Restoring Deskpro XL 6200

Old February 3rd 04, 11:35 PM
Britt Morelli Hansen

Default Restoring Deskpro XL 6200

I'm interested in installing Linux on my old Deskpro XL 6200. I have
downloaded the configuration utility, but it won't start from the floppy. I
get the following message:

172 EISA Configuration Nonvolatile Memory Invalid Initialization aborted
Run Configuration Utility
1782-Disk Controller Failure
162 System Options not set
Run Configuration Utility

Then I can resume with F1, and then it says

Invalid System Disk
Replace... etc.

All of this with configuration utility disk 1/4 in the floppy. Any ideas to
fix this would be greatly appreciated!

Old February 4th 04, 03:39 PM
Gereon Wenzel

Britt Morelli Hansen schrieb:

I'm interested in installing Linux on my old Deskpro XL 6200.

Nice Box, got one of these too.

I have
downloaded the configuration utility, but it won't start from the floppy. I
get the following message:

What exactly did you download?
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...load/7156.html
is listed for the /XL, but I prefer to set up all my EISA Compaqs using
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/13227.html

172 EISA Configuration Nonvolatile Memory Invalid Initialization aborted
Run Configuration Utility
1782-Disk Controller Failure
162 System Options not set
Run Configuration Utility

Then I can resume with F1, and then it says

Invalid System Disk
Replace... etc.

All of this with configuration utility disk 1/4 in the floppy. Any ideas to
fix this would be greatly appreciated!

Does the machine try to access the floppy(light, sound)?
Check floppy drive cable connections.
Try to clear the current configuration in CMOS (default boot device is
stored there).
Make sure Floppy boot is enabled (it can be disabled using the DIP
switches)
Try to write the system disks to a different Floppy drive,
if you have another system availiable.
Swap the deskpro floppy drive for a known good one,
probably the one you wrote the disks on.
If you have any other Compaq EISA System you can try to
boot a SCSI disk with exiting F10 service partition.
Unluckily the Deskpro/XL can't boot any of the SMARTstart CDs
used for setting up the Prosignia and Proliant servers.

Gereon
Old February 5th 04, 12:23 AM
Britt Morelli Hansen

"Gereon Wenzel" skrev i en meddelelse
Britt Morelli Hansen schrieb:

I'm interested in installing Linux on my old Deskpro XL 6200.

Nice Box, got one of these too.

I have
downloaded the configuration utility, but it won't start from the

floppy. I
get the following message:

What exactly did you download?
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...load/7156.html
is listed for the /XL, but I prefer to set up all my EISA Compaqs using
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/13227.html

Now I've tried both without succes...

172 EISA Configuration Nonvolatile Memory Invalid Initialization aborted
Run Configuration Utility
1782-Disk Controller Failure
162 System Options not set
Run Configuration Utility

Then I can resume with F1, and then it says

Invalid System Disk
Replace... etc.

All of this with configuration utility disk 1/4 in the floppy. Any ideas

fix this would be greatly appreciated!

Does the machine try to access the floppy(light, sound)?
Check floppy drive cable connections.

Light is on all the time, which may indicate a problem with the floppy? I've
checked the connections and they seem to be ok.

Try to clear the current configuration in CMOS (default boot device is
stored there).

Cleared it by setting sw 6 to on in 60sec. and then back to off.

Make sure Floppy boot is enabled (it can be disabled using the DIP
switches)

How is that? sw4=on overrides the EISA configuration diskette boot control.
Does that mean that it doesn't boot from floppy when on?

Try to write the system disks to a different Floppy drive,
if you have another system availiable.
Swap the deskpro floppy drive for a known good one,
probably the one you wrote the disks on.

I did the floppies on a laptop which makes it a bit difficult to swap
drives. I'll try to get my hands on another drive.

If you have any other Compaq EISA System you can try to
boot a SCSI disk with exiting F10 service partition.

Unfortunately not....

Unluckily the Deskpro/XL can't boot any of the SMARTstart CDs
used for setting up the Prosignia and Proliant servers.

