p4p800d boot problems

Old June 6th 05, 08:29 PM
Tony

Default p4p800d boot problems

Hi! I have two of these boards (p4p800d) and I have 3 cpu's that
fit. Board A will post with any of the chips. The other (B) will
only post with the smallest chip. The chips are 1.7, 2.8c, and 3.2e.
I flashed both boards with the 10.19 bios.
I have changed the PS on board B. I've unplugged all the hardware
but the cpu, memory, and vid card. I've pulled the battery and set
the jumpers for 10 seconds. I've switched the memory around, tried
just one stick, reseated the vid card, etc. Tried different heat
sinks. Booted with INS depressed. All the troubleshooting things I
could think of. No beeps, no vid. no voice saying "overclock has
failed". Just fans going and drives making noise.
The 2.8 was in board B overclocked to a 247 fsb and had been stable
and happy all winter. I left it raytracing while I was at work on the
first hot day of spring and no air conditioning, and the cpu got hot
and the machine shut down. When I got home it booted but got hot
after a while and shut down again before I caught it on cpu-z temp
monitor. After that it wouldn't boot the 2.8 chip but when I switched
to the 1.7 no problems. So I put the 2.8 on the other board and went
on.
(As a side note the new bios helped the 2.8 go from a best stable
rendering oc at 247 fsb at 5/4 to a 250fsb 1:1 with stock vcore and
vdimm. All I did was flash the bios. And all I do with that machine
is render in Bryce which uses 100 cpu 24/7! So it is working very
hard, but it is stable so far. With a Artic Cooling Freezer 4 on it
now it rarely goes over 42 degrees)
Last week I got a Prescott 3.2 and tried it in board B with the new
bios but the board wouldn't post with it. Moved it to board A and it
works fine. Put the 2.8 back in board B and it still won't post. Only
the 1.7 will work in board B.
Anyone with ideas of how overheating would cause the board to only
see the slower cpu? A voltage issue? I have 400 w PS's. The heating
episode didn't seem to hurt the 2.8 chip at all. I'm wondering if the
AGP is not getting the voltage it needs to power the vid card?
Thanks for any thoughts, T
Tony Waterer
www.PaperDragons.com
Old June 7th 05, 09:55 AM
Tony

Thanks, Phil. Yeah, I though of that but both boards are the same
revision. And since the 2.8 used to work on board B and doesn't now I
figured it must be related to the heating episode. I thought I might
try a different vid card just in case it is AGP related somehow. I
was hoping there were some dip switches I could change like on my old
P2B board but I haven't found them. It all seems to be done in the
bios now and if the bios won't see the chip all of a sudden, I can't
figure out a work around to make it see a faster chip. Tony

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:44:43 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
wrote:

Just guessing, but check carefully for a revision number silk screened on
the motherboard, on a revision nmuber on a stick-on label. Also check on
the manufacturer's website for CPU compatibility for the motherboard; you
might find revision numbers listed there. If you find the two motherboards
differ in revision number it won't fix the problem, but at least you'll know
why it occurs.

Good luck.

Phil Weldon

.. .

Old June 7th 05, 11:08 PM
Phil Weldon

It doesn't make any difference what the BIOS 'sees' as far as CPU speed
since the multiplier is fixed on Intel CPUs since the Pentium II 300. Some
BIOS versions might not be able to DISPLAY the correct speed if the CPU
model was produced after that version was published.

Check the core voltage when using the Pentium 4 1.7; is it correct? Can you
raise it a bit and get the correct higher voltage?

Consider that a capacitor or two in the DC/DC downconvertor/voltage
regulator for the CPU core voltage on the motherboard has failed, and that
it can no longer supply the increased current demands for the 2.8 and 3.2
CPUs. This type of failure could present the problem you describe, and
overheating inside the system case certainly contributes to electrolytic
capacitor failure. There was a poster here who provided replacement
capacitors or would replace convertor/regulator capacitors on motherboards.

Phil Weldon

wrote:

Just guessing, but check carefully for a revision number silk screened on
the motherboard, on a revision nmuber on a stick-on label. Also check on
the manufacturer's website for CPU compatibility for the motherboard; you
might find revision numbers listed there. If you find the two
motherboards
differ in revision number it won't fix the problem, but at least you'll
know
why it occurs.

Good luck.

Phil Weldon

. ..

Old June 8th 05, 06:15 PM
Tony

Thanks, Phil! I tried your excellent suggestion and bumped the vcore
with the 1.7 to default for the 2.8, but when I put in the 2.8 it
still didn't work. From the sounds and the light sequence I now think
the cpu is probably being seen. . I think it may be posting up to the
agp test, but I never hear the vid card kick in. And most
frustratingly, the mobo voice that should be telling me what is
happing during the post (long version) is not working. Works great on
the other board, but not this one.
I expect you are right and a capacitor has gone taking something
necessary with it. Tony

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 22:08:02 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old June 9th 05, 05:34 PM
Phil Weldon

An open capacitor or two (if that's what has happened) wouldn't take
anything with it, but rather lower the performance of the switching DC/DC
down convertor/regulator; something that would become more apparent with a
CPU that draws requires more current and total power.

Phil Weldon