paste or pad

Old May 4th 04, 03:36 PM
billh

"~misfit~" wrote in message
Stacey wrote:
David Maynard wrote:

The little lost angel wrote:

On Sat, 01 May 2004 22:34:45 GMT, Leythos wrote:

Xeon processors. In general, the least amount used is the best. I
generally put HSP on using a razor knife, and then almost scrape
it all off, leaving only a trace behind. To much paste is always a
problem, most people apply way to much.

As always, I disagree with this. In general a little too much is
better than too little. Too little is always a problem, too much
just gets squeezed out :P

Frankly, both situations are a 'problem' if you define 'problem' as
less than optimal and no, "too much" doesn't necessarily get
squeezed out. It depends on the mechanical characteristics of the
interface and the fluid properties of the thermal compound.

With the strength of the clamps on the HS's for modern CPU's, if the
HSG doesn't get squeezed out, then the HSG is WAY too thick in
vicosity for this application.

Then again I've never been suckered into $25 a tube HSG either! :-)

Wht do you insist on calling it HSG (grease)? It's thermal compound or HSC
if you prefer, even HSP (paste). It isn't a lubricant (or fat-based) so

why
call it grease?
--
~misfit~

Still referred to as grease by some vendors but term is also historical
since the early HS compounds were nothing more than a silicone grease and
worked fairly well but the demands weren't as stringent as for high-power
CPUs. The white zinc-based compounds then came out and were much better and
that was the start of the evolution into what we have today.
Billh

Old May 5th 04, 03:47 AM
David Maynard

Stacey wrote:

David Maynard wrote:

... so I don't know what 'normal' would be.

Sorry can't help you on that front.

Oh. I thought since you were the one who said it you could.

Old May 5th 04, 01:16 PM
Phil Weldon

Butter; unsalted, 985 butterfat. Replace when rancid.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

"Max Coppin" wrote in message
I need to re-attach the heatsink to my processor, should I use a thermal

pad
or paste? What are the pros / cons?

Old May 5th 04, 04:00 PM
gooey

I'm working on a combo CPU cooler/popcorn popper. Heat from the CPU is used
to heat my popcorn oil and pop my corn. Ancillary fan then blows corn into
my patented USB buttering device and comes out the now useful floppy drive
bay. Perfect combination when watching DVD movies on the PC. Gotta work on
the popping noise issue but it's getting there... ;-)

ink.net...

"Max Coppin" wrote in message
I need to re-attach the heatsink to my processor, should I use a thermal

pad
or paste? What are the pros / cons?

CPU Fan Paste Question [email protected] General 2 January 11th 05 07:01 AM
To paste or not to paste after already pasting Bf General 4 March 18th 04 01:24 AM
OCZ Ultra II thermal paste recall FelixC Overclocking 2 February 17th 04 04:52 PM
Thermal paste - General 12 November 15th 03 08:54 AM
Thermal pad or Thermal paste? Vin General 68 September 17th 03 05:38 AM