How to force resolution (make 9700 keep its resolution at startup)

Old September 12th 03, 09:36 PM
Thomas Gunnarsrud

Default How to force resolution (make 9700 keep its resolution at startup)

Hi!

I have a problem.. My monitor cable somtimes have a bad connection and I
think that is why some times when I start up WinXP the resolution is set to
640x480x8bit.

So, how can I force this damn thing to always keep its set resolution at
1024x768x32 regardless of what it senses of connected or not connected
monitors?? A little frustrating to change this almost every time.

Any suggestions how this can be done? My old GF mx never did this. Btw, the
monitor cable is not with a plug at the monitor side and not so easily
changed. And the montior will be dumped for a LCD in a few months anyway...

Thanks for your help!

Old September 13th 03, 12:53 AM
Bob Knowlden

I believe that you can do this by turning off DDC, if you have the ATI
control panel installed.

Go to the Display control panel, Settings tab, Advanced button, Display tab.
Click on the monitor you're using, and uncheck the "Use DDC information"
tab. I hope that similar settings will be available in non-US versions of
the control panel, if that's what you're using.

The risk with this is that you will not be limited to choosing only settings
that the monitor will support. Some older monitors can be damaged by being
run out-of-range, but newer ones protect themselves from that. (It would be
useful to recall how to boot into Safe Mode to reset the resolution/referesh
rate, should you make a mistake.)

HTH.

Bob Knowlden

Spam dodger may be in use. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

Old September 13th 03, 07:39 AM
Thomas Gunnarsrud

"Bob Knowlden" wrote in message
I believe that you can do this by turning off DDC, if you have the ATI
control panel installed.

Forgot to mention that my monitor doesn't support DDC. So I think the
problem is as if you don't turn the monitor on before you boot - the card
doesn't sense that there is a monitor connected and starts up in a "safe"
low resolution. I've innstalled the control panel and looked over all
settings but can't find anything that should help this problem.

Thomas