overclocking and PCI card ?

Old October 15th 08, 01:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
mhr.live

Default overclocking and PCI card ?

Hi everybody I have Asrock 1333 945G mobo, E2160 cpu , 9600GT
FSB set to 233 mhz and PCIE to 104mhz and Vccm to hight
the last week I bought a DVB card (skystar2) its new after I plug the
card and install the software I found that the tuner is damaged ... Im
afraid that my mobo damaged the card cause tomorrow I will get another
DVB card ...
so my question is my mobo with these OC setting can damage a PCI
card ?
and how to know my mobo clock generator IC? , I cant find the name on
board !!
Old October 15th 08, 02:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

mhr.live wrote:
Hi everybody I have Asrock 1333 945G mobo, E2160 cpu , 9600GT
FSB set to 233 mhz and PCIE to 104mhz and Vccm to hight
the last week I bought a DVB card (skystar2) its new after I plug the
card and install the software I found that the tuner is damaged ... Im
afraid that my mobo damaged the card cause tomorrow I will get another
DVB card ...
so my question is my mobo with these OC setting can damage a PCI
card ?
and how to know my mobo clock generator IC? , I cant find the name on
board !!

Is that the full model name of the motherboard ? Asrock makes
a number of different 945G motherboards. Here is an example
of one of them.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/ConRo...2(Enlarge).jpg

In that picture, if you look near the Northbridge, the main power
connector, and the 1x4 molex connector, there is a chip. The
chip seems to have a RealTek symbol on it (a "crab"). RealTek doesn't make
a lot of clock generators, and the web page doesn't mention something
specific for 945G. Check this page, and see if the listed part
numbers, match any number printed on the top of that chip. The chip
is a dual-in-line package, with a quartz crystal nearer to the
two power connectors. The quartz crystal is the timebase for the
synthesis done inside the chip.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/p...vel=4 &Conn=3

You can damage anything, if you put your mind to it :-)

The PCI slots on the motherboard, appear to me to be using
5V keying.

And the Skystar2 depicted here, also has 5V keying. So that
probably isn't the problem.

http://bytelive.com/wiki/tiki-index....atellite+Cards

I think there is a Firewire chip on the motherboard. It may
be connected to the PCI bus as well. I wonder if it
got damaged ? Do you see a Firewire entry in Device
Manager ?

Paul
Old October 15th 08, 08:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
mhr.live

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/p...ngid=1&PNid=16....

You can damage anything, if you put your mind to it :-)

The PCI slots on the motherboard, appear to me to be using
5V keying.

And the Skystar2 depicted here, also has 5V keying. So that
probably isn't the problem.

http://bytelive.com/wiki/tiki-index....atellite+Cards

I think there is a Firewire chip on the motherboard. It may
be connected to the PCI bus as well. I wonder if it
got damaged ? Do you see a Firewire entry in Device
Manager ?

* * Paul

thanx for reply Paul ,
my mobo is ConRoe1333-D667 R3.0
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...D667%20R3.0&s=

I dont see any firewire entry in device manager I wonder if my mobo
have this option ?

