Switching from AMD to INTEL!

Old February 1st 04, 12:06 AM
Wayne Youngman

"TomG" wrote
many times, running sync will limit you as the CPU has higher overhead

than
the ram. running sync in this case will certainly result in a slower

system
as you will top out on the ram well before you get to the ceiling of the
cpu.

switching to async, you give the ram relief and take advantage of the
greater top end of the cpu and many times, the result is a faster system

in
spite of the loss of ram bandwidth.

"Skid" wrote
I think you're on the right track. I still think you should consider an
875P, only a little more money, no finicky kludges to get PAT working,
higher stable fsb overclocks, etc. Couple that with some good low-latency
PC3200 and set it to 5:4. At 250 fsb your 2.6 would be clipping at a
respectable 3.250 ghz and the ram would be in spec at 200. Anything over
that would be gravy.

"Dashi" wrote
Excellent advice, that is exactly what my system does.
IC7
P4 2.6C @ 3.25GHz

Hi,
I have been *re-reading* this thread after having scanned a few hundred web
pages. My desire for a *Northwood* P4c has increased greatly! Also I am
considering the ABIT IC7 (Canterwood) as well as the AI7 (Springdale)
motherboards. I did read allot of positive comments about how well ASUS and
others do with the P4 platform & Overclocking, but sadly I think I am a bit
brand-locked here and would prefere if at all possible to keep *ABIT* inside
(Used the BE6-II for years, and of course the NF7-S).

The prices of the P4c are getting very affordable for me, but I'm still not
sure which Pentium 4 to go with (2.4/2.6/2.8GHz?) and also which memory to
go in a Spingdale/Canterwood mobo. . .

Prices inc VAT

P4 2.4GHz (800MHz) = £117.39 ($212 US)
P4 2.6GHz (800MHz) = £114.99 ($208 US)
P4 2.8GHz (800MHz) = £128.22 ($232 US)

Also the memory prices are very good for me at the moment, please can you
scan the selection below and let me know what you would pick. I would like
to really go mental playing around with *HIGH* FSB's in 1:1 if possible, I
mean the memory is there right and I can afford this. . .
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Crucial PC3200
3-3-3-8 at DDR400 2.6v

400DDR 3-3-3-8 - 2.6v
436DDR 3-3-3-8 - 2.6v

512 Kit £58.72 ($106 US)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

TwinMOS PC3200
2.5-3-3-8 at DDR400 2.6v

390DDR 2-2-2-5 2.8v
400DDR 2-3-3-6 - 2.6v
406DDR 2-3-2-6 -2.8
413DDR 2.5-3-3-8 -2.6v

512 Kit £49.23 ($89 US)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Mushkin PC4000 High Performance
3-4-4-8 at DDR500

400DDR 2-3-3-5 - 2.55V
500DDR 2.5-3-4-6 - 2.65V
535DDR 3-3-4-7 - 2.85V
512 Kit £128.57 ($232 US)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

OCZ 4200EL
2.5-4-4-7 at DDR533

400DDR 2-3-3-5 - 2.55v
500DDR 2.5-3-4-6 - 2.65V
535DDR 2.5-3-4-6 - 2.75V
560DDR 3-3-4-7 - 2.85V

512 Kit £150.45 ($272 US)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

OCZ PC3500 EL Platinum
2-2-3-6 at DDR433

400DDR 2-2-2-5 - 2.55V
433DDR 2-2-2-5 - 2.75V
466DDR 2-2-3-8 - 2.85V

512 Kit £143.94 ($260 US)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

OCZ PC3700 Gold Rev. 2
2.5-3-3-7 at DDR466

400DDR 2-2-3-5 - 2.65V
433DDR 2-2-3-6 - 2.65V
466DDR 2.5-3-3-6 2.65V
500DDR 2.5-3-3-7 2.75V
520DDR 3-3-4-8 - 2.85V

512 Kit £122.41 ($221 US)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

If you got this far into my post then I *owe* you a pint, this stuff is
going around and around in my head :P
--
Wayne ][
new specs coming soon!

Old February 1st 04, 01:01 AM
TomG

well, if you are going to try to do a fast FSB and stay with 1:1 ratio, then
you better get the fastest ram you can afford. going that route, I would
also go with the fastest timings I could afford to go with the rated DDR
speed.

