notebook secondary hard drive not in explorer list?

Old January 27th 04, 11:18 PM
Bob Boudewyns

Default notebook secondary hard drive not in explorer list?

Friends, I just added a secondary hard drive to my Gateway 9300 notebook. It
is placed in the floppy disk module slot.

The new secondary hard drive is recognized by the computer (WinXP Pro), I
find it listed in the System Properties Device Manager list.The properties
window says it is functioning correctly.

My problem is that it doesn't show up in my Windows Explorer list with the
other devices, so I can't use it for anything!

There is this additional peculiarity: the A:diskette drive which was removed
to open space for this new hard drive is still listed in the Device Manager.
Perhaps I need to delete that item? I have already disabled it and that
doesn't seem to help me find the new drive.

What should I do so I can access this newly installed drive? I think I'll
try deleting the floppy drive. I was hoping I wouldn't have to. Any other
suggestions?

--

Bob Boudewyns

Old January 28th 04, 05:47 PM
Tweek

Is the new drive partitioned and formatted? If it isn't, it won't be
assigned a drive letter. As far as the A: drive goes, you may need to
disable it in the bios, although sometimes windows just assumes you have a
floppy drive and it will still be listed.