Switching from AMD to INTEL!

Old January 25th 04, 02:16 AM
Wayne Youngman

Default Switching from AMD to INTEL!

Greetings,

After 4 months of living in Barton/nForce2 land, I have decided it's about
time I *knock-up* a current INTEL rig (with a view to overclock!).

I really do rate my AMD systems, but I believe that INTEL has a superior
*Memory & SATA RAID* implementation, and I wants it! (my Precious).

I have always used INTEL over the past several years, but recently I decided
to hit the learning curve on the AMD side of things, so now I want to get
INTEL back inside I am a bit unsure (especially as Prescott is here is early
guise).

So basically I had a good look around today, and so far I am feeling a good
vibe towards the ABIT AI7 (£80.49), seems like it would meet my needs. Now
I'm not sure which CPU/Memory would be the best choice, but I'm aiming to
hit 3GHz + using a 1:1 memory ratio.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
CPU (Hmmm Northwood or Prescott?)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Northwood - 2.4GHz (800MHz-FSB) - £128.08

Northwood - 2.6GHz (800MHz-FSB) - £129.19

Northwood - 2.8GHz (800MHz-FSB) - £155.69
Prescott. . . . .2.8GHz (800MHz-FSB) - £151.58

Northwood - 3.0GHz (800MHz-FSB) - £199.69
Prescott. . . . .3.0GHz (800MHz-FSB) - £198.58
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I just read something about early Prescott's performing slower than
Northwood on a clock for clock bases (something to do with Prescott having
deeper pipelines).

As the multipliers are fixed I can see I must make my CPU choice carefully,
but what is the equivalent of the Barton 2500+ in Intel land? (in terms of
overclocking/Bang for buck).

Obviously my choices for memory are PC3200 - PC4000, probably 2 x 256MB.
How realistic is it to hit 250MHz-FSB on one of these AI7's? (with proper
components!).

I heard it may be an option to run the FSB/Memory ratios *Async* with some
really tight PC3200, yes there will be latencies but how would this compare
to some PC4000 running 1:1 (Cas3 or 2.5)?

I will be adding a nice PSU, HSF, SATA HDD & Graphics Card and WinXP Pro
sp1.

O.k I better stop there, this is just my first general enquiry and I will
now go and read dozens of web reviews to help get me up to speed!

Thanks for any feedback
--
Wayne ][

Old January 25th 04, 03:00 AM
TomG

what made you go with the AI7 versus the IC7? just curious... just cost of
the board?

from what I have seen, if you have any desire to keep a 1:1 ratio, you need
to go with the fastest ram you can find with many saying that the BT stuff
with Micron (I think...) chips are the best for that...

async is always a possibility but there will be *some* cost in memory
bandwidth

see if you can find any archives of this group from Google and pay
particular attention to the type of ram that some have posted real good
results with...

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 120,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

Old January 25th 04, 03:03 AM
Simon

An ASUS P4P800 would also do the job at that price. CPU wise best bang for
buck is the P4 2.6HT which usually do 3.2 (246fsb) memory wise get some
DDR400 at least, matched pair so you can dual channel.. My 2.6 does 3.2 at
1.55v. 3.3gig at 1.56v, 3.4gig at 1.58v after that no chance. all with stock
cooling. BTW where did you get the prescott prices from?

Simon

Old January 25th 04, 06:53 AM
DaveL

Raid is from companies like Promise and Highpoint. AMD and Intel got
nothing to do with it.

Dave

Old January 25th 04, 12:32 PM
TomG

actually, Intel has everything to do with raid. given that Intel has
implemented SATA raid in the 865 and 875 chipsets...

Old January 25th 04, 01:35 PM
Courseyauto

Raid is from companies like Promise and Highpoint. AMD and Intel got
nothing to do with it.

Dave
..

The INTEL SATA raid controller is not on the PCI buss like all the other
controllers,it is capable of using the full 150 transfer rate unlike the
promise and silicon image and highpoint. DOUG
Old January 25th 04, 01:38 PM
Wayne Youngman

"TomG" wrote
what made you go with the AI7 versus the IC7? just curious... just cost

of
the board?

from what I have seen, if you have any desire to keep a 1:1 ratio, you

need
to go with the fastest ram you can find with many saying that the BT stuff
with Micron (I think...) chips are the best for that...

async is always a possibility but there will be *some* cost in memory
bandwidth

see if you can find any archives of this group from Google and pay
particular attention to the type of ram that some have posted real good
results with...

Hi Tom,
the AI7 (Springdale) is able to keep with/outpace the IC7 (Canterwood) when
overclocking, according to *Web-Reviews*. Obviously it has uGuru but I only
see that as enhanced system feedback and also it can control your fans
according to temps. . handy!. Also the price is very keen.

I'm getting mixed feedback about the memory side of things, some are saying
run *sync 1:1* and others are saying run *Async* (some say Async + Higher
than 200MHz FSB). At this point I am thinking either Tight PC3200 or
PC3500. The really fast stuff (PC4000 etc) is pretty expensive so I not so
keen to go there.
--
Wayne ][

Old January 25th 04, 01:41 PM
Wayne Youngman

"Simon" wrote
An ASUS P4P800 would also do the job at that price. CPU wise best bang for
buck is the P4 2.6HT which usually do 3.2 (246fsb) memory wise get some
DDR400 at least, matched pair so you can dual channel.. My 2.6 does 3.2 at
1.55v. 3.3gig at 1.56v, 3.4gig at 1.58v after that no chance. all with

stock
cooling. BTW where did you get the prescott prices from?

Hi,
Hmm so I hear that the 2.6c is the new 2.4c, but with that chip (2.6c) I
would be aiming for 250MHz-FSB (1GHz-QDR!!!) 13 x 250. Sounds like I would
need PC4000 for sync or very tight PC3200/3500 for some async.

Prescott prices are *pre-order* prices from overclockers.co.uk
--
Wayne ][

Old January 25th 04, 01:42 PM
Wayne Youngman

"DaveL" wrote
Raid is from companies like Promise and Highpoint. AMD and Intel got
nothing to do with it.

Hi,
I see your point on the AMD boards (using add-in Silicon Image), but surely
INTEL has got something to do with it with their ICH-R, that's their native
SATA RAID controller no?
--
Wayne ][

Old January 25th 04, 01:48 PM
TomG

many times, running sync will limit you as the CPU has higher overhead than
the ram. running sync in this case will certainly result in a slower system
as you will top out on the ram well before you get to the ceiling of the
cpu.

switching to async, you give the ram relief and take advantage of the
greater top end of the cpu and many times, the result is a faster system in
spite of the loss of ram bandwidth.

one thing to keep in mind with the uGuru is that it seems to interfere with
being able to use third party monitoring packages such as MBM as the uGuru
appears to have a lock on the monitor ports...