Compaq case - non compaq mobo?

Old July 23rd 03, 03:07 PM
Dan Marchant

Default Compaq case - non compaq mobo?

I have a DeskPro EX 866 Desktop. I am going to upgrade the mobo and many
of the components. Will a non-compaq mobo fit in the case or will that
too have to go in the skip?

Dan

Old July 23rd 03, 03:42 PM
HH

From the Compaq FAQ, reposted to the newgroup each week.
Q) Can I put a different motherboard in my Compaq?
A) Yes, but not really. The problems would be many, including:
1. Physical layout. Finding one with the same Input/output connector layout
at the back would be very difficult.
2. Onboard connectors. The front panel wires for the onn/off switch and hard
disk/power LEDs go to a single connector designed to fit the pins on the
current board. So, unless you feel comfortable cracking connectors or
re-splicing wires, don't try it.
3. Power Supply connectors on earlier models may be proprietary.
So, generally speaking for most users, the board is NOT easily upgradeable.

HH

Old July 24th 03, 06:59 AM
the yeti

I just swapped out a MB on a 5461

1. Physical layout. Finding one with the same Input/output connector layout
at the back would be very difficult.

This was no problem

2. Onboard connectors. The front panel wires for the onn/off switch and hard
disk/power LEDs go to a single connector designed to fit the pins on the
current board. So, unless you feel comfortable cracking connectors or
re-splicing wires, don't try it.

This sucked, I just used a plug I had laying around, hacked it to
pieces with a razor blade and did the splice thing. Only the power
switch works now, the HDD and Power lights are not hooked up.

3. Power Supply connectors on earlier models may be proprietary.

No problem here

So, generally speaking for most users, the board is NOT easily upgradeable.

The way the case was set up sucked for the new board, the processor
was right under the HD cage and so was the IDE connectors. Routing
the cables and trying to get airflow was interesting at best, but it
works again.
Old July 25th 03, 02:08 PM
[NL]Sandman

the yeti wrote:

This sucked, I just used a plug I had laying around, hacked it to
pieces with a razor blade and did the splice thing. Only the power
switch works now, the HDD and Power lights are not hooked up.

I have the same problem here.
Used the compaq case of the 5726 with another motherboard, that worked
fine (used also a razor blade to splice the connector)but now I wan't
to place back the compaq motherboard and I get stuck with the power
button connector.
The only thing I know is how to trace back where each colord wire
stands for, I don't have any clue where the pins on the board stands
for.

Compaq don't give that info and the original board manifacture Mitac
does'nt store any compaq info.

Can you give me some tips?

Grtzzz mr.sandman
Old July 25th 03, 06:43 PM
Rick

"[NL]Sandman" wrote in message ...
the yeti wrote:

This sucked, I just used a plug I had laying around, hacked it to
pieces with a razor blade and did the splice thing. Only the power
switch works now, the HDD and Power lights are not hooked up.

I have the same problem here.
Used the compaq case of the 5726 with another motherboard, that worked
fine (used also a razor blade to splice the connector)but now I wan't
to place back the compaq motherboard and I get stuck with the power
button connector.
The only thing I know is how to trace back where each colord wire
stands for, I don't have any clue where the pins on the board stands
for.

Compaq don't give that info and the original board manifacture Mitac
does'nt store any compaq info.

Can you give me some tips?

Grtzzz mr.sandman

If it's the same board as my 5000A (5BWM21N, which is a Mitac
6513WU), here's the pinout for J10:

J10

Pins
3-4 Suspend LED
5-6 HDD LED
11-13 Power LED
15-16 Power button

RickW

Old July 25th 03, 10:59 PM
[NL]Sandman

Rick wrote:

If it's the same board as my 5000A (5BWM21N, which is a Mitac
6513WU), here's the pinout for J10:

J10

Pins
3-4 Suspend LED
5-6 HDD LED
11-13 Power LED
15-16 Power button

RickW

I think it's the same board, my connector is also called j10

Thank you very much!!!

Old July 26th 03, 09:39 PM
Rick

"[NL]Sandman" wrote in message ...
Rick wrote:

If it's the same board as my 5000A (5BWM21N, which is a Mitac
6513WU), here's the pinout for J10:

J10

Pins
3-4 Suspend LED
5-6 HDD LED
11-13 Power LED
15-16 Power button

RickW

I think it's the same board, my connector is also called j10

Thank you very much!!!

Sandman, I just checked the 6513WU manual against my 5000A
board and the above chart isn't valid. If the above configuration
doesn't work, here's what it is on mine:

Suspend LED - None
HDD LED - Pin 5 (White) Pin 6 (Red)
Power LED - Pin 3 (Black) Pin 4 (Yellow) Pin 12 (Green)
Power button - Pin 15 (Orange) Pin 16 (Blue)

J10 is a 20-pin connector, pin 1 is on the top right corner as
viewed from the front of the computer.

RickW

Old July 27th 03, 02:45 PM
Dan Marchant

replies various snipped

Thanks for the response HH (and others who responded). Given that I
would most likely slice off a finder I will keep the compaq as a server
with an old drive and just buy a new case.

Dan

Old July 27th 03, 03:55 PM
HH

Dan,
A wise decision. Good luck.

Compaq Mobo Problem. Phoenix General 6 January 7th 05 09:27 AM
Case fans question... Travis King Asus Motherboards 8 June 27th 04 06:52 PM
Compaq EP/SB Convertible Computer Case Patrick Dunford General 1 May 6th 04 11:27 AM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking AMD Processors 326 November 27th 03 08:54 PM
Can a Mini-ITX mobo fit an ATX case? kony General 2 July 14th 03 06:49 PM