PC8500 memory will still be
useful with only a moderate CPU:Memory clock ratio change.

I could be wrong. I first began programming computers in 1965; I tend to
take the long view.

Hope this helps. Thanks for your comments and questions. Please post an
update on what you build and your results.

Phil Weldon

Old March 30th 07, 01:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Thomas

Phil Weldon wrote: (also in part)
[...]

I understand more about what you're trying to do... With exploring the
limits, you dont want to be limited by something like yr memory.

I've been overclocking, too, this started on my P75 :-) I went with a
watercooling setup with my P4C 2.6, but this time I'll see how the current
air cooling solutions pay out first. I'll be keeping that setup running, my
girlfriend was surprised how fast photoshop runs on it :-) Good excuse for
me to pass that system to her and make a completely new build.

I'm now mainly interested in building a 'budget' rig, and trying to get the
most out of all my components. In the past, i tried to make my pc's future
proof, but that never really paid out :-) I kept upgrading half my PC
because the upgradability was less good than advertised.

I'm mainly doubting about my mainboard. I'm planning on getting an Ati
x1950XT vid card, and it'd be good to have at least the possibility of
adding an extra card with crossfire. Currently, I'm leaning towards the Asus
P5W DH Deluxe.

Anyway, when (if...) I finish the build, I'll report back!

--
Met vriendelijke groeten, Thomas vd Horst.

Old March 30th 07, 02:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Medlin

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
ink.net...
'Thomas' wrote, in part:
[...]

Seems you are set. Yea, I think a good, brand name 500w should do you
well. I just read this morning that Intel is releasing a 45nm 8 core chip in
(at least they say) early 2008. Each of the 8 cores will be hyperthreaded. I
just read the damn article and forget the code name of the thing.
With your cooling and tenacity, I would guess you will probably get the
4300 processor to a 100% OC.........:-). Somewhere between 3.4 and 3.6 would
be very good. Keep us informed on your progress, I am really interested.
Whichever I decide on, I will probably go with just water cooling sans the
Peltier. Good luck pal.

Ed

Old March 30th 07, 04:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

'Ed Medlin' wrote, in part:
| Seems you are set. Yea, I think a good, brand name 500w should do you
| well. I just read this morning that Intel is releasing a 45nm 8 core chip
in
| (at least they say) early 2008. Each of the 8 cores will be hyperthreaded.
| just read the damn article and forget the code name of the thing.
_____

'Nehalem'
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31408/135/

I really wanted to consider an ASUS motherboard, but found it impossible to
get a manual successfully downloaded from the ASUS website!

By the way, I'm going to try out diamond dust in an oil soluble base for a
thermal compound; it's cheaper than 'Arctic Silver'!
Five grams of 0-2 micron diamond particles for $7.34 US. Actually larger
particles would likely be better; that's a bit more expensive; ~ $20 US for
five grams.
McMaster-Carr at http://www.mcmaster.com

Everything but the memory will be delivered today except possibly for the
memory. ZipZoomFly was backordered for PC8500 and newEgg is slower.
I'll probably go to CompUSA today to look for a power supply. There should
be some attractive bargains; CompUSA is closing all of its stores in the
Atlanta area.

Phil Weldon

.. .

Old March 30th 07, 04:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

'Thomas' wrote, in part:
| I understand more about what you're trying to do... With exploring the
| limits, you dont want to be limited by something like yr memory.
|
| I've been overclocking, too, this started on my P75 :-) I went with a
| watercooling setup with my P4C 2.6, but this time I'll see how the current
| air cooling solutions pay out first. I'll be keeping that setup running,
my
| girlfriend was surprised how fast photoshop runs on it :-) Good excuse for
| me to pass that system to her and make a completely new build.
_____

Yeah, I'm passing my overclocked Pentium 2.6 GHz overclocked to 3.2 GHz to
my brother. Also he has built himself a machine shop, so we may make some
water blocks.

Phil Weldon

Old March 31st 07, 01:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_2_]

Phil Weldon wrote:

[snip]

By the way, I'm going to try out diamond dust in an oil soluble base
for a thermal compound; it's cheaper than 'Arctic Silver'!
Five grams of 0-2 micron diamond particles for $7.34 US. Actually
larger particles would likely be better; that's a bit more expensive;
~ $20 US for five grams.
McMaster-Carr at http://www.mcmaster.com

S'cuse my ignorance Phil but why the diamond lapping paste as a TIM? It
seems a rather strange thing to use to me. Does it have properties that I'm
not aware of? Are you sure that the paste won't thin out and run away at
temperature leaving a few "rocks" and air gaps in it's place?

Is it just for bragging rights? ("You've got silver? Loser. Mine is
diamond." g)

(BTW, I'm aware of your view on commercial TIMs).

Cheers, and good luck with the system, I'll be following your progress with
interest.
--
Shaun.

Old March 31st 07, 01:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_2_]

~misfit~ wrote:
Phil Weldon wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Ahh, OK. having done some research I now know that diamonds are *very*
thermally conductive. I only hope that your paste has a high percentage of
diamonds to carrier. Maybe you could heat it and hope that the diamonds
settle? Probably not at that size.

Anyway, good luck. :-)
--
Shaun.