Suggestions for S478 and 80mm fans

Old October 13th 08, 10:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Jim

Default Suggestions for S478 and 80mm fans

I'm looking for some suggestions on the fans i should get.
I have no plans to overclock the old machine P4 3.2Ghz but would like to get
one of the quieter CPU fans, plus I'm also on the look out for some 80mm
case fans right now i just have stock Antec fans, I have posted in this
group as i suspect you guys (and girls) will know what your talking about.

TIA

Old October 14th 08, 03:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

Jim wrote:
I'm looking for some suggestions on the fans i should get.
I have no plans to overclock the old machine P4 3.2Ghz but would like to get
one of the quieter CPU fans, plus I'm also on the look out for some 80mm
case fans right now i just have stock Antec fans, I have posted in this
group as i suspect you guys (and girls) will know what your talking about.

TIA

For the CPU, the fan choice is mated to the CPU heatsink.
When a small heatsink is used, a loud fan with high velocity
air is used with it. As the heatsink gets larger, the fan can
be less aggressive. But if the heatsink is too big, then it
becomes awkward to install (get your fingers underneath),
and leaves no room for working on other parts of the
motherboard.

For example, this heatsink is huge, and the large fin area
means a relatively low velocity of air can be used, passing
over the fins. Some reviews say it is pretty quiet, and
you have to hold your ear near it, to hear it.

But a heatsink like that can be so big, that the distance
between the center of the CPU socket and the ATX power supply
becomes an issue. The heatsink can bump into the power supply.
You can check that dimension on your current computer, before
buying.

In other cases, depending on the width of your computer case,
some of the six inch high heatsinks, bump into things like ducts
or vents on the side panel. I've removed the plastic
duct on at least one computer case, to make more room.

And sinks like the Tuniq Tower, are just big in all dimensions.
(131 x 108 x 153mm).

I personally like solutions that bolt down to the motherboard,
because the screws only have to be tightened up enough to
hold the heatsink in place. Some other solutions that use
levers or clips, tend to bend the motherboard to an unacceptable
degree.

Paul
Old October 14th 08, 06:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
nospam

"Jim" wrote in message ...
I'm looking for some suggestions on the fans i should get.
I have no plans to overclock the old machine P4 3.2Ghz but would like to get
one of the quieter CPU fans, plus I'm also on the look out for some 80mm
case fans right now i just have stock Antec fans, I have posted in this
group as i suspect you guys (and girls) will know what your talking about.

TIA

Jim, I've had great luck with a Zalman CNPS9500LED on my P4
@3.6GHz.

What motherboard are you using? See if it supports CPU fan throttling.
I'm running mine at 60% except when under heavy load, and it's basically
inaudible.

Old October 17th 08, 04:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Norm[_6_]

Jim wrote:
I'm looking for some suggestions on the fans i should get.
I have no plans to overclock the old machine P4 3.2Ghz but would like to get
one of the quieter CPU fans, plus I'm also on the look out for some 80mm
case fans right now i just have stock Antec fans, I have posted in this
group as i suspect you guys (and girls) will know what your talking about.

For a quiet and reliable fan it's hard to beat Panaflo.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/80120mmfans.html