HELP Upper Memory Area is gone in my prosignia 300

Old February 6th 04, 06:24 PM
Mario

Default HELP Upper Memory Area is gone in my prosignia 300

I've bought a prosignia 300 from a friend. The prosignia has 16 Mb intern
memory. I will use it for a linux router. First I install DOS on it. When I
type the dos command MEM I see:

Conventional: 638k
Upper: 0
Reservation: 0
Extended (XMS): 15,360k

Where's my Upper memory? Must I change something in the Bios. When I look
with mem/c I see that is nothing in the upper, there is no upper. What can
be the problem?

Mario

Old February 6th 04, 08:28 PM
Mario

Yes, but this is for the higher mem above 1 Mb. The upper is above 640k
convential and about 360k. I don't think I need Himem.sys to execute a
LOADHIGH?

"HH" schreef in bericht
. net...
Do you have HIMEM.SYS loading in CONFIG.SYS?
HH

l...

Old February 7th 04, 12:32 AM
HH

Nope, you need it to create upper memory. EMM386.EXE is for extended memory
above 1024 K.

HH

"Mario" wrote in message
l...
Yes, but this is for the higher mem above 1 Mb. The upper is above 640k
convential and about 360k. I don't think I need Himem.sys to execute a
LOADHIGH?

"HH" schreef in bericht
. net...
Do you have HIMEM.SYS loading in CONFIG.SYS?
HH

l...

Old February 7th 04, 01:29 AM
Earl F. Parrish

"HH" wrote in message
. net...
Nope, you need it to create upper memory. EMM386.EXE is for

extended memory
above 1024 K.

HH

You have your functions reversed. HIMEM.SYS is an extended memory
manager and also handles the first 64 kilobytes minus 16 bytes of
memory above 1024 kilobytes. EMM386.EXE is an expanded memory
emulator and also handles the upper memory area above 640 kilobytes
by remapping extended memory into that area. Without HIMEM.SYS,
EMM386.EXE has no upper memory to manage because extended memory
will not be recognized

--
Earl F. Parrish.

Old February 7th 04, 08:17 AM
Mario

Yes I understand, it's not the problem with the memory managers. I first
load himem and then emm386.

I think it's an other problem: The bios, videocard.... etc. uses upper
memory. When I switch the S6 switch on the mainbord (Invaldidates non
volatile RAM and configuration is cleared), I see 150k upper memory. Now
when I restart again I must load with the system configurations floppy's the
bios again because the memory is cleared. The BIOS information is stored in
the upper memory.

Computers alway uses this memory, but there is alway al little we can use to
load TSR's..... With the prosignia the whole upper is used. How can I
resolved this problem, I must have some UMA because I need some more
Conventiol memory.

Best Regards Mario the pizzaman.

"Earl F. Parrish" schreef in bericht

. net...

Old February 7th 04, 12:02 PM
Mario

Ok, but is it possible to get more Upper memory or is this not possible with
a compaq?

"Mario" schreef in bericht
l...
[...]

. net...

Old February 7th 04, 01:33 PM
Earl F. Parrish

"HH" wrote in message
. net...
Duh....They say memory is the second thing to go and I forget what

the first
is.
HH

"Earl F. Parrish" wrote in message

"HH" wrote in message
. net...
Nope, you need it to create upper memory. EMM386.EXE is for

extended memory
above 1024 K.

HH

You have your functions reversed. HIMEM.SYS is an extended

memory
manager and also handles the first 64 kilobytes minus 16 bytes

of
memory above 1024 kilobytes. EMM386.EXE is an expanded memory
emulator and also handles the upper memory area above 640

kilobytes
by remapping extended memory into that area. Without HIMEM.SYS,
EMM386.EXE has no upper memory to manage because extended memory
will not be recognized

--
Earl F. Parrish.

Do you have your Config.Sys statements like this?

EMM386 is activated with a statement in the CONFIG.SYS file. The
HIMEM.SYS driver must precede EMM386.EXE:

device=himem.sys
device=emm386.exe

To provide access to the UMA, either the RAM or NOEMS parameters
must be added:

device=emm386.exe noems (UMA only)
device=emm386.exe ram (UMA and EMS)

The words in parentheses are for information and are not part of the
Config.Sys statements.

--
Earl F. Parrish