I don't think you would go wrong with any of those CPU's but I would not pay
more for a 2.4 than I would for a 2.6. I run the 2.8c at 244 and stock core
voltage and have been quite happy with that.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 120,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

Old February 1st 04, 02:41 AM
Wayne Youngman

"TomG" wrote
well, if you are going to try to do a fast FSB and stay with 1:1 ratio,

then
you better get the fastest ram you can afford. going that route, I would
also go with the fastest timings I could afford to go with the rated DDR
speed.

I don't think you would go wrong with any of those CPU's but I would not

pay
more for a 2.4 than I would for a 2.6. I run the 2.8c at 244 and stock

core
voltage and have been quite happy with that.

Hi Data,

did you *parse* the information I included about memory? (below). Give us a
hand dude, the last Pentium system I built was my PIII 550e. Since I spent
the last 6 months doing the AMD machine I'm not quite sure how to spec up a
Pentium4 CPU/Mobo/Memory. I will more than likely go with an IC7 (as u
suggested) or maybe a AI7, but choosing from the 2.4/2.6/2.8GHz and suitable
memory is proving tricky.

I suppose I need some *hindsight* here which I don't have so I will have to
*guesstimate* my way and order parts for testing. Obviously I wont know how
fast the chip will go without testing it, also I need to know how fast the
Canterwood FSB can go, I mean is 280MHz-FSB unrealistic. If I can hit FSB
speeds above 250MHz then I will go with a slower CPU, but if my mobo can't
go very high on the FSB then obviously I need a faster CPU (hmm 2.6 or 2.8.
.. Hmmmm?)

I do want a very high 1:1 FSB as well as many GHZ of CPU power, but this
damn FIXED multiplier :P

So if you say the faster memory I can afford, well I guess that will be this
stuff:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

OCZ 4200EL
2.5-4-4-7 at DDR533

400DDR 2-3-3-5 - 2.55v
500DDR 2.5-3-4-6 - 2.65V
535DDR 2.5-3-4-6 - 2.75V
560DDR 3-3-4-7 - 2.85V

512 Kit £150.45 ($272 US)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I'm very tempted to buy some value MICRON/Crucial DDR400 and have done with
it. . .

Which memory below would you buy if you started from scratch? (P4 bandwidth
monster rigg)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Crucial PC3200
3-3-3-8 at DDR400 2.6v

400DDR 3-3-3-8 - 2.6v
436DDR 3-3-3-8 - 2.6v

512 Kit £58.72 ($106 US)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

TwinMOS PC3200
2.5-3-3-8 at DDR400 2.6v

390DDR 2-2-2-5 2.8v
400DDR 2-3-3-6 - 2.6v
406DDR 2-3-2-6 -2.8
413DDR 2.5-3-3-8 -2.6v

512 Kit £49.23 ($89 US)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Old February 1st 04, 03:24 AM
Dashi

P4 2.4, 2.6 and 2.8 have been cut in price by www.newegg.com.

Might be worthwhile to order from them and pay the VAT.

Why go 1:1 when you can go 5:4? My 2.6 is completely stable at 3.25 GHz with
PC3200.

Dashi

Old February 1st 04, 02:21 PM
TomG

"Dashi" wrote in message
P4 2.4, 2.6 and 2.8 have been cut in price by www.newegg.com.

Might be worthwhile to order from them and pay the VAT.

Why go 1:1 when you can go 5:4? My 2.6 is completely stable at 3.25 GHz

with
PC3200.

Dashi

the question of why go 1:1 when you can go 5:4 is a self answering question.
5:4 is an 80% ratio meaning that the ram is running at 80% of the FSB. yes,
even though to look at the ratio one would think that it would be FSB x 5
divided by 4, it is the other way around: FSB times 4 divided by 5.

if one were able to keep the ram running at a 1:1 ratio with the FSB, then
it would be running at 100% (obviously) of the FSB as opposed to 80%.

Old February 1st 04, 03:17 PM
Skid

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message
did you *parse* the information I included about memory? (below). Give us

hand dude, the last Pentium system I built was my PIII 550e. Since I

spent
the last 6 months doing the AMD machine I'm not quite sure how to spec up

Pentium4 CPU/Mobo/Memory. I will more than likely go with an IC7 (as u
suggested) or maybe a AI7, but choosing from the 2.4/2.6/2.8GHz and

suitable
memory is proving tricky.

IC7 and P4C 2.6. There, that's decided. Now we can move on.

