My computer is spontaneously rebooting!

Old March 23rd 07, 04:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike T.

Default My computer is spontaneously rebooting!

"OhioGuy" wrote in message ...
Over the last few days, my Compaq has become increasingly unstable, and
now reboots occasionally in the middle of things. It can be anything - in
the middle of AVG Antivirus 7.5 doing a virus scan, or my kids watching a
DVD.

The very first time I noticed something strange was when I inserted my
Sandisk Cruzer into the front USB port. Instead of taking a minute or so
transfer files, it told me that it would be something like 1200 hours. I
rebooted the system, and next time I inserted the cruzer, the machine
rebooted.

The only thing I've changed was about a week ago when I replaced an old
DVD-ROM drive with a newer one. In the past, I've also had an additional
hard drive in there, so I'm pretty sure it isn't the power supply - there
is
actually less power usage on it now than it had a month ago.

(snip)

Doesn't matter. You have classic signs of a power supply going bad.
Replace it. -Dave

Old March 23rd 07, 04:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
venkat

Hai Friend

I think you have done almost all tests.
Still I will give some suggestions. Once check with Prevx1 anti
malware software. It is a powerful anti-malware software.You can
download it from the following site.

http://www.prevx.com/security.asp

If the above not works,then first scan the system with Bit Defender
Antivirus Plus then with Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic. Before
using these softwares you have to uninstall your AVG antivirus.If
these softwares find any virus affected files remove them. But
becareful some programs may not work if you remove some virus affected
files. So I will suggest you to read completely the article below on
Viruses then do experiment on your computer.

The article is:
http://technodata.blogspot.com/2007/...s-glowing.html

So after the above tests you will come to a conclusion whether your
computer is affected by any virus.

If you come to a conclusion that your computer is not affected by
virus then do like this.

Freshly format your harddisk and reinstall Win XP Pro with service
pack2. Even then your computer giving problem then you can come to a
conclusion that it is completely hardware problem. Then by trial and
error you can find which hardware component is giving problem? O.K.

Don't think that I am testing your patience.

Old March 23rd 07, 05:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
venkat

Hai Friend

I think you have done almost all tests. I think error may be in power
supply unit.(As you are telling that you have observed burst
capacitors in your previous mother boards)

Still I will give some suggestions regarding virus related. Once check

http://technodata.blogspot.com/2007/...rive-light-is-...

Old March 23rd 07, 05:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
OhioGuy

Over the last few days, my Compaq has become increasingly unstable, and
now reboots occasionally in the middle of things. It can be anything - in
the middle of AVG Antivirus 7.5 doing a virus scan, or my kids watching a
DVD.

The very first time I noticed something strange was when I inserted my
Sandisk Cruzer into the front USB port. Instead of taking a minute or so to
transfer files, it told me that it would be something like 1200 hours. I
rebooted the system, and next time I inserted the cruzer, the machine
rebooted.

The only thing I've changed was about a week ago when I replaced an old
DVD-ROM drive with a newer one. In the past, I've also had an additional
hard drive in there, so I'm pretty sure it isn't the power supply - there is
actually less power usage on it now than it had a month ago.

So, here are the testing steps I've taken:

1) reseat the memory, power and data cables

2) double checked master & slave settings on my IDE DVD burner & IDE DVD-ROM

3) checked all the capacitors on the motherboard for swelling

4) checked CPU temp - running at a very cool 89 degrees F - not surprising
for a Sempron with HUGE heatsink

5) ran loads and loads of test utilities from Ultimate Boot CD on the RAM,
CPU, motherboard, hard drive. One of the several tests I ran on the USB
ports showed a possible problem, the rest did not.

6) I went in to safe mode, removed all USB related items, & rebooted

7) Loaded AVG Antivirus 7.5 & latest virus pattern to make sure this isn't
virus related

8) since I've seen it lock up a couple of times using Realplayer 10.5 Gold,
I completely uninstalled, then reinstalled. After uninstalling, there was
one file left in the folder I couldn't delete until going back into safe
mode.

Jury is still out on whether any of this made any difference.

