Potential new blood for a.c.h.o.? Apple announces change to Intel!

Old June 9th 05, 10:46 PM
Phil Weldon

I'd say the announcement is very real; this has got to hurt sales of the
final runs of Power Chip Apples (except for the rush by true believers to
buy up the last of the 'real' Apples.) I do think that Apple OS will make
the jump to x86. It would seem to me that OSX for x86 would have a
significant market worth more than keeping the box closed. Apple might have
to give up its boutiques with the hardwood floors, but ...

Phil Weldon

"Richard Hopkins" wrote in message
"Ed Medlin" wrote in message...
From my understanding of S. Jobs' comments, OSX will not be able
to be run on typical X86 systems. They are probably going to use the
MB as a restraint IMO.

If that does turn out to be the case it'll be interesting to see how long
it takes the third party community to create a "fix". ;-)

Opinions are like a$$holes though.......everyone has one...:-) That
is about the only way I can think of to prevent it since about
everything else will be the same.

One can't help but wonder how strong Apple will make this "protection". It
could be a thinly disguised attempt to evaluate market demand for a "true"
X86 version of OS-X.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Old June 10th 05, 03:42 AM
Richard Hopkins

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
ink.net...
I do think that Apple OS will make the jump to x86. It would seem to
me that OSX for x86 would have a significant market worth more than
keeping the box closed.

Exactly, and that was my underlying point. They'll expect to pick up market
share from many of the graphics/web/etc. bods, while also probably trading
on OS-X's generally better (than Windoze) security.

What short term hardware sales losses they have to put up with in the short
term they should make up for many times over by being able to break out of
the niche they've occupied for the past howevermanyitis years, and into the
mainstream PC market.

....although it'll probably also make Microsoft a little more competitive
too, so all in all good news, if/when it happens.

Old June 12th 05, 03:29 PM
Phil Weldon

'Chris' wrote, in part: well, actually, he only posted a URL.

Interesting speculation. But don't blogs seem kinda pathetic?

Phil Weldon

news:1118583535.a737c56f64f5180069823038f1e181d2@t eranews...

Old June 12th 05, 07:50 PM
Chris

Indeed, some bloggers focus on patehetic pleas and rants, disregarding
logic entirely, and making countless emotional appeals for their
particular flavor of thought.

Come to think of it, so do some newspaper editorial writers. So do some
newspaper reporters, and editors for that matter. And some politicians,
and some presidents...

about blogs:

http://www.jacc.com/articles/mktg22.htm

Very briefly, some blogs are worth reading, and some are not. I
probably wouldn't have known about this one except for the slashdot article.

Here's the slashdot article that led me to the previously link.
http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl...&tid=179&tid=1

Richard Hopkins wrote:

thlink.net...

Old June 16th 05, 08:04 PM
Dorothy Bradbury

A nice development, although after the horse has bolted.
Would have been nice to have had OS/X competition earlier,
and the Apple GUI before that - more directly on i86 platform.

Computer usage is changing...
o Laptops beginning to dominate
---- IBM did not get a Mobile G5 in Apple laptop users hands
---- P-M conversely is a reasonable chip re speed & power
---- Laptops as desktop replacement are popular with business
---- Laptops are popular re 1) sunk cost 2) proprietary 3) growth market
o Desktops slightly shrinking, or bifurcating
---- Servers still being key -- eventually in dual-core forms
---- HTPC & Entertainment is growing -- multi-desktop ownership
---- SOHO 24/7 PC -- major 2nd PC market, quiet, low-power

However, so too might O/Systems...
o Unix is a good Enterprise O/S re cheap, proven, stable, secure
---- Solaris, Irix, AIX, Linux kitchen sink - The Internet
o Windows Enterprise is a proven solution with broad product suite
---- from web serving to dbase to email

It would be interesting to see if OS/X targets a full enterprise suite,
with the inherent benefits of Unix, yet the GUI usability from Apple
o That might have more than just usability benefits
o It might have a key IT staffing cost benefit re skills/time/mgt

Apache/Unix do better than Windows at least re 1) cost 2) security.
Managing a Win based web farm is rat-race on security updates,
whereas OS/X potentially could provide both easy-face & muscle.

Windows does have some peculiar characteristics of 1) doing things
in very peculiar ways and 2) re-inventing the wheel just to MSFTify it.

Of course Windows isn't standing still, but the change perhaps
goes a little deeper than just Apple using Intel chips - it opens the
door to O/S level competition which has long been needed really.

Will be interesting - AMD keeps the pressure on Intel similarly.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet NMB & Panaflo fans