Problem with new P4 3.06 & win98se installation

Old April 21st 04, 09:00 PM
127.0.0.1

Default Problem with new P4 3.06 & win98se installation

Just upgraded my processor from a P4 1.7 - P4 3.06ghz.

The problem is Windows 98 SE always locks up at the same point at the start.

I established that the system is stable by putting windows XP on an external
hard drive and running PRIME95 & MEMTEST. Both ran fine for hours with 0
errors.

My board is ABIT TH7IIRAID and although it doesnt offically support the 533
FSB,
I overclocked it to 133fsb x 23. I underclocked the RAM to 300.

The windows98 SE can boot fine into safe mode but when ever I go into normal
mode
the lock up always happens at start up.

There are no conflicts in the device manager.. and I even went so far as to
put a fresh install
of 98se on another hard disk and it does it on that as well. Ive removed all
PCI cards and it
still locked up... the only thing that works is putting the P4 1.7 back in.

May be win98se doesnt like P4 3.06ghz or it sees the HT feature and crashes
???

Its driving me nuts Ive been at this for 3 days now.

BTW: I looked into something regarding an "ndis.vxd" bug but I think this
bug is only on
win98 and not win98se - can anyone confirm its fixed on 98SE.

Anyway shed any light onto what I can do ??

Old April 21st 04, 09:50 PM
~misfit~

127.0.0.1 wrote:

[...]

Two things I can think of:

1, Turn off HT in BIOS, 98 isn't HT-capable. If it isn't turned on in BIOS
(or doesn't have the option) then I don't know if HT can be 'seen' by the
OS.

2, Is your PCI bus running out-of-spec? It could be causing problems with
your PCI/IDE bus and causing crashes. If the board is only specced for
100Mhz and there is no divider for 1/4 for the PCI bus then at 133 it's
running at 44Mhz instead of 33Mhz. A lot of HDDs (particularly Seagates IME)
don't like the PCI bus that far out of spec.
--
~misfit~

Old April 21st 04, 10:38 PM
127.0.0.1

"~misfit~" wrote in message
127.0.0.1 wrote:

Anyway shed any light onto what I can do ??

Two things I can think of:

1, Turn off HT in BIOS, 98 isn't HT-capable. If it isn't turned on in BIOS
(or doesn't have the option) then I don't know if HT can be 'seen' by the
OS.

2, Is your PCI bus running out-of-spec? It could be causing problems with
your PCI/IDE bus and causing crashes. If the board is only specced for
100Mhz and there is no divider for 1/4 for the PCI bus then at 133 it's
running at 44Mhz instead of 33Mhz. A lot of HDDs (particularly Seagates

IME)
don't like the PCI bus that far out of spec.
--

Hi,

I dont have any HT options in the BIOS - the motherboard is too old.
So I dont think the OS can see it.. although programs do know the processors
has HT enabled.

My motherboard has 2/4, 1/3 and FIX dividers for PCI and AGP. Its selected
correctly... if it was
wrong I think XP would have problems also - but it doesnt.

I didnt notice that XP refuses to shut down properly but otherwise
everything operating normally in XP.
It strange how Win98 works in safe mode....

Anyone else have any ideas ?

Old April 21st 04, 10:51 PM
daytripper

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:00:03 +0100, "127.0.0.1"
wrote:

[...]

How much main memory do you have installed on this system?
More than 512MB, perhaps?

/daytripper (wait for it ;-)
Old April 21st 04, 10:55 PM
Onideus Mad Hatter

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:38:38 +0100, "127.0.0.1" wrote:

"~misfit~" wrote in message
127.0.0.1 wrote:

[...]

If it works in safe mode then it most likely some sort of resource conflict. You should try and see
if you can't find out what's conflicting or just reinstall Win98 on top of itself. 8shrugs*

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ¹ x ¹
Old April 21st 04, 11:24 PM
127.0.0.1

Anyway shed any light onto what I can do ??

How much main memory do you have installed on this system?
More than 512MB, perhaps?

No, 512MB.

Old April 21st 04, 11:33 PM
kony

wrote:

Just upgraded my processor from a P4 1.7 - P4 3.06ghz.

The problem is Windows 98 SE always locks up at the same point at the start.

EXACTLY when does it lock up? Precision here might be critical.
Does it make it to the desktop?
Have you tried creating a bootlog (F8 menu selection after the POST
screen).

I established that the system is stable by putting windows XP on an external
hard drive and running PRIME95 & MEMTEST. Both ran fine for hours with 0
errors.

My board is ABIT TH7IIRAID and although it doesnt offically support the 533
FSB,
I overclocked it to 133fsb x 23. I underclocked the RAM to 300.

.... so it's overclocked. First thing to do is obvious enough,
UN-overclock it. Reduce the FSB speed to spec for the motherboard, that
is, 100MHz, and see if it still crashes. Nevermind that the CPU will be
underclocked for the moment, we need to establish whether the FSB o'c is
an issue. Performance may be relatively poor with the underclocked memory
bus anyway, you might consider a newer motherboard & memory.

The windows98 SE can boot fine into safe mode but when ever I go into normal
mode
the lock up always happens at start up.

You can also use the Win98SE boot menu to selectively load certain
drivers, or Device Manager to temporarily disable some devices, and/or
pull cards out temporarily.

There are no conflicts in the device manager.. and I even went so far as to
put a fresh install
of 98se on another hard disk and it does it on that as well. Ive removed all
PCI cards and it
still locked up... the only thing that works is putting the P4 1.7 back in.

May be win98se doesnt like P4 3.06ghz or it sees the HT feature and crashes
???

Never heard of that happening before, seems unlikely.

Its driving me nuts Ive been at this for 3 days now.

BTW: I looked into something regarding an "ndis.vxd" bug but I think this
bug is only on
win98 and not win98se - can anyone confirm its fixed on 98SE.

Well there's a KB article and patch for SE but in my experience that
doesn't generally lock a system on boot, but if it did that (as well as
many problems) should show up in the bootlog.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=243199
Old April 21st 04, 11:49 PM
DaveW

You know, of course, that Win 98SE, cannot use more than 512MB of RAM or the
systems freezes/crashes.

--
DaveW

Old April 22nd 04, 12:41 AM
Pen

That is incorrect. 9X only requires an entry in the vcache section of
system.ini to limit vcache to no more than 512.

Old April 22nd 04, 12:44 AM
Michael Brown

127.0.0.1 wrote:
Just upgraded my processor from a P4 1.7 - P4 3.06ghz.

The problem is Windows 98 SE always locks up at the same point at the
start.

I established that the system is stable by putting windows XP on an
external hard drive and running PRIME95 & MEMTEST. Both ran fine for
hours with 0 errors.

My board is ABIT TH7IIRAID and although it doesnt offically support
the 533 FSB,
I overclocked it to 133fsb x 23. I underclocked the RAM to 300.

The windows98 SE can boot fine into safe mode but when ever I go into
normal mode
the lock up always happens at start up.

98SE and earlier have issues with CPUs over ~2.1GHz due to overflow
problems. See
I've had a friend who tried to get the patch out of MS without paying for
support, but it seems to be impossible to do. Fortunately, someone who HAS
got it out of them has been kind enough to post it on the web:
http://www.sjordan.com/ndis_fix.html

[...]

--
Michael Brown