device manager report :
******************** IRQ SUMMARY
IRQ Usage Summary: (ISA) 0 System timer (ISA) 4 Communications
(PCI) 5 Intel(R) 82801G
(ISA) 8 System CMOS/real
(ISA) 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant
*(PCI) 10 Ethernet Controller (ISA) 13 Numeric data
(ISA) 14 Primary IDE
(PCI) 16 Intel(R) 945G/GZ/GC/P/PL
(PCI) 16 NVIDIA GeForce
(PCI) 16 Microsoft UAA
(PCI) 16 Intel(R) 82801G
(PCI) 16 Intel(R) 82801G
(PCI) 17 Intel(R) 82801G
(PCI) 18 Intel(R) 82801G
(PCI) 19 Intel(R) 82801G
(PCI) 19 Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH
(PCI) 22 SMC EZ Card
(PCI) 23 Intel(R) 82801G
(PCI) 23 Intel(R) 82801G
******************** DMA USAGE
Resource Summary Report -
DMA Usage Summary: 3 ECP Printer Port (LPT1) 4 Direct memory access
controller ******************** MEMORY SUMMARY
Memory Usage Summary: [00000000 - 0009FFFF] System
[000A0000 - 000BFFFF] PCI
[000A0000 - 000BFFFF] Intel(R)
[000A0000 - 000BFFFF]
[000C0000 - 000CFFFF] System
[000D0000 - 000DFFFF] PCI
[000E0000 - 000FFFFF] System
[00100000 - 7FFFFFFF] System
[80000000 - FFFFFFFF] PCI
[BFF00000 - BFFFFFFF] Intel(R)
[C0000000 - DFFFFFFF] Intel(R)
[C0000000 - DFFFFFFF]
[E0000000 - EFFFFFFF]
[F9EFBC00 - F9EFBFFF]
[F9EFC000 - F9EFFFFF]
[F9F00000 - F9FFFFFF] Intel(R)
*[F9FFF000 - F9FFFFFF]
[FA000000 - FEAFFFFF] Intel(R)
[FA000000 - FBFFFFFF]
[FD000000 - FDFFFFFF]
[FEBFFC00 - FEBFFCFF]
[FEC00000 - FEC00FFF]
[FED13000 - FED19FFF] System
[FED1C000 - FED1FFFF]
[FED20000 - FED8FFFF]
[FEE00000 - FEE00FFF]
[FF380000 - FFBFFFFF] Intel(R)
[FFC00000 - FFF7FFFF]
[FFF80000 - FFFFFFFF] Intel(R)
******************** IO PORT SUMMARY
I/O Ports Usage Summary: [00000000 - 00000CF7] PCI
[00000000 - 0000000F] Direct
[00000010 - 0000001F] Motherboard
[00000020 - 00000021] Programmable
[00000022 - 0000003F] Motherboard
[00000040 - 00000043] System
[00000044 - 0000005F] Motherboard
[00000061 - 00000061] System
[00000062 - 00000063] Motherboard
[00000065 - 0000006F] Motherboard
[00000070 - 00000071] System
[00000072 - 0000007F] Motherboard
[00000080 - 00000080] Motherboard
[00000081 - 00000083] Direct
[00000084 - 00000086] Motherboard
[00000087 - 00000087] Direct
[00000088 - 00000088] Motherboard
[00000089 - 0000008B] Direct
[0000008C - 0000008E] Motherboard
[0000008F - 0000008F] Direct
Resource Summary Report - Page: 3 [00000090 - 0000009F] Motherboard
resources [000000A0 - 000000A1] Programmable
[000000A2 - 000000BF] Motherboard resources [000000C0 - 000000DF]
Direct memory
[000000E0 - 000000EF] Motherboard resources [000000F0 - 000000FF]
Numeric data processor [000001F0 - 000001F7] Primary IDE Channel
[00000274 - 00000277] ISAPNP Read Data
[00000279 - 00000279] ISAPNP Read Data
[00000290 - 0000029F] Motherboard resources [00000378 - 0000037F] ECP
Printer Port
[000003B0 - 000003BB] Intel(R) 945G/GZ/GC/P/PL
[000003B0 - 000003BB] NVIDIA GeForce
[000003C0 - 000003DF] Intel(R) 945G/GZ/GC/P/PL
[000003C0 - 000003DF] NVIDIA GeForce
[000003F6 - 000003F6] Primary IDE Channel [000003F8 - 000003FF]
Communications
[00000400 - 0000041F] Intel(R) 82801G
[00000480 - 000004BF] Motherboard resources [000004D0 - 000004D1]
Motherboard resources [00000778 - 0000077F] ECP Printer Port
[00000800 - 0000087F] Motherboard resources [00000900 - 0000090F]
Motherboard resources [00000A79 - 00000A79] ISAPNP Read Data
[00000D00 - 0000FFFF] PCI bus [0000A880 - 0000A88F] Intel(R) 82801GB/
GR/GH
[0000AC00 - 0000AC03] Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH
[0000B000 - 0000B007] Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH
[0000B080 - 0000B083] Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH
[0000B400 - 0000B407] Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH
[0000B480 - 0000B49F] Intel(R) 82801G
[0000B800 - 0000B81F] Intel(R) 82801G
[0000B880 - 0000B89F] Intel(R) 82801G
[0000BC00 - 0000BC1F] Intel(R) 82801G
[0000C000 - 0000CFFF] Intel(R) 82801G
*[0000C800 - 0000C8FF] Ethernet Controller [0000D000 - 0000DFFF]
Intel(R) 945G/GZ/GC/P/PL
[0000DC00 - 0000DC7F] NVIDIA GeForce
[0000E800 - 0000E8FF] SMC EZ Card 10/100
[0000FFA0 - 0000FFAF] Intel(R) 82801G

