AMD CPU driver... what's it for?

Old May 23rd 07, 04:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Noozer

Default AMD CPU driver... what's it for?

I'm doing my rounds, updating the drivers for my hardware, and came across a
CPU driver on the AMD website... AMD CPU setup v1.3.2.16.

I don't see any AMD stuff under Add/Remove Programs, so I can't say if I've
ever installed this software.

What does it do for the user?

Mainboard is a DFI LanParty nF4 Ultra-D. Processor is an Opteron 165 1.8Ghz
CPU, currently running 2.41Ghz. OS's are Windows XP Pro SP2 + all updates
and OpenSUSE 10.2 Linux.

Old May 23rd 07, 10:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Sleepy

"Noozer" wrote in message
I'm doing my rounds, updating the drivers for my hardware, and came across
a CPU driver on the AMD website... AMD CPU setup v1.3.2.16.

I don't see any AMD stuff under Add/Remove Programs, so I can't say if
I've ever installed this software.

What does it do for the user?

Mainboard is a DFI LanParty nF4 Ultra-D. Processor is an Opteron 165
1.8Ghz CPU, currently running 2.41Ghz. OS's are Windows XP Pro SP2 + all
updates and OpenSUSE 10.2 Linux.

Its probably the Cool n Quiet driver which causes stability issues when you
overclock so dont use it myself on my A64 3700 @ 2.7 and nor does my brother
on his Opteron 165 @ 2.5 - we both use Arctic Cooling heatsinks which are
quiet and the CPUs run at 40c so who needs Cool n Quiet anyway.