Early i7 OC news..

Old November 5th 08, 09:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_3_]

Default Early i7 OC news..

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...e-i7,2063.html

"Our Core i7 920 sample is stable at 3.8 GHz and with a bit more tweaking
would likely stabilize at 4 GHz as well. We didn't really have any better
luck with the 965 Extreme, which could be tweaked through its multiplier
settings versus the Bclk-only, like the 920."

Oh to have money! I'd be awaiting these with every intent of being a
pioneer. g

As it is I'll (hopefully) be watching folks here reporting their results.

Regards,
--
Shaun.

Old November 6th 08, 03:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface

~misfit~ wrote:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...e-i7,2063.html

"Our Core i7 920 sample is stable at 3.8 GHz and with a bit more
tweaking would likely stabilize at 4 GHz as well. We didn't really have
any better luck with the 965 Extreme, which could be tweaked through
its multiplier settings versus the Bclk-only, like the 920."

....with perhaps too much voltage? They crank it to 1.5v.

Oh to have money! I'd be awaiting these with every intent of being a pioneer. g

As it is I'll (hopefully) be watching folks here reporting their results.

I was just about to order a Q9550 since my wife confiscated my
Q6600 because "Webkinz world is so much faster" (than on her E2200).
The dual core @ 3 GHz was subjectively "faster, but not as fast."
Maybe I'll wait for the I7 overclocked benchies...

Old November 22nd 08, 02:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface

Maybe I'll wait for the I7 overclocked benchies...

Saw the benchmarks. Decided not to go for I7 at this time.
The motherboards are very expensive and I'd have to get
DDR3 and of course I'd want a bunch and need Vista 64.

So I spent just $230 and got an essentially free motherboard
in a combo deal:
http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/...8/11/19/38066/
The Q9550 goes into my Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L.

My wife gets the Q6600 in a Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L.
At Fry's, I also picked-up her up a mini P180 case for $69,
which was an amazing deal.

Old November 28th 08, 05:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface

Fishface wrote:

My wife gets the Q6600 in a Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L.
At Fry's, I also picked-up her up a mini P180 case for $69,
which was an amazing deal.

Imagine my surprise when I open the box and the case has a 200mm
fan on top! But it is amazingly quiet with my old Antec NeoHE 500.
3GHz, no sweat. Of course, the Gigabyte doesn't wake from standby
with the keyboard or mouse, and not as quickly as the old ECS, it seems,
so she is still bitching...

Old November 29th 08, 09:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_10_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Fishface wrote:
Fishface wrote:

My wife gets the Q6600 in a Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L.
At Fry's, I also picked-up her up a mini P180 case for $69,
which was an amazing deal.

Imagine my surprise when I open the box and the case has a 200mm
fan on top! But it is amazingly quiet with my old Antec NeoHE 500.
3GHz, no sweat. Of course, the Gigabyte doesn't wake from standby
with the keyboard or mouse, and not as quickly as the old ECS, it
seems, so she is still bitching...

LOL, ain't that the way?

My case has a 450rpm 250mm fan in the side. It's way cool. g

I also have 2 x 120mm fans in front on a fan controller and run them at
minimum speed to keep the HDs cool while staying quiet.

Shame I'm selling the rig as I've made the move to a laptop. It does all I
want (at least for now) and saves me $7/week in electricity costs. No small
amount to someone on an invalid's benefit. Just gotta sell the rig now to
pay some off the credit card that I used to get the (second-hand)
ThinkPad...

Ok, so I can't overclock it but I can still tinker with it. I'm currently
doing stability runs with Prime95 at each of the supported CPU speeds after
changing the voltage settings for each step using Notebook Hardware Control.
I can even set my own parameters for at what speed the fan runs for
different temps.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.