Windows 98 on Inspiron 9100 laptop, wondering about tips for installing Duel boot with XP Pro

Old December 19th 05, 04:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Windows 98 on Inspiron 9100 laptop, wondering about tips for installing Duel boot with XP Pro

Has anyone installed Windows 98 on an Inspiron 9100?

If so, can you share any tips, such as where to obtain drivers, how to
boot up without a Windows 98 Startup Disk (normally on floppy), etc?

Thanks in advance.

I have some Windows 98 programs I don't want to live without that are
not possible to run under XP, even in Win95 mode.

Also, i'm planning / hoping to be running Windows XP Professional on
another drive, and select at bootup to run Windows 98.

I've done this before on a desktop, but it's been a while. I'm about
to purchase a copy of Windows XP Pro so i'm properly licensed.

I have a copy of Windows XP Pro from a Dell desktop. I was wondering
if I can bootup with this on my new drive, use it to partion the drive
(Fat32 for Windows XP, and an NTSF partion for XP), and then install
Windows 98.

Then when i've purchased XP Pro, i'll install it from my own disc.

Does this sound like it would work?

Thanks.

Old December 19th 05, 04:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Because Dell notebooks invariably use Intel chipsets, the best bet is to
identify all the chipsets (motherboard, video, audio, network) and obtain the
drivers from the Intel web site. If audio and network are not Intel, web sites
of chipset manufacturers MAY have Win 98 drivers. But I am not optimistic.

.... Ben Myers

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:49:18 GMT, "Tom Scales" wrote:

Might work, but you'll just have to try. I would be fearful that there are
not drivers for some of the options given the age of the OS.
.. .

Old December 19th 05, 05:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Thanks for your comments. I've seen people on forums that mentioned
installing Windows 98 on an Inspiron 9100. Seems like they were able
to do it, but they didn't explain how they did it.

I purchased a software synthesizer program that I really like years
ago. I paid over $200 for it, and the company went out of business.
They did not make a Windows XP version.
I plan on buying an external soundcard, that supports Windows 98.

I also have some other Windows 98 software, but that's by far the most
important one to me.

I could probably live without the wireless network driver, modem, and
a few of the other features, but if drivers weren't install Device
Manager would probably have yellow flags showing up, and it might be
possible the might wouldn't be too stable.

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:48:22 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

Because Dell notebooks invariably use Intel chipsets, the best bet is to
identify all the chipsets (motherboard, video, audio, network) and obtain the
drivers from the Intel web site. If audio and network are not Intel, web sites
of chipset manufacturers MAY have Win 98 drivers. But I am not optimistic.

... Ben Myers

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:49:18 GMT, "Tom Scales" wrote:

Might work, but you'll just have to try. I would be fearful that there are
not drivers for some of the options given the age of the OS.
. ..

Old December 19th 05, 06:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

you should bite the bullet and look into getting some of the hot new
synthesizer programs available now... usually the programs now blow away
anything from the past. you can also look into trying to get this
program to run properly under xp... i havnt seen too many programs not
work with some tweaking. there is also virtual computer software that
can run under xp that can simulate win98 envrionments.

what you want could work, got nothing to lose...
i would use a partition software to split the main drive, and create a
fat32 partition, and install win98 directly to it for testing. if it
doesnt work, use the partition software to remove the 2nd and re-extend
the original partition back to full. you never need to mess with your
main xp partition. if you're in nyc area, i can help you with this.
Jay

Old December 19th 05, 09:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Thanks for the reply Jay.

I'm pretty up to date on the newer software synth programs, and I have
most of the ones I want. The old program I want to run came with at
least a thousand presets (Bitheadz Retro AS-1), and without a lot of
tweaking, I have not been able to duplicate all of the ones I really
like (a few dozen) and it is doubtful that i'd be able to. It also
directly supports my Phatboy midi controller knobs.

I'll figure out the partioning, i'm a pc consultant. I was just
asking what the best way to go about this was for a modern laptop
without a floppy. I'm used to doing it with a utility program that
came with the drive (none came the laptop drive), then boot Win98 off
the Startup disk floppy. Not options here.

It seems I should be able to bootup the XP Pro CD, create a FAT32 &
NTFS partion and exit.

Then find a way to bootup Windows 98 and install it without the floppy
drive. Then install XP pro, unless someone has a better suggestion.

I have an extra Flash Drive. Can I copy the Windows 98 Startup disk
to a flash drive, boot off the Flash Drive, then install the Windows
98 CD?

I'd rather avoid Partion Magic to do this, as i've seen computers have
to scan the drive for problems every so many months when they bootup
every now and then for strange problems. I've never seen these
problems creating a duel boot with XP Pro & Win98 having installed
them not using Partion Magic.

I'll be testing for now.

If I run into problems, I normally wipe out drives using the Delpart
utility, which I bootup with a Startup disk on floppy. This removes
the partions and makes the drive install like a new drive.

How can I bootup to run this utility since I don't have a floppy? Is
there a Dell utility on one of the CDs, or can I bootup with the XP CD
and then run Delpart?

(Ben Myers) wrote:

Because Dell notebooks invariably use Intel chipsets, the best bet is to
identify all the chipsets (motherboard, video, audio, network) and obtain the
drivers from the Intel web site. If audio and network are not Intel, web sites
of chipset manufacturers MAY have Win 98 drivers. But I am not optimistic.