Old October 16th 08, 02:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

mhr.live wrote:
On Oct 15, 3:39 pm, Paul wrote:
mhr.live wrote:
[...]

snip

That is a different board than the one I was looking at.
You're right, the ConRoe1333-D667 is pretty basic, and
I don't see any other PCI bus devices you can use for a
health check. (The Asrock web site claims the Ethernet
chip is connected to PCI Express.) So there is no way to
gauge whether things are working right, unless you install
and test some other plugin PCI card.

On the ConRoe1333-D667, I think the clock generator is between
the PCI Express x16 slot and the first PCI slot. I only have
a picture on Newegg to look at, and the picture isn't that clear.
I cannot even make out a brand symbol on it.

Paul
Old October 16th 08, 01:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
mhr.live

On Oct 16, 3:43*am, Paul wrote:
mhr.live wrote:
On Oct 15, 3:39 pm, Paul wrote:
mhr.live wrote:
[...]

I just got a new skyatar2 DVB card after RMA.. I don't plug it yet
cause Im little afraid , until make that my mobo is fine ...
ok I can find the clock generator
I tested another PCI network adapter and windows can install the
network adapter driver fine .... does that mean PCI bus is OK ?
Old October 16th 08, 01:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

mhr.live wrote:
On Oct 16, 3:43 am, Paul wrote:
mhr.live wrote:
On Oct 15, 3:39 pm, Paul wrote:
mhr.live wrote:
[...]

Connect the network adapter to your cable modem or ADSL and
test it ? Try a download. That would prove it is OK.

If Windows will install a network driver, then it sees the card
and was able to read the config data. The reason I suggest a
little more testing, is to push some data through the PCI bus.

Paul
Old October 16th 08, 02:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'mhr.live' wrote:
Hi everybody I have Asrock 1333 945G mobo, E2160 cpu , 9600GT
FSB set to 233 mhz and PCIE to 104mhz and Vccm to hight
the last week I bought a DVB card (skystar2) its new after I plug the
card and install the software I found that the tuner is damaged ... Im
afraid that my mobo damaged the card cause tomorrow I will get another
DVB card ...
so my question is my mobo with these OC setting can damage a PCI
card ?
and how to know my mobo clock generator IC? , I cant find the name on
board !!

_____

Overclocking will not hurt the PCIe bus or any PCIe card. And especially
the VERY mild overclock from 100 MHz to 104 MHz will have no effect at all.
Neither will it improve performance.
But the DVB card isn't plugged into the PCIe bus, but rather the PCI card.
So even if your motherboard locks the PCI bus to the PCIe bus, the
difference between 33 MHz and 34 MHz is truly insignificant. A PCI bus
speed much over 37 MHz can cause data corruption on hard drives, but no
physical damage.

Phil Weldon