PLEASE NEED HELP WITH PACKARD BELL

Old January 17th 20, 03:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
[email protected]

Default PLEASE NEED HELP WITH PACKARD BELL

On Tuesday, February 18, 2003 at 9:02:43 PM UTC-5, Velix wrote:
Ben Myers a écrit :

Robert,

The original message you posted stated that the BIOS showed "640K Base Memory
03200K Extended 256 Shadow RAM Area". That all adds up to 4MB of memory on the
motherboard, hardly enough to do much of anything. The next step would be to
find some more memory to install in however many 72-pin SIMM sockets there are.
You will need fast-page mode memory with parity. I'm not absolutely certain
about the requirement for parity. It may be possible to disable parity checking
on the motherboard. The motherboard is of the vintage that probably accepts
only 4MB and 16MB capacities. Try for at least a couple of 16MB SIMMs, taking
the total system memory to at least 32MB, enough to run a fairly basic Windows
95. (I have an old IBM 486 ThinkPad color notebook with 40MB, and it loads and
runs Windows 95, word processor, web browser, essentially one program at a
time.) ... Ben Myers

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 20:05:09 GMT, REH wrote:

Velix
donotreplybymail@nospamformeireallydontcaretodob usinesswithspammers.com
wrote in
news:3E51989D.544165E0@nospamformeireallydontcare todobusinesswithspammers
.com:
Try an original PB restore boot disk made with files 141233.exe or
141357.exe. It should have a driver for Panasonic CR-5XX drives.
Download it from

http://web.archive.org/web/200104292.../archived_file
s/restdisks/index.html

Insert a formatted disk and run the app to create the boot disk.
Once you let it boot, hit escape until you get an A prompt.
Then look for your CD to be set as D, Y or Q. If not, try all the
letters left.

Good luck
Velix

I tried your suggestion, and it worked. The Packard Bell will now boot
with CD ROM support. Unforunately Windows 95 will not install on it. Says
that it needs 2,816,000 bytes of extended memory. Error reads "Not enough
free extended/XMS to run setup. Setup needs approximately 2816000
extended/XMS memory to run setup.

This Packard Bell had Windows 95 on it to begin with! Can anyone PLEASE
tell me what to do to get Windows 95 OS back on this rickety, blankety,
blank, blank computer? Any information will most certainly be appreciated.

Thanks for all of the help so far on this.

Robert,
London, Kentucky

Try to download file 142589-03.exe instead to create a boot disk. It is made to
startup Win95 and contains the drivers for your cd drive. Maybe your Win95
installation problem was caused because the other two disks were made for Win3.11
since you already had Win95 on the system before. Same procedure as before to create
the disk, let it boot and hit escape until you get the A prompt, look for the cd
drive to be set up has Y.

Good luck
Velix

I realize how old this is and I'm sure nobody is going to reply at this point, but does anyone know where I can find 142589-03.exe? It's the one file that seems to no longer exist at that site and I need it to restore my Packard Bell!
Old January 30th 20, 04:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

This is a simple fix metronid
Answer is on ELECTORS SITE.
I PUBLISHED A WORK AROUND.

Packard Bell and the CR-563-B Robert E. Watts Packard Bell Computers 0 June 4th 07 12:29 AM
NEC Packard Bell Z1 SparklesHRH Packard Bell Computers 5 May 14th 04 05:33 AM
Old Packard Bell rex downer Homebuilt PC's 3 December 8th 03 04:19 PM
Old Packard Bell rex downer Packard Bell Computers 3 December 8th 03 04:19 PM
Packard Bell Joshua Klehm General 2 June 23rd 03 05:57 PM