Cheap, small, Quiet Heatsink/fan for overclocking?

Old February 23rd 08, 01:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
area51[_2_]

Default Cheap, small, Quiet Heatsink/fan for overclocking?

I'm looking for a cheap ($30-$35), small, Quiet heatsink/fan for
overclocking and intel oem e2180. I have an Abit IP35-e MB, and an Antec
SLK1600 case. Antec was of no help in telling me what size heatsink will
fit my case.
Is the Scythe Mine Rev. B good? I've read it's not good for overclocking.
I've never overclocked, and I'm completely lost on picking a heatsink.

Thanks,

area51
Old February 23rd 08, 02:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
peter

No bones about it I like Thermalright.....inexpensive cooling solutions
wether you are overclocking or not.
They sell without fans(most of them) so that you can add the fan of your
choice.....quiet or not so quiet

http://www.thermalright.com

take a look at the SI 128 add a quiet 120mm fan like the
Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120MM Cooling Fan 1600RPM 28.0DBA 63.7CFM FDB
about 70.00 with fan
or
MST9775 LE for an all inclusive cooling solution.......about 30.00 bucks
or
HR01 for a Fanless cooler that with the addition of a 120 mm fan will let
you OC...about 70.00 bucks with fan and Fanduct

other persons opions will vary but the reviews have always placed
Thermalright products in the top 3 if not at #1
Do a little Google on them and then you decide...
peter

Old February 23rd 08, 05:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'area51' wrote:
I'm looking for a cheap ($30-$35), small, Quiet heatsink/fan for
overclocking and intel oem e2180. I have an Abit IP35-e MB, and an Antec
SLK1600 case. Antec was of no help in telling me what size heatsink will
fit my case.
Is the Scythe Mine Rev. B good? I've read it's not good for overclocking.
I've never overclocked, and I'm completely lost on picking a heatsink.

_____

The first limiting factor on your CPU heatsink is more likely to be the
motherboard than the system case.

The height of components like capacitors near the CPU socket are a problem
for some heatsinks that are relatively small.

Some motherboard memory slots are place close enough to the CPU socket that
some relatively small heatsinks interfere with the nearest.

Also the orientation of the heatsink air flow is important; make sure that
hot air from the CPU heatsink is not dumped into the heatsink for the
Northbridge.

Finally, small and quiet don't exactly go with overclocking since one of the
trade-offs made when overclocking; a cooler CPU allows a higher clock
frequency.

However, you might get a 50% overclock using just the stock Intel heatsink
(one advantage of buying a boxed, retail CPU.) Cheap is easy, there are
many suitable heatsinks available for $35 US or less that should give a good
overclock with your E2180. Ventilation of the entire system case is also
important since the temperature of air ENTERING the CPU heatsink should be
as low as possible.

Your goals, in order, should be

a heatsink/fan that will fit on your motherboard

a heatsink/fan that has a good orientation to move air through the case
and out the rear without dumping hot air into the rest of the system

a heatsink/fan that a low thermal resistance and a high air flow

a quiet heatsink.

From my experience with a ThermalTake i7 and an E4300 @ 2,7 GHz and an EVGA
680i motherboard, I'd recommend it. The price is less than $35 US, and it
is quieter than my hard drives.

Phil Weldon

"area51" wrote in message
I'm looking for a cheap ($30-$35), small, Quiet heatsink/fan for
overclocking and intel oem e2180. I have an Abit IP35-e MB, and an Antec
SLK1600 case. Antec was of no help in telling me what size heatsink will
fit my case.
Is the Scythe Mine Rev. B good? I've read it's not good for overclocking.
I've never overclocked, and I'm completely lost on picking a heatsink.

Thanks,

area51

Very Quiet heatsink??? spock Overclocking 7 July 23rd 07 10:21 PM
small/cheap printer stephent Printers 5 July 7th 05 02:35 PM
Need a quiet heatsink and fan... Schism AMD x86-64 Processors 8 April 24th 05 11:57 PM
Press Release: Stealth Introduces Small Quiet Fanless PC. Stealth Computer Corp General 0 October 17th 03 03:21 PM
Press Release: Stealth Introduces Small Quiet Fanless PC Stealth Computer Corp General Hardware 0 October 17th 03 03:17 PM