DC Adapter question

Old June 11th 05, 09:56 PM
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 20:48:37 +0100, Mark McIntyre
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 23:57:58 -0700, in alt.internet.wireless , Jeff
Liebermann wrote:

Most of mine are plugged into power strips where such a compact
arrangement is benificial. However, there are ways to deal all manner
of wall warts.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/dri...l-wart-01.html

do you not find that the adaptors in the middle get kinda hot? I can
practically cook toast on the power strip under my desk at work.

Nope. I just checked with my wiz-bang new optical IR thermometer. My
pile of 8 wall warts is running quite cool. I added two switcher wall
warts to the top of the brown octopus connectors. Highest temperature
was 83F (ambient is 71F). Most of the wall warts in the photo are not
running. They go to my HP scanner, PCR-1000 receiver, Belkin KVM
switch, Kyocera PDA phone, Radio Shock RC electric car charger, and
other devices that are usually turned off. The ones running my
BEFW11S4 and Efficient 5260 DSL modem are always on, but run quite
cold. I suspect that if I turned everything on, it might get a bit
warm. I could measure the dissipation and calculate the heat rise
(based on black body radiation and surface area), but I'm lazy today.

I've had wall warts that ran very hot. Hot enough to burn my fingers
when I touched them. The nice thing about the hot ones is that they
don't last very long. I have a fair collection of replacements and
connectors. A substantial number of my operating wall warts are
replacement.

Incidentally, my photo of the octpus connectors plus power strip made
the rounds on an electrical safety mailing list. The result was some
really interesting email from electricians suggesting I was derranged,
isane, dangerous, unsafe, and in violation of several NEC code
sections. Absolutely nobody thought it was a good idea. Oh well.

The problem with the arrangement in the photo is that I have to glue
the brown octopus connectors to the power strip, or it will tend to
fall over. Xformers can only be installed in pairs. It works, but
isn't the greatest. Currently, I'm using several of those overpriced
flat two row power strips that are made to handle wall warts. The
density is about the same but the plugs are much easier to deal with.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 12th 05, 12:20 AM
VWWall

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

The problem with the arrangement in the photo is that I have to glue
the brown octopus connectors to the power strip, or it will tend to
fall over. Xformers can only be installed in pairs. It works, but
isn't the greatest. Currently, I'm using several of those overpriced
flat two row power strips that are made to handle wall warts. The
density is about the same but the plugs are much easier to deal with.

Here's an easy way to do it:

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...sp?T1=121+2570

I have used a "power control center" on every computer I've built.

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...search=&child=

With the little cords shown above they are very useful devices for
turning the power on only to the devices in use. They claim "surge
suppession", but I would not even consider them for that; the built in
circuit breaker might prevent a severe overload from tripping the mains
breaker. They make a good base to set the monitor on. :-)

--
Virg Wall
Old June 12th 05, 01:02 AM
Phil Weldon

Thanks for the URL. Have you ever seen a 3-prong AC adapter that attaches
permanently (serrated contacts on the female end) to a USA 3-prong AC power
plug and has a 'flip-up' ground pin. I've used it on 120 VAC power plugs
for temporary lighting, but no longer know of a source. Any ideas? The URL
you posted is quite useful, but does not seem to have that type of adapter.

Phil Weldon

"VWWall" wrote in message
news