Presario 5000 Series, Replacing Motherboard, etc

Old December 31st 03, 02:39 PM

Default Presario 5000 Series, Replacing Motherboard, etc

My Presario 5005CL would freeze, and then frequently not reboot, even
after sitting overnight, not even getting to the POST or the red
Compaq logo. I concluded the problem was probably motherboard or CPU
or PS, in that order.. So...

Bought an MSI KM2M Combo-L, which looked like it would fit nicely (it
does) and would allow me to keep the PC-100 memory (unless I need to
replace the CPU.) Then I found that it requires the separate 4-pin
12v. power for the CPU, which the Compaq supply does not provide. So
I bo't an Enermax 350w ATX supply, which also fits nicely.

Getting to the point... Next step is to connect the front panel items
to the MB. I found http://www.angelfire.com/ex/kltsin/frontpin1.html
very helpful, but cannot correlate all of the leads to my new MB
interface. Am I correct that all I really need is to connect the
power button? So I can just move the orange and blue wires to the
appropriate pin in the connector and leave the others out of it?

Any other hints or considerations for this project are appreciated.

Chas.

Old December 31st 03, 08:25 PM
donutbandit

wrote in
:

[...]

Aftermarket mobos come with a lot of hookup options, simply because they
are not tailored for one machine, but as a fit all. Just hook up the power
button and forget it.

Old January 5th 04, 08:55 PM

ñKs, I am pleased to tell you that when I turned it on for the smoke
test, PnP detected everything, and then it was just a matter of
installing the drivers for the new onboard functions. Everything
looks good. I am now posting with that computer.

No one is more pleased or surprised than I.
I will probably never know whether the problem was in the MB or PS; my
guess remains the MB, but it really doesn't matter...

And to "donutbandit:" Thanks for the advice on the front panel pins.
I don't miss the LEDs, which I rarely looked at anyway.

Chas.

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 , "ñKs" wrote:

Let me know if this works.

.. .