I suppose I need some *hindsight* here which I don't have so I will have

*guesstimate* my way and order parts for testing. Obviously I wont know

how
fast the chip will go without testing it, also I need to know how fast the
Canterwood FSB can go, I mean is 280MHz-FSB unrealistic. If I can hit FSB
speeds above 250MHz then I will go with a slower CPU, but if my mobo can't
go very high on the FSB then obviously I need a faster CPU (hmm 2.6 or

2.8.
. Hmmmm?)

Mine has no trouble at 275, and a few of the folks in the Abit forums are at
300+.

I do want a very high 1:1 FSB as well as many GHZ of CPU power, but this
damn FIXED multiplier :P

So if you say the faster memory I can afford, well I guess that will be

this
stuff:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

OCZ 4200EL
2.5-4-4-7 at DDR533

400DDR 2-3-3-5 - 2.55v
500DDR 2.5-3-4-6 - 2.65V
535DDR 2.5-3-4-6 - 2.75V
560DDR 3-3-4-7 - 2.85V

512 Kit £150.45 ($272 US)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I'm very tempted to buy some value MICRON/Crucial DDR400 and have done

with
it. . .

Not a bad choice at all. Very cheap, and it will run at CAS 2.5 at well over
200, so at 5:4 it would be a good match for the 2.6 at 3.3.-3.4 or possibly
a little higher. But if you want 1:1 you'll have to spend more.

[...]

Maybe if you'd quaff fewer pints and read more memory articles it would stop
spinning -- though that would be a lot less fun. I prefer Bass Ale, send all
you can spare.

Two good links: the memory section at www.anandtech.com -- especially the
875p compatibility article and the memory holy grail series; and the memory
reviews, linked by speed rating on the right rail at www.amdboard.com. (Yes,
I know you're building an Intel box, but the reviews are non-denominational
;)

Old February 1st 04, 04:28 PM
Wayne Youngman

"TomG" wrote
the question of why go 1:1 when you can go 5:4 is a self answering

question.
5:4 is an 80% ratio meaning that the ram is running at 80% of the FSB.

yes,
even though to look at the ratio one would think that it would be FSB x 5
divided by 4, it is the other way around: FSB times 4 divided by 5.

if one were able to keep the ram running at a 1:1 ratio with the FSB, then
it would be running at 100% (obviously) of the FSB as opposed to 80%.

You have an IC7-G (max2?) and a P4 2.8GHz, did you upgrade your CPU since
you bought that mobo or did you buy it all at the same time?. For some
reason (Prescott) the 2.4/2.6/2.8GHz Northwoods are all nearly the same
price now. . . .What memory brand are you running Tom (PC3500?) I saw your
timings and they are tight for 440DDR settings. . .
--
Wayne ][
new specs coming soon!

Old February 1st 04, 04:29 PM
Wayne Youngman

"Dashi" wrote
P4 2.4, 2.6 and 2.8 have been cut in price by www.newegg.com.
Might be worthwhile to order from them and pay the VAT.
Why go 1:1 when you can go 5:4? My 2.6 is completely stable at 3.25 GHz

with
PC3200.

Sadly I live in London (UK) so newegg is only for you lucky yanks! hehe we
are catching up with you slowly,slowly. I will have a look at newegg anyway
for the purposes of comparing prices. Can you list your specs? (ram)
--
Wayne ][
new specs coming soon!

Old February 1st 04, 04:30 PM
Wayne Youngman

"Skid" wrote
[...]

The 2.6c is looking like the one. The 2.4c is tempting but it's a bit of a
gamble that my mobo will hit so high as yours, but having read many reviews
of the IC7 I'm not so sure. I did however read allot more good reviews of
the AI7 (springdale) and it looks like
You run your IC7 @ 275MHz-system bus (1.1GHz FSB) is that 1:1 ration or 5:4
(probably 5:4). Hehe I read the articles @ Anandtech about 4 times already.
.. .

Talking about motherboards, IC7 aside, here are the AI7 reviews I checked so
far:

[H]ardOCP - ABIT AI7
www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTQx

AMD3D.com - ABIT AI7
http://tinyurl.com/2zbt8

GruntvillE.com - ABIT AI7
http://tinyurl.com/2yv8q

HardCOREware.net - ABIT AI7
http://tinyurl.com/yv9tu

TweakTown - ABIT AI7
http://tinyurl.com/3ypgn

V I P E R L A I R .com - ABIT AI7
http://tinyurl.com/28atj
--
Wayne ][
new specs coming soon!

Old February 1st 04, 06:23 PM
TomG

I have the IC7-G and started with a 2.2 gig P4 and after the HT cpu's came
out, I went to a 2.8c. The ram is Corsair.