P2 LX and GF4Ti

Old June 14th 05, 11:43 AM
~misfit~

~misfit~ wrote:
GinTonix wrote:
And the official max memory amount for ZX is 256MB instead of 768 for
BX. However, e.g. Abit has manufactured a ZX board (ZM6 it was?)
where you can have more. The ZM6 (if it was called that) has three
slots but there were some rules what kind of sticks you could use in
which slots. Can't remember the fitting rules any more, though.

The third slot could only have a single-sided module in it. At least
according to the bit I found out about ZX after realising my faux pas.

In fact the chipset could address four sides with a max of 64MB per side.
The board you mentioned (which just happens to come up first if I put 'Intel
XZ' into Google) had three slots so that you could utilise more than just 2
x 128 to get to 256. You could use 1 x 128 and 2 x 64 if the 64s were
single-sided or 3 x 64 if that's what you had.
--
~misfit~

Old June 14th 05, 11:53 PM
David Maynard

~misfit~ wrote:

~misfit~ wrote:

GinTonix wrote:

[...]

Yes. Addressing is really by, using the old terminology, "bank" (new
terminology being "rank") so "memory slots" is not entirely accurate. It's
usually the case that "memory slots" allow 'double sided' sticks, which
means two ranks, one on each 'side' (although the physical location is
irrelevant) in the one 'slot'.

The ZX can handle 4 ranks. That would be two 'normal' slots of double sided
RAM but it's allowable to distribute the 4 ranks among more than 2 slots as
long as everything adds to 4 ranks.

That adds some flexibility while adding confusion (if one assumes each slot
can take double sided sticks).

I'm not entirely sure about the 64 Meg per rank. That was the 'official'
number when the BX and ZX chipsets were made because that was the state of
the art in memory modules at the time but the BX can actually take 128 Meg
(of 'standard' density) per rank for the afore mentioned 768meg total in
three slots. It would seem likely that the same case applies to the ZX but
I haven't checked to know for sure.

gf4ti vs. r9700 orlando Ati Videocards 22 June 11th 04 12:23 AM
gf4ti vs. r9700 orlando Nvidia Videocards 22 June 11th 04 12:23 AM
GF4Ti help Tamas Nvidia Videocards 1 January 2nd 04 08:52 AM
GF4Ti Piotrek Nvidia Videocards 3 October 27th 03 02:43 PM