... Ben Myers

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:49:18 GMT, "Tom Scales" wrote:

Might work, but you'll just have to try. I would be fearful that there are
not drivers for some of the options given the age of the OS.
m...

Old December 19th 05, 10:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

if you boot from the dell windows xp install cd, then you can choose to
partition and format only half your drive with ntfs for windows xp, then
go thru that install. then later boot off win98 and go thru same for
the other partition. you can boot the win98 off a flash drive if you
make it properly. there is a HP utility that helps make it bootable,
and then you copy the contents of the win98 floppy over to it.

being a "computer consultant" you may want to invest in a $30 usb floppy
for anytime like this and in the future you may need a floppy because
systems dont have them anymore, but all of the newer models support
booting from usb devices now. this is a cheaper and easier option than
trying to make a usb boot drive.

(Ben Myers) wrote:

Because Dell notebooks invariably use Intel chipsets, the best bet is to
identify all the chipsets (motherboard, video, audio, network) and obtain the
drivers from the Intel web site. If audio and network are not Intel, web sites
of chipset manufacturers MAY have Win 98 drivers. But I am not optimistic.

... Ben Myers

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:49:18 GMT, "Tom Scales" wrote:

Might work, but you'll just have to try. I would be fearful that there are
not drivers for some of the options given the age of the OS.
om...

Old December 19th 05, 11:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

wrote:

[...]

You haven't yet mentioned trying compatibility mode both for the
installers of the Win98 applications and the applications themselves.
Have you tried compatibility mode?

Old December 22nd 05, 09:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:21:57 -0500, Jay B wrote:

if you boot from the dell windows xp install cd, then you can choose to
partition and format only half your drive with ntfs for windows xp, then
go thru that install. then later boot off win98 and go thru same for
the other partition. you can boot the win98 off a flash drive if you
make it properly. there is a HP utility that helps make it bootable,
and then you copy the contents of the win98 floppy over to it.

being a "computer consultant" you may want to invest in a $30 usb floppy
for anytime like this and in the future you may need a floppy because
systems dont have them anymore, but all of the newer models support
booting from usb devices now. this is a cheaper and easier option than
trying to make a usb boot drive.

I booted a Windows XP Pro CD, and was able to partion both a FAT32 &
an NTFS.

It was a little tricky because it insisted on installing XP after
doing this each time, but I got it to work. Normally I use the
partioning software that comes with the hard drives, but this laptop
drive did not come with any.

To my surprise, it seems you can boot directly off a Windows 98se CD.
I thought that task required a floppy boot disk or another way around
it. Either that or some how Dell setup something in BIOS for this as
I was able to boot.

I have both Xp Pro & 98 installed on the drive now, but with a few
more issues to resolve.

The boot menu does apear to select XP Pro or Windows 98 as it should.

When I boot to XP, the drive is named either D: or F: rather than C:
I'd really like to keep it C: as this may cause trouble in the future
or I may accidently install something to C: as it defaults there.

Windows 98se does boot to C:

It seems when I did this on a desktop a few years back, both drives
apeared as C: when I booted to them.

I could probably live with calling the Windows 98se drive something
other than C: as it won't be used too often.

Is there an easy way I can rename my XP Pro drive as C: ?

Also, if anyone has any tips on obtaining Windows 98se drivers for a
Dell Inspiron 9100, i'd appreciate it.

The main driver missing that may cause problems is the IDE controller
board for the CD rom. So i'm not able to access the CD rom to install
more drivers or software. Fortunately I can boot up to XP, then copy
driver disks into a folder that I can access with Windows 98se.
Before I really start using this new drive (mostly XP Pro), i'd at
least like to be able to resolve the CD issue in Win98. I know it may
take time to find all the other drivers & experimenting to get Win98se
to work correctly on a modern laptop like this.

Once I make the switch from the old laptop to the new one (lots of
programs & files to install) , I don't want to have to repartion or
reformat the drive, period. Too time consuming to want to go through
that again.

I am pleased that the ability to swap drives is very easy &
convinient on the Inspiron 9100. There's a credit card slot on the
side and it just pulls out in a couple seconds. There's just one
screw, and it seems like it's optional to keep it there. The drive
seems to lock in place even without it.

So i'm working off the XP Home edition drive right now, and everything
is correctly setup here. But I need the XP Pro drive as my main drive
for my work.

Thanks again for any tips.
Old December 22nd 05, 09:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

You haven't yet mentioned trying compatibility mode both for the
installers of the Win98 applications and the applications themselves.
Have you tried compatibility mode?

I know that won't work in this case, so I don't even need to bother
trying it. If it were that simple, Bitheadz would have mentioned that
in their support forum, on the mailing list, etc. We've chatted many
times about XP support. Again, it's midi software that works at a
pretty low system level. And I have others too.

Also, one of my apps I want to use in Win98 will "Crash" XP if I
install it. Pretty bad, huh? I've seen it happen. You end up
needing to re-install XP. So be careful before installing any old
software with XP. Not only might the app fail to run, but it could
good up your entire Windows XP for working correctly.

Yet another great thing about being able to swap drives and test stuff
out.