A7V266-E Hard Disk Failures

Old November 8th 03, 09:41 AM
D I

Default A7V266-E Hard Disk Failures

Hi,
I have a feeling something is wrong with the primary hard disk cable or
the controller of my A7V266-E motherboard.

I have two hard drives on my Primary cable -- a Quantum Fireball on the
Primary Master and a Maxtor on the Primary Slave. My CD-RW is on the
Secondary Master. I've had this setup for a few months without problems.

What happens, though, is that recently whenever I turn the computer on
after a while, the POST screen will sometimes show "NONE" for the
Primary Slave. Upon bootup to the Windows XP desktop, however, it was
viewable under My Computer, but sometimes the drive is slow to access
and makes clicking noises.

Other times, if things were ok at bootup, after at least an hour of
using the computer, i'd hear a "cluck" sound and then the desktop would
freeze. Once it was after quitting a computer game that uses both the
Master drive and the CD-ROM drive, another time it was while burning a
CD from the Slave drive, and another time it was while writing an email.
So, if I press the Reset button, sometimes the Primary Slave is not
seen at POST, and other times the Primary Master is not seen instead
(only one drive but not both)! If I turn the PC off and then on, it's
back to normal, showing both drives at POST.

I've tried using different power supply connectors to the hard drives
but i still get the same problem. I tried re-connecting the IDE cables
as well. I don't think though that this is a hard disk problem, but
rather a problem with the cable or the primary controller. Could I be
right?

I have now put the Primary Slave onto the Secondary Slave connection now
and i'll see if I get any more failures. If the Primary Master fails
again, maybe I should buy a new IDE cable and try it out?

-Danial
Old November 8th 03, 08:30 PM
Ralf Bartzke

D I schrieb:
Hi,
I have a feeling something is wrong with the primary hard disk cable or
the controller of my A7V266-E motherboard.

Warning, you can lose data on your harddisk.

Remove all memory modules and use it accurately again.
Check your memory.

Old November 9th 03, 04:47 AM
Randy

Had one of these. Defective, so I returned it. They sent a "replacement"
but it was screwed up too. Similar symptoms to yours. Change of memory
didn't help. Nothing on the MB but HD, floppy, and video card. Threw it in
the trash.

Old November 9th 03, 08:47 AM
D I

One thing I forgot to say was that my hard disk problems seemed to have
started since the day I adjusted my noisy Antec hard drive fan in the
case (I eventually removed it a week later). I had to push the hard
drive a bit away from the fan as well. From doing so I think the hard
drive touched the memory sticks, because when I turned on the PC, the
Primary Master drive name in POST showed some garbage characters
(instead of "Quantum")! So I had to fix up the positioning of the
Primary Master and power up again.

After reading your post I did take out and re-insert the memory modules
(256 x 2 DDR 2100). I now have one hard drive in Primary Master and
the other in Secondary Slave. Nothing's on Primary Slave now. So far
so good.

Danial.

Ralf Bartzke wrote:
D I schrieb:

Hi,
I have a feeling something is wrong with the primary hard disk cable
or the controller of my A7V266-E motherboard.

Warning, you can lose data on your harddisk.

Remove all memory modules and use it accurately again.
Check your memory.

how to test psu and reset to cmos to default Tanya General 23 February 7th 05 10:56 AM
Usb Hard disk caddy JF General 4 January 3rd 05 06:41 PM
Hard disk failure and security lock [email protected] General 2 December 16th 04 12:02 PM
HDD LED responds to CD-ROM, not hard disk Steve Kobes Homebuilt PC's 7 November 22nd 04 01:10 AM
Laptop Hard Disk Andy Foster General 7 June 30th 03 04:23 PM