I am wondering if any of you recognize either of these error messages that
popped up on my screen. The first one:

http://aycu30.webshots.com/image/115...7060620_rs.jpg

Shows what came up after a spontaneous reboot. I would get something
about Windows recovering from a serious error, then click on details and get
this. The strange thing is, I couldn't even find the described folders on
my hard drive to look at the files for more information.

The second message:

http://aycu38.webshots.com/image/140...0802289_rs.jpg

I first got while we were watching a RealVideo file. However, later I got
it while AVG Antivirus was running, and another time we got it when I was
doing something else completely unrelated to playing videos. It seemed to
just pop up randomly, and I've never seen this sort of message before.

Anyone have any hints or ideas? Thanks!

P.S. - What really makes this a bitter pill is the fact that I've lost 3
motherboards over the past month and a half. All were ECS motherboards of
the same vintage, and all died because of swollen or even burst capacitors.
I lost my primary PC in our living room, the one in the basement that we
used to watch videos when exercising, and the one I had to use as a backup
for the one in our living room, about two weeks after replacing it. Now I'm
having issues with the Compaq in our bedroom, even before I've gotten the
one in our living room back up and working with new innards. Blegh! It
just makes me want to go back to the analog age for a while.

Old March 23rd 07, 05:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
meerkat

"OhioGuy" wrote in message ...
Over the last few days, my Compaq has become increasingly unstable, and
now reboots occasionally in the middle of things. It can be anything - in
the middle of AVG Antivirus 7.5 doing a virus scan, or my kids watching a
DVD.

Didn`t notice, whether you`ve checked your
Event Viewer for any Apps/system errors.

Old March 23rd 07, 05:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
venkat

Hai Friend

I think you have done almost all tests. I think problem may be in your
power supply unit. Are you using UPS?

Old March 23rd 07, 10:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
w_tom

As another noted, did you view historical data in system (event)
logs? That is the right intent - to find the problem before replacing
anything. But the foundation of any computer is its power supply
'system'. Not just a power supply; a 'system'.

Two minutes with a 3.5 digit multimeter will accuse or exonerate
system components. Procedure is in "When your computer dies without
warning....." starting 6 Feb 2007 in the newsgroup alt.windows-xp
at:
http://tinyurl.com/yvf9vh

Those numbers either identify a problem or are posted here so that
the better informed will reply with useful information.

Once the power supply system is confirmed, then comprehensive
hardware diagnostics are better executed in heated environments.
Hardware that fails intermittently at 70 degrees F tends to fail
diagnostics repeatedly when operated at the completely normal
temperature of 100 degree F. A hairdryer only on highest heat
setting is also a useful tool to create heat.

Very little hardware will crash a multitasking OS system. That is
limited to memory, CPU, video controller, soundcard, and power supply
system. Those items are best 'selective heated' to find intermittent
hardware. Heat being a diagnostic tool - just like a 3.5 digit
multimeter.

Little in any system is identified defective by visual inspection.

Old March 23rd 07, 11:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

One possibility for spontaneous reboots is bad house current.
Try a UPS or a voltage regulator (line conditioner).
Old March 24th 07, 02:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bhagat Gurtu

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:00:38 -0700, venkat wrote:

Still I will give some suggestions regarding virus related. Once check
with Prevx1 anti
malware software. It is a powerful anti-malware software.You can
download it from the following site.

http://www.prevx.com/security.asp

PrevX is a nice idea but poorly implemented. It is itself basically a root
kit which thoroughly hooks itself into the kernel. It connects to the
internet each time a process is executed to enable the prevx database to
be updated and checked.

This would be all well and good, except that PrevX makes your machine
unstable and VERY SLOW. It is very hard to uninstall it properly and it
is common for it to encounter problems during uninstall, which leaves
parts of it still installed.

Steaming dog turd material of the first order.

Computer keeps rebooting? gakor via HWKB.com Homebuilt PC's 5 September 22nd 06 05:12 AM
New Computer Keeps Rebooting. cdickey Homebuilt PC's 4 April 29th 05 04:03 AM
Computer rebooting on P4P800 Paul Asus Motherboards 3 April 3rd 04 10:39 AM
Computer Rebooting Etno Homebuilt PC's 4 February 23rd 04 09:15 PM
ATI Radeon and Win XP Pro - computer keeps rebooting Walleye Ati Videocards 9 August 26th 03 03:22 AM