Sound problems with new 9100

Old August 31st 05, 05:32 PM
richards

Default Sound problems with new 9100

I got my new 9100 a couple of days ago, and generally speaking it is
great, and I really pleased with it. It is very fast and very quiet.

This system has the Intel integrated audio, and uses the SigmaTel High
Def audio codec. Playback of sound through the speakers is fine, but
the mic/recording function is not working properly. It is possible to
capture speech (using a mic that works perfectly on a Dell 4100 with a
Soundblaster sound card), but the recording level is way too low. I
want to use this system with Skype, and it is barely usable at the
moment because of this problem.

I have installed the updated drivers recommended by Tom Scales in an
earlier post, and this seemed to help a bit, but didn't really cure
the problem.

I can't see any way to increase the mic gain (other than setting Voice
recording volume to the maximum, which I have done). Any suggestions
would be welcome.
Old August 31st 05, 09:28 PM
P Ruetz

"richards" wrote in message
I got my new 9100 a couple of days ago, and generally speaking it is
great, and I really pleased with it. It is very fast and very quiet.

I can't see any way to increase the mic gain (other than setting Voice
recording volume to the maximum, which I have done). Any suggestions
would be welcome.

I have the 9100 with the sound option you described.

Did you try selecting '1 Microphone Boost' in the mixer for the microphone?
You can find it under the 'Advanced' options. It tried it on mine and with
the boost on, the sound becomes completely distorted. I had to turn the
gain down to prevent saturation.

Hope this helps,
Peter

Old September 1st 05, 01:02 AM
richards

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:28:44 GMT, "P Ruetz"
wrote:

"richards" wrote in message
.. .
I got my new 9100 a couple of days ago, and generally speaking it is
great, and I really pleased with it. It is very fast and very quiet.

I can't see any way to increase the mic gain (other than setting Voice
recording volume to the maximum, which I have done). Any suggestions
would be welcome.

I have the 9100 with the sound option you described.

Did you try selecting '1 Microphone Boost' in the mixer for the microphone?
You can find it under the 'Advanced' options. It tried it on mine and with
the boost on, the sound becomes completely distorted. I had to turn the
gain down to prevent saturation.

Hope this helps,
Peter

Thanks for the suggestion.
That has really helped, although the mic still does not perform as
well as it does on my older computer, which has a Sound Blastercard. I
guess it is now as good as it going to get, though.
Thanks again.
Richard
Old September 1st 05, 10:38 AM
Hank Arnold

Have you tried tech support? The system is under warrantee....

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"richards" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:28:44 GMT, "P Ruetz"
wrote:

. ..