E4300 and 650i overclocking

Old March 24th 07, 03:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

Default E4300 and 650i overclocking

How does overclocking with an E4300 and a 650i nVidia chipset motherboard
strike you?

Phil Weldon

Old March 24th 07, 02:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Medlin

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
nk.net...
How does overclocking with an E4300 and a 650i nVidia chipset motherboard
strike you?

Phil Weldon

I know that Asus with it's P5N series has some fanless cooling soulutions
that I have read about but never actually have seen in action. Most of the
folks who go with the nVidia do so for support of SLI, nVidia's version of
the ATI Crossfire. I see much more about it on the gaming sites than the
more basic productivity sites.........But that ain't all bad if you know
what I mean....... Today's games require massive horsepower, both from the
CPU and GPU. Personally, I have no experience with nVidia chipsets on the
Intel platform, but did have one on an AMD a few years ago and had no issues
whatsoever. I wouldn't hesitate going that route myself if I wanted support
for SLI, but would probably go the tried and true I965/975 route since I
have no plans on spending $800-$1000 for a couple of SLI video
cards.......:-).

Ed

Old March 24th 07, 06:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Amir Facade

"Ed Medlin" wrote in message

[...]

Actually, you can spend $220 on a pair of cards to run in SLI and get the
frame rates of a single $400 - $500 card.

Amir

PS: ATI's Crossfire is a version of nVidia's SLI.
LOL

Old March 25th 07, 01:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Medlin

"Amir Facade" wrote in message

"Ed Medlin" wrote in message

[...]

yea....:-) Actually their origins are from 3DFX's SLI. Chicken/Egg
thing..........:-)

Ed

Old March 26th 07, 07:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

'Ed Medlin' wrote:
I know that Asus with it's P5N series has some fanless cooling soulutions
that I have read about but never actually have seen in action. Most of the
folks who go with the nVidia do so for support of SLI, nVidia's version of
the ATI Crossfire. I see much more about it on the gaming sites than the
more basic productivity sites.........But that ain't all bad if you know
what I mean....... Today's games require massive horsepower, both from the
CPU and GPU. Personally, I have no experience with nVidia chipsets on the
Intel platform, but did have one on an AMD a few years ago and had no
issues whatsoever. I wouldn't hesitate going that route myself if I wanted
support for SLI, but would probably go the tried and true I965/975 route
since I have no plans on spending $800-$1000 for a couple of SLI video
cards.......:-).

_____

I have little interest in SLI graphics operation. I've always stuck with
Intel chipset; once you begin to learn one manufacturer's products, you have
a big investment in time to casually change. Intel chipset performance has
always raised the barrier too high for me to seriously consider changing ...
until now. I'd like to try nVidia chipsets. From what I've read, the
parameters that can be changed for overclocking are extensive - more than
the number available for Intel solutions. Also the idea of SLI memory
(whatever that actually is) is intriguing.

So at the moment I am leaning toward
Intel E4300 Core 2 Duo 800 MHz FSB 1.8 GHz $168.99 US
ASUS P5N-E SLI nForce 650i Socket 775 $135.00
US

OCZ OCZ2N1066R2GK 2 GB kit SLI DDR2 PC2-8500 $239.00 US
EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR e-GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB $289.99 US.

An alternative would be to replace the first two items with
Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo 1066 MHz FSB 2.4 GHz $311.80 US
Abit IN9 32X-MAX Wi-Fi 680i Socket 775 $329.99
US.

It seems to me that the E4300 with an 800 MHz FSB could be easier to
overclock into the high 3 GHz range than the E6600, enough higher to make up
for the smaller L2 cache. Additionally, with less than $170 US invested in
the CPU, changing out to a new Intel offering later would be less traumatic.

I have two water cooling systems (one with a 12" X 12" radiator) and several
Peltier plates that I intend to use.

I'd welcome any suggestions,

Phil Weldon

Old March 26th 07, 03:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Medlin

[...]

