Problem with new P4 3.06 & win98se installation

Old April 24th 04, 07:42 PM
127.0.0.1

Ok. I did some looking around, and it ain't easy to find folks trying to
run Win98se on P4s that fast, but I did find a thread.

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showth...threadid=48476

Ok, so it isn't your board and it isn't even your chipset, but the dern
thing works at 3.06 gig in windows98se.

The things different from when your slower P4 worked are the speed of the
new one, hyperthreading, that you're overclocking the motherboard to run
it, and that you installed it (Don't laugh. What I mean is possible

changes
to BIOS settings.).

Ok, that thread shows that the CPU speed alone shouldn't be a killer and

it
suggests that neither is the hyperthreading, but I wonder just what state
it's in when the motherboard can neither enable nor disable it. Intel says
it 'must' be disabled in BIOS for win98se but that could simply mean 'not
enabled', if you see what I mean. I.E. If there is a setting it's either
one or the other so 'not one' is 'the other'. But you have 'nothing'.

Let's
assume, for the moment, it defaults to the 'disabled' you need.

Next is the overclock. Put it at 100Mhz till the dern thing works, ok?

Just
to get that possibility off the table. One it runs you can bump it back up
and worry about 'fixed', or not, PCI/AGP dividers.

Now to BIOS. I don't know what the settings used to be, or if they are the
same, but it seems suspicious that it hangs on installing things that
previously installed. What is "pnp O.S." set for? Reverse it (not pnp is
usually best). Do you have APIC enabled? DISABLE it. Frankly, I'm hoping
this is your problem because win9x (all of them) does NOT support APIC and
that will royally hose it up as windows will be unable to assign the IRQ.

Past that, do a general recheck of your BIOS settings to see if something
is different from when it worked but, as I mentioned, I'm betting on the

APIC.

Thanks for your help - I tried all the above serveral times and nothing
worked.

I can only assume its a BIOS bug now. Disabling ACPI IRQ steering works but
then I get a pseudo
safe mode windows which is no good.

I also though it might have been APIC but it didnt solve it.

Thanks anyway Ill just stick with XP for now.

Old April 24th 04, 08:30 PM
David Maynard

127.0.0.1 wrote:

[...]

I don't know what you mean by a "pseudo safe mode." Disabling IRQ steering
would mean everything needs a unique IRQ as PCI IRQ sharing, via IRQ
steering, would be disabled but that shouldn't remove the drivers or cause
'safe mode' drivers to be used.

In some ways, disabling IRQ steering can be an improvement, assuming you
have enough IRQs for your hardware combination, because it removes a layer
in the IRQ response time.

Windows98(se) is perfectly happy without ACPI (you'd use APM for win98 to
turn off the machine on shutdown).

I also though it might have been APIC but it didnt solve it.

There could be an interaction with the hyperthreading. APIC is required,
for example, for SMP but I don't know if that is also the case with
hyperthreading, so I'm just speculating.

Thanks anyway Ill just stick with XP for now.

Old April 24th 04, 08:35 PM
kony

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 18:21:23 GMT, "Baad Boy" wrote:

Dude, don't make this complicated, just read what I typed about Windows 98.
Of course there's several versions of NDIS updates. ...But,
--The guy posted that he has a problem with Win98SE--
There's no need for an update to the WinME NDIS at all so why even mention
it. And let the guy browse over to Bill Gates' site and do his own
downloading, no need for anyone to be a middleman.
I don't need the file so you don't need anything from me.

You were the one that mentioned another patch which was only available
from pay 'sites. I was trying to be helpful by determining if this was
really true and if so, I may be able to provide it.

The subtopic was NDIS, which isn't complicated at all, merely trying
different versions of it. If it worries you to try WinME files or you
don't see the significance of it simply being a more up to date version of
Win9x, then don't try them.