Need good router: ordered Ispiron 6000 w/ "Intel Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915 (802.11 a/b/g, 54Mbps)"

Old June 17th 05, 10:30 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

Default Need good router: ordered Ispiron 6000 w/ "Intel Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915 (802.11 a/b/g, 54Mbps)"

So I ordered an Inspiron with an Intel 2915 a/b/g. I wanted the "a" because
there is so much 2.4 Ghz sword fighting in my neighborhood (the phone almost
doesn't work at all) that I figured having 5 Ghz would be worth having, if
nothing else than to experiment.

Also, my 2.4 Ghz phone causes the baby monitor to static up loudly, so
heck---it's worth it just to find out.

*BUT* I need a good 802.11 a/g router. I'm assuming that LinkSys still is
the name that causes the fewest issues, or is there something esoteric about
the Intel wireless signal discipline that makes getting an Intel router a
good idea?

*THANKS*

--
Having a dog that is a purebred does not qualify it for breeding. Dogs need
to have several generations of clearances for various illnesses before being

Old June 18th 05, 11:28 AM
Tmax60

Hi Tom,

I have an Inspiron 700m with the IntelPRO Wireless a/b/g card and bought a
Netgear WGU624 router for exactly the same reason you stated. It works
flawlessly and I think using the 'a' band gives overall better wireless
performance than the 'g' band. I got the router, brand new, on eBay at a
substantial savings over other online retailers....

Tmax60

Old June 19th 05, 05:02 PM
Silverado

I have a Linksys WRT55AG router tucked in a corner in my upstairs den. I
have a Dell 5150 with the a/b/g built-in and it works flawlessly. My laptop
detects the A and G and lets me choose which to use. My wife has a Dell
600m with the b built-in and it picks up the b signal. I use A. We don't
have any interference with the wireless phones. There are several b systems
in my neighborhood too.

Good Luck,
Karl

Old June 22nd 05, 11:38 PM
Thomas G. Marshall

Tmax60 coughed up:
"Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote in
message news:7iHse.9147$aR1.1617@trndny02...

So I ordered an Inspiron with an Intel 2915 a/b/g. I wanted the "a"
because there is so much 2.4 Ghz sword fighting in my neighborhood
(the phone almost doesn't work at all) that I figured having 5 Ghz
would be worth having, if nothing else than to experiment.

Also, my 2.4 Ghz phone causes the baby monitor to static up loudly,
so heck---it's worth it just to find out.

*BUT* I need a good 802.11 a/g router. I'm assuming that LinkSys
still is the name that causes the fewest issues, or is there
something esoteric about the Intel wireless signal discipline that
makes getting an Intel router a good idea?

Hi Tom,

I have an Inspiron 700m with the IntelPRO Wireless a/b/g card and
bought a Netgear WGU624 router

This confuses me. That router claims to be B/G outwardly. But if you read
closely it claims to dual broadcast on both 2.4 and 5Ghz which means A/B/G.
What gives???

for exactly the same reason you
stated. It works flawlessly and I think using the 'a' band gives
overall better wireless performance than the 'g' band.

Does it do this by attempting to use both A and G and just ignoring the G?
Or do you actually have the ability to tell this thing: "A band only"?

I got the
router, brand new, on eBay at a substantial savings over other online
retailers....
Tmax60

--
Unix users who vehemently argue that the "ln" command has its arguments
reversed do not understand much about the design of the utilities. "ln

Old June 24th 05, 01:37 AM
Dan

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:30:43 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:

*BUT* I need a good 802.11 a/g router. I'm assuming that LinkSys still is
the name that causes the fewest issues, or is there something esoteric about
the Intel wireless signal discipline that makes getting an Intel router a
good idea?

I like the Netgears. I just installed one last week for someone with
an Inspiron 6000 and it was extremely easy...automatically detected
the cable modem, instant web access.

Dan
Old June 24th 05, 02:24 PM
Pen

For whatever it's worth, I've used
Linksys with the Intel and it works
well, but I had great difficulty with
the Linksys and WEP, even with other Linksys
equipment. Using no encryption or WPA, no problems.

Old June 25th 05, 01:41 AM
Thomas G. Marshall

Dan coughed up:
. com wrote:

*BUT* I need a good 802.11 a/g router. I'm assuming that LinkSys
still is the name that causes the fewest issues, or is there
something esoteric about the Intel wireless signal discipline that
makes getting an Intel router a good idea?

I like the Netgears. I just installed one last week for someone with
an Inspiron 6000 and it was extremely easy...automatically detected
the cable modem, instant web access.

For the record, I went with the WGU624 (netgear). I'll report back with any
odd discoveries I make with the thing.

--
Forgetthesong,I'dratherhavethefrontallobotomy...

Old June 25th 05, 01:44 AM
Thomas G. Marshall

Silverado coughed up:

[...]

Just so you know, I was going to default to this very linksys because you
recommended it, and because linksys *seems* in the past to be the most
stable. But I checked on cnet.com and it was filled with horror stories,
far more so than any other modem.

--
Forgetthesong,I'dratherhavethefrontallobotomy...

Old June 25th 05, 02:52 PM
Kevin Childers

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:GN1ve.851$Bn6.346@trndny08...
[...]

For what it's worth, CISCO has a new beginners book out on home
networking that of course features their subsidiary's, Linksys, routers. It
is MS Windows oriented.

help: connecting wireless router using wireless lan card. [email protected] General 5 December 12th 04 06:03 PM
Intel, AMD... Mirko General 11 November 22nd 04 07:17 AM
New to Intel - Is this any good? Steve Vai Overclocking 1 October 16th 04 12:23 AM
Best bang for buck CPU? Shawk Homebuilt PC's 9 October 5th 03 07:24 PM
Intel wants to slow down platform changes Rob Stow General 6 July 5th 03 11:13 AM