The obvious route, IMO, would be the E4300, but the B2 (4meg cache
rather than 2) stepping kind of raises my attention as to whether that would
be the best route. It kind of reminds me of the P3/Celeron days when the
larger cache outperformed the smaller cache at the same speeds in most
instances. With your cooling, I just might lean more towards the E6600 just
for the raw HP you may be able to get. The E4300 is obviously the best bang
for the buck. I am not so sure you could get much more than mid-3ghz before
the E4300 starts giving up the ghost even with great cooling unless you get
lucky with a really good overclocker. As always, this can vary from chip to
chip. I just wonder about the Peltiers being more trouble than they help
overall. I have used them (guess all the old farts have..:-), but I would
like to see what the results are with them vs. just water cooling. I still
have a few left over from the P2/P3 days but didn't really think about using
them anymore.

I tend to lean towards Asus just because I have have had so few problems
with their MBs. It has been a long time, probably since the Coppernines,
that I have built a system with an Abit. I don't have any idea how many Asus
based systems I have built over the years and have just not had any major
issues with them. I am not dissing other manufacturers, I just go with what
has worked for me.

That is about all I can comment about............I probably raised more
questions than answers....:-) Good luck Phil.......Let me know which way you
go. I have the upgrade fever myself and am still trying to decide which way
to go myself.

Ed

Old March 27th 07, 02:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Al Brumski

Phil,
I'm running :
E6600 @3.85ghz (bench) 3.42 24/7 (1520 FSB 9x)
OCZ DDR2 PC2-8000 Titanium Alpha VX2 2x1gb 4-4-3-8 1T 1066 Mhz
Asus P5N32-E SLI (680i)
2x seagate 7200.10 320 g raid 0
EVGA 8800GTX
TT Symphony water.
Silverstone Olympia 1KW PSU

I switched from an Asus P5WDH Deluxe (Intel 975x) and I'm happy I did.

The overclocking headroom on this board is awesome, the only problem
I've found is that the 680i northbridge runs hot. I MEAN HOT!!!

At ~1.45v, you can't touch the heatsink and heat pipe..

I would really recomend at least replacing the passive air heat pipe
with active air B$ you install the board. Even if you only remove the
nb and sb and replace the crap factory tape with AS5 you'll be far
ahead of the temperature problem. I have a swiftech water block
cooling the nb and it works very well.

I am extremely happy with this board as I was with the P5WDH-Deluxe,
but again this board clocks much easier. It's also 1333Mhz ready, I
eventually would like to move to the new 45nm processors when they
become available.

I'll also say that I'm really happy with my overall system performance
@3.42 ghz.
Along with the 8800GTX, I can throw any game I want to at this system
at max settings, and they run smooth as silk, even flight simulator
2004 and fsx which are well known cpu hogs.

The Asus board is not a reference board, but built from scratch. In
fact if you peel the P5N32-E label from the board, you'll find the
striker nameplate. It's a striker extreme without the fancy bells, for
~150.00 less ($249 at Tiger Direct).

Which ever 680i board you choose, I think you'll be really happy.
I frequent 3 overclocking forums--

Graphics benchmarks:
http://www.overclock.net/benchmarkin...chmarking.html

I'm nuclearjock..

P.S. Those benchies were obtained with my old P5WDH-Deluxe.

All the best,

Al

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 06:26:28 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
wrote:

'Ed Medlin' wrote:
[...]

t...

Old March 27th 07, 02:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Billy Bob

Really?

What pair would that be?

bob

Old March 27th 07, 04:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

'Al Brumski' wrote, in part: I switched from an Asus P5WDH Deluxe (Intel
975x) and I'm happy I did.

The overclocking headroom on this board is awesome, the only problem
I've found is that the 680i northbridge runs hot. I MEAN HOT!!!

_____

Al,

Thanks for the reply, especially the heat information.
I am pretty sure I will start off with the E4300, but the price you quote
for the ASUS 680i motherboard is attractive. The cheaper 650i ASUS
motherboard fits my plan to use several large parallel ATA hard drives as it
has two IDE parallel ATA channels. One problem I am having with ASUS is
that it seems to be impossible to download any manuals from the ASUS sites.
I like top download the manual before making a purchase, and it just doesn't
seem possible with ASUS; I've been trying every day for a week now.

Phil Weldon

wrote:

'Ed Medlin' wrote:
[...]

et...

Old March 27th 07, 12:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Medlin

"Billy Bob" wrote in message
Really?

What pair would that be?

bob

I would like to know what those cards are too......:-), especially if they
are going to give the performance of top-of-the-line PCI-E cards.

Ed