Seems I'm a bit stuck unless there are other clever suggestions?! :-/

Gereon

Old February 5th 04, 03:35 PM
Gereon Wenzel

Britt Morelli Hansen schrieb:

Does the machine try to access the floppy(light, sound)?
Check floppy drive cable connections.

Light is on all the time, which may indicate a problem with the floppy? I've
checked the connections and they seem to be ok.

If its on _all_ the time this sound like a cable twisted by 180 degrees?

Try to clear the current configuration in CMOS (default boot device is
stored there).

Cleared it by setting sw 6 to on in 60sec. and then back to off.

Make sure Floppy boot is enabled (it can be disabled using the DIP
switches)

How is that? sw4=on overrides the EISA configuration diskette boot control.
Does that mean that it doesn't boot from floppy when on?

You can disable "Floppy boot" in the EISA config

If you have any other Compaq EISA System you can try to
boot a SCSI disk with exiting F10 service partition.

Unfortunately not....

Contact me if you can't find an appropriate drive,
I may have one spare?
The drive itself is a pretty generic Mitsumi drive,
just it has a Compaq Bezel that can be swapped easily.
Complete Compaq Floppies sell on epay.de frequently.
You may get a complete XL for a few EUR.

Gereon
Old February 5th 04, 11:22 PM
Britt Morelli Hansen

"Gereon Wenzel" skrev i en meddelelse
Britt Morelli Hansen schrieb:

Does the machine try to access the floppy(light, sound)?
Check floppy drive cable connections.

Light is on all the time, which may indicate a problem with the floppy?

I've
checked the connections and they seem to be ok.

If its on _all_ the time this sound like a cable twisted by 180 degrees?

Hey, you are right! :-) It works!! Stupid me... On the other side of the
cable it said "this side up". Wouldn't it make more sense if the back side
had said "this side down"?!

[...]

Thanks you so much for the assistance! :-)

Actually I'm trying to install Linux on the machine, but now the scsi drives
are giving me hard times. Red Hat 7.3 does not have the appropriate drivers.
Anyone out there who could direct me to the right place for this?

Gereon

Old February 6th 04, 12:19 PM
Gereon Wenzel

If its on _all_ the time this sound like a cable twisted by 180 degrees?

Hey, you are right! :-) It works!! Stupid me... On the other side of the
cable it said "this side up". Wouldn't it make more sense if the back side
had said "this side down"?!

Just a shot in the dark from own painful experience. (o;

Actually I'm trying to install Linux on the machine, but now the scsi drives
are giving me hard times. Red Hat 7.3 does not have the appropriate drivers.
Anyone out there who could direct me to the right place for this?

For me the the Tekram driver supplied with SuSE worked with the onboard
AMD SCSI. The Tekram DC-390 uses the same AMD SCSI chip.
No experience with Red Hat yet.
There may be a module called AM53C974 or tmscsim
http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/dc390/
There seem to be many people using this machine with LINUX,
even the onboard sound looks to be supported.
The onboard NIC is a PCI version of the AMD Lance chip called AMD
PC-Net.

Gereon

P.S. Feel free to ask further questions.
Old February 8th 04, 03:35 PM
Britt Morelli Hansen

[...]

Thanks again...:-) I tried the AM53C974 several years ago without luck and
gave up for this particular machine. It still doesn't work for me, but the
tmscsim worked nicely. Haven't done anything on the sound yet. Now I have
Red Hat 7.3 running. I wonder if there exists a driver to get my Compaq PD-1
LF-1094C drive to work both for cd's and rewritable optical disks. Now it
only seems to work with cd's?

Gereon

P.S. Feel free to ask further questions.

Questions re Compaq Presario CDS 954 & Deskpro 4000 JFM Compaq Computers 6 January 29th 04 11:39 PM
Can I upgrade my 1GHz Compaq Deskpro EN Intel 815e to something worthwhile Ziggy Compaq Computers 1 December 18th 03 09:40 PM
Old Skool Deskpro Upgrade Adam Richardson Compaq Computers 11 November 18th 03 10:40 PM
Query: Does my Deskpro EN support PCI graphics with DDR?? pisuku Compaq Computers 0 November 5th 03 09:24 AM
OT FS DeskPro CD's the yeti Compaq Computers 0 October 31st 03 11:42 PM