PCs to change radically in 2004! (The Enquirer)

Old January 30th 04, 04:50 PM
Wayne Youngman

Default PCs to change radically in 2004! (The Enquirer)

Hi,

I'm sure most of you know about these changes, but it seems 2004 is *INTELS*
year to go WHOOOOSH! Makes me question spending £200.00 on a new case and
PSU (sniff bye bye coolermaster/lian-li ATX case and ANTEC TrueBlue 480w)

www.theinquirer.net/?article=13425
--
Wayne ][

Old January 30th 04, 05:44 PM
rstlne

Hi,

I'm sure most of you know about these changes, but it seems 2004 is

*INTELS*
year to go WHOOOOSH! Makes me question spending £200.00 on a new case and
PSU (sniff bye bye coolermaster/lian-li ATX case and ANTEC TrueBlue 480w)

www.theinquirer.net/?article=13425
--
Wayne ][

You know
In Technolgoy terms
Ur about 1/3 of the lifecycle late on that report

Old January 30th 04, 06:15 PM
Wayne Youngman

"rstlne"wrote
You know
In Technolgoy terms
Ur about 1/3 of the lifecycle late on that report

Well, my *emphasise* was on the fact that it's all happening rather quickly
for INTEL, allot of new changes all at once?. . .

Whats your thoughts then?
--
Wayne ][

Old January 30th 04, 06:22 PM
Skid

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message

Well, my *emphasise* was on the fact that it's all happening rather

quickly
for INTEL, allot of new changes all at once?. . .

Whats your thoughts then?

Having stumbled and cut myself every time I ventured onto the "bleeding
edge" of technology, I've learned a valuable lesson. Add at least six months
to the time someone releases (not just announces) new technology before
investing in it.

That way prices, and risks, will be significantly lower and you'll get
better mileage from the equipment you do buy.

Old January 30th 04, 06:31 PM
Wayne Youngman

"Skid" wrote
Having stumbled and cut myself every time I ventured onto the "bleeding
edge" of technology, I've learned a valuable lesson. Add at least six

months
to the time someone releases (not just announces) new technology before
investing in it.

That way prices, and risks, will be significantly lower and you'll get
better mileage from the equipment you do buy.

Hi Skid,

yes indeed I have been there too! but as I am thinking of spending a *heap*
of wonga on a new ATX Case (Coolermaster) and a kickass PSU (ANTEC TrueBlue
480w) I am now thinking twice as I may not see 6 months use from it before a
new *tech* is released (BTX) which from looking at the white papers seems to
make sense, it appeals to me. I just have to now *speculate* how long it
will take for BTX to become readily available. .
--
Wayne ][

Old January 30th 04, 06:54 PM
Vimes

I am now thinking twice as I may not see 6 months use from it
before...........

You could just stop reading about concept bleeding edge technology that
costs an absolute fortune today and sell for next to nothing tomorrow.
A monitor tan might give you an healthy looking glow but it is not good for
you

Old January 30th 04, 06:56 PM
TomG

one problem for sure... if you decide to wait on something new, there will
*always* be something new! you will always be waiting! I have a fried who
kept waiting for the "new" stuff and after a couple of years without a PC,
he says "damn! I keep waiting but it never stops!" He finally went out an
bought current state of the art and is very happy.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 120,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

Old January 30th 04, 07:45 PM
rstlne

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message

"rstlne"wrote
You know
In Technolgoy terms
Ur about 1/3 of the lifecycle late on that report

Well, my *emphasise* was on the fact that it's all happening rather

quickly
for INTEL, allot of new changes all at once?. . .

Whats your thoughts then?
--
Wayne ][

I think it's time for the changes to be honest..
DDR2 is going to be out of here (for the most part) when the BTX systems
come into play and I think it's great that the AGP/PCI slots are going away
and becoming a more robust standard.. It's somewhat lame that we have to buy
2 (or in some cases 3 or 4) types of cards to fill your computer slots..

I dont like how INTEL has decided to shove the mobo on the left side of the
case.. It means that we cant even adapt the cases&rigs that we currently
have.. Granted I think they want hte systems to run cooler and more
efficently and I guess doing this will force ppl to rebuild the cases around
their own Standard instead of just doing modifications.

I think it's a good thing all in all.. I am sure that when it all comes to
the market that i'll see things I miss, The ps2 keyboard was the most flimsy
thing to ever hit the market and I still HATE that it's gone to ps2 (I like
that SOLID bus port plug)..

Old January 30th 04, 09:33 PM
Chogaire

"TomG" wrote in message
one problem for sure... if you decide to wait on something new, there

will
*always* be something new! you will always be waiting! I have a fried

who
kept waiting for the "new" stuff and after a couple of years without a PC,
he says "damn! I keep waiting but it never stops!" He finally went out

an
bought current state of the art and is very happy.

Exactly. Where in the rule book does it say you have to rush out and buy
everything they tell you to...now? The machines we all mostly have now will
not become useless in the time scale that article refers to. Games producers
for example won't alienate their punters by making their products only for
the minority of 'tech heads', and so current generation cards will be
supported for a good while yet. And that is just video cards.

I like to keep behind a good year to two on stuff like this, I spend a lot
less and am just as happy with what I have.

Old January 30th 04, 10:03 PM
Immuno

"Chogaire" wrote in message

"TomG" wrote in message
[...]

Seconded!

Just how many games can't be played on a well honed (last years) machine and
a Radeon 8500?

Pete