paste or pad

Old May 2nd 04, 05:23 AM
The little lost angel

On Sat, 01 May 2004 22:34:45 GMT, Leythos wrote:

Xeon processors. In general, the least amount used is the best. I
generally put HSP on using a razor knife, and then almost scrape it all
off, leaving only a trace behind. To much paste is always a problem,
most people apply way to much.

As always, I disagree with this. In general a little too much is
better than too little. Too little is always a problem, too much just
gets squeezed out :P

If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me
Old May 2nd 04, 05:54 AM
David Maynard

The little lost angel wrote:

On Sat, 01 May 2004 22:34:45 GMT, Leythos wrote:

Xeon processors. In general, the least amount used is the best. I
generally put HSP on using a razor knife, and then almost scrape it all
off, leaving only a trace behind. To much paste is always a problem,
most people apply way to much.

As always, I disagree with this. In general a little too much is
better than too little. Too little is always a problem, too much just
gets squeezed out :P

Frankly, both situations are a 'problem' if you define 'problem' as less
than optimal and no, "too much" doesn't necessarily get squeezed out. It
depends on the mechanical characteristics of the interface and the fluid
properties of the thermal compound.

Old May 2nd 04, 09:52 AM
JH

That idea is still alive and kicking today. The latest is a grounding
cable on this new brand of power supply available here. Some user
purportedly see better overclocking results when one of the
motherboard screw secures it to the board. My friend pointed out that
the power suppy and board are already grounded in the first to begin
with and had "empirical" data thrown into his face by users who
"benefitted".

Personally I don't know enough to figure why it should help, anybody
has got a better grasp of it? :P
--

You could ask my cable installer!
Blamed everything including the kitchen sink for the lack of lockup on the

Old May 2nd 04, 10:50 AM
!

On Sun, 02 May 2004 04:21:05 GMT,
(The little lost angel) wrote:

On Sat, 1 May 2004 22:32:51 -0400, KR Williams wrote:

If you google back a few years (perhaps even five) there were
people selling the idea of *grounding* the HSF to improve the
processor speed. It's amazing what people will buy!

That idea is still alive and kicking today. The latest is a grounding
cable on this new brand of power supply available here. Some user
purportedly see better overclocking results when one of the
motherboard screw secures it to the board. My friend pointed out that
the power suppy and board are already grounded in the first to begin
with and had "empirical" data thrown into his face by users who
"benefitted".

Personally I don't know enough to figure why it should help, anybody
has got a better grasp of it? :P

I wouldn't buy it unless it was silver stranded wire and sold by
monster cable

On the other hand, never underestimate the ability of a EE to screw up
a printed circuit board layout, esp the grounds.

I have good stories but the guilty may be listening

Old May 2nd 04, 11:52 AM
Clas Mehus

On Sat, 1 May 2004 00:40:25 +0100, "Max Coppin"
wrote:

I need to re-attach the heatsink to my processor, should I use a thermal pad
or paste? What are the pros / cons?

For the average users, pads will be better. If you look on e.g. AMDs
recommendations they recommend pads and say grease only should be uses
for testing-purposes for short time installation of the CPU.

--
Clas Mehus
Dataguiden : http://www.pcworld.no/dataguiden/
Old May 2nd 04, 03:55 PM
billh

"The little lost angel" wrote in
message ...
On Sat, 1 May 2004 22:32:51 -0400, KR Williams wrote:

If you google back a few years (perhaps even five) there were
people selling the idea of *grounding* the HSF to improve the
processor speed. It's amazing what people will buy!

That idea is still alive and kicking today. The latest is a grounding
cable on this new brand of power supply available here. Some user
purportedly see better overclocking results when one of the
motherboard screw secures it to the board. My friend pointed out that
the power suppy and board are already grounded in the first to begin
with and had "empirical" data thrown into his face by users who
"benefitted".

Personally I don't know enough to figure why it should help, anybody
has got a better grasp of it? :P
If you need basic to med complexity webpages at affordable rates, email me

I fundamentally agree with your views but you are not dealing with only DC
currents. Your are dealing with high-frequency pulses with frequency
components well into the microwave region. This means what looks like a
ground to DC looks like a distributed mess of small inductors, capacitors
and resistors leading to ground to these high-frequencies. It is not totally
impossible that adding or removing a ground somewhere might "improve" the
signal fidelity. I imagine it would be more of a hit and miss affair with it
making no difference most of the time, worse some of the time and better the
odd time. To say putting a ground on all heatsink fans improves the
performance on all boards is nonsense. Give the manufacturers a little
credit, they are well aware of these issues.

Billh

Old May 2nd 04, 03:57 PM
billh

wrote:

I need to re-attach the heatsink to my processor, should I use a thermal

pad
or paste? What are the pros / cons?

For the average users, pads will be better. If you look on e.g. AMDs
recommendations they recommend pads and say grease only should be uses
for testing-purposes for short time installation of the CPU.

--
Clas Mehus
Dataguiden : http://www.pcworld.no/dataguiden/
"Den som har flest prylar när han dör vinner..."

Where do you buy pads these days? A while back the only place the average
person could by them was by requesting a sample kit from a manufacturer
unless you wanted to buy a thousand or so at a time.
Billh

Old May 2nd 04, 04:40 PM
Andrew J

Where do you buy pads these days? A while back the only place the average
person could by them was by requesting a sample kit from a manufacturer
unless you wanted to buy a thousand or so at a time.

They are over a dollar an inch and are everywhere.
http://tinyurl.com/2c69o

CPU Fan Paste Question [email protected] General 2 January 11th 05 07:01 AM
To paste or not to paste after already pasting Bf General 4 March 18th 04 01:24 AM
OCZ Ultra II thermal paste recall FelixC Overclocking 2 February 17th 04 04:52 PM
Thermal paste - General 12 November 15th 03 08:54 AM
Thermal pad or Thermal paste? Vin General 68 September 17th 03 05:38 AM