Memory Question ?

Old November 9th 08, 03:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
[email protected]

Default Memory Question ?

Hi all,

I have the following memory sticks currently in my computer

Corsair 2GB DDRF2 800MHz/PC2 6400 XMS2 NON ESS Ubuffered CL5

I also have 2 empty slots. The question is - Can I populate these two
with the same brand of Memory sticks but slightly faster like
4-4-4-12.

If I do, do I need to fiddle the BIOS setting or what.

Thanks for your help.
Old November 9th 08, 03:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
[email protected]

Hi all

I forgot to mention that I am using Abit IP35 Pro mother board and
that the memory pair currently installed works on 1.9 volts and the
one I like to install works on 2.1 volts.
Old November 9th 08, 06:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Medlin[_4_]

wrote in message
news
Hi all

I forgot to mention that I am using Abit IP35 Pro mother board and
that the memory pair currently installed works on 1.9 volts and the
one I like to install works on 2.1 volts.

The bios should pick up on the CAS settings and automatically set that for
you. As for the voltage, you might have to find a happy medium or try
running the new memory at a lower voltage. I would think that your old and
new memory should work ok at 2.0v. 1.9v as a max voltage sounds a bit
conservative to me. On the other hand, if you are not overclocking the
memory the new memory might run just fine at 1.9v.

Ed

Old November 9th 08, 06:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'cadetp' wrote:
I have the following memory sticks currently in my computer

Corsair 2GB DDRF2 800MHz/PC2 6400 XMS2 NON ESS Ubuffered CL5

I also have 2 empty slots. The question is - Can I populate these two
with the same brand of Memory sticks but slightly faster like
4-4-4-12.

If I do, do I need to fiddle the BIOS setting or what.

_____

You can use memory from different manufacturers with different timings and
even different speed ratings. Your system probably requires unbuffered
memory. Your initial two 1 GByte sticks should be inserted into two slots
that allow dual channel operation, so the two empty slots should be the two
used to install your two new sticks. It's just my guess, but I'd say you
will not need to make any changes in the BIOS. Any memory module can
certainly run at speeds and timings LOWER than its stock ratings. The only
potential problem I see is the higher voltage for the second pair you
mention in your second post. I think I'd split the difference and run BOTH
pairs at 2.0 volts, while running the new pair at the slightly slower
timings of the older pair.

As a trial I suggest you replace the older pair with the newer pair and
check performance; also check it the BIOS has automatically raised the
memory voltage to meet the parameters stored in the SPD on the modules.
Then try the new modules with the timings set the same as the older memory,
then check performance with the slower timings and the voltage set at 2.0
volts and 1.9 volts to match the older modules.

It would be better to have modules that require the same operating voltage,
as I don't think different module slots can be supplied different voltages.
But you should have no problem operating the new modules at timings relaxed
to match the timings of the old modules ad the operating voltage dropped by
0.1 volt (and raising the older module operating voltage by 0.1 volt.) Or,
as a last resort, running both pairs of modules at 2.1 volts.

Of course it would be best to have all four modules have the same stock
operating voltage.

Finally, it may be, if you were to read out the SPD contents, that BOTH
pairs of modules have the same stock operating voltage when operated at the
same memory timings B^)

Phil Weldon