windows XP does not recognise floppy drive

Old November 1st 03, 11:50 PM
TCMa

Default windows XP does not recognise floppy drive

I installed windows XP SP1 successfully to my computer.
Then I add a working (good) floppy drive and connect the floppy drive
cable to the the A7N8X-Deluxe motherboard.
After rebooting, windows XP does not recognize the new floppy drive.
i.e. Windows Explorer does not display it.
Please help.
Thanks.
Old November 1st 03, 11:57 PM
Egil Solberg

"TCMa" wrote in message
om...
I installed windows XP SP1 successfully to my computer.
Then I add a working (good) floppy drive and connect the floppy drive
cable to the the A7N8X-Deluxe motherboard.
After rebooting, windows XP does not recognize the new floppy drive.
i.e. Windows Explorer does not display it.
Please help.
Thanks.

Have you tried booting off the floppy? Just to check whether it's a
hardware/BIOS -problem or a WinXP-problem.

Old November 2nd 03, 12:12 AM
sdlomi

"TCMa" wrote in message
om...
I installed windows XP SP1 successfully to my computer.
Then I add a working (good) floppy drive and connect the floppy drive
cable to the the A7N8X-Deluxe motherboard.
After rebooting, windows XP does not recognize the new floppy drive.
i.e. Windows Explorer does not display it.
Please help.
Thanks.

Tried reversing cable connectors? HTH & good luck, sdlomi

Old November 2nd 03, 12:22 AM
Sarah

"TCMa" wrote in message
om...
I installed windows XP SP1 successfully to my computer.
Then I add a working (good) floppy drive and connect the floppy drive
cable to the the A7N8X-Deluxe motherboard.
After rebooting, windows XP does not recognize the new floppy drive.
i.e. Windows Explorer does not display it.
Please help.
Thanks.

is it enabled in the bios, since you added it afterwards ?

Old November 2nd 03, 01:01 AM
AxeClinton

Turn the cable around. Sometimes peple orient the cable to match a tab cutout
and this can end you up reveresed. If the cable is plugged in backwards no
damage will result but the drive will not be seen at posting.

--Nat
Old November 2nd 03, 01:56 AM
Bugman

"AxeClinton" wrote in message =
Turn the cable around. Sometimes peple orient the cable to match a tab =

cutout
and this can end you up reveresed. If the cable is plugged in =

backwards no
damage will result but the drive will not be seen at posting.
=20
--Nat

Most of the time the light on the floppy drive will stay on if it is =
plugged in backwards
Old November 2nd 03, 09:39 AM
Walter Grater

I have the same problem, but with Windows 2000 on the same motherboard.
After installing an upgrade/servicepack, the floppy drive can't read/write
anymore,
just grinds away. Re-installing the floppy disk drivers from Microsoft's
website
didn't help. Windows 2000 servicepack 4 also seems to corrupt the ATI
All In Wonder TV installation. TV can't scan anymore, re-installing the ATI
drivers didn't solve the problem. Anyone else experienced similar problems?
Walter.

"TCMa" wrote in message
om...
I installed windows XP SP1 successfully to my computer.
Then I add a working (good) floppy drive and connect the floppy drive
cable to the the A7N8X-Deluxe motherboard.
After rebooting, windows XP does not recognize the new floppy drive.
i.e. Windows Explorer does not display it.
Please help.
Thanks.

---

Old November 3rd 03, 09:35 AM
Jens Baumann

TCMa wrote:

I installed windows XP SP1 successfully to my computer.
Then I add a working (good) floppy drive and connect the floppy drive
cable to the the A7N8X-Deluxe motherboard.
After rebooting, windows XP does not recognize the new floppy drive.
i.e. Windows Explorer does not display it.
Please help.
Thanks.

a.) make sure that the floppy drive is enabled in the bios and that you
have selected the correct drive type (e.g. 3.5"/1.44MB) there.

b.) make sure that the cable is plugged in the correct way. If you turn
on the computer and the drive light stays on permanently, that is a sure
sign that the cable is plugged in the wrong way. Also, re-check the
power cable for the drive (e.g. that you have not missed a pin when
plugging it in).

Apart from that, there is not much you can do wrong when adding a floppy
drive.

Old November 3rd 03, 10:04 AM
E.P. van Westendorp

But Windows XP can apparently do a lot wrong with a healthy floppy drive.
There are many many unexplained floppy failures in Windows XP.
Some people replaced Windows XP's floppy driver and reported success
after doing that.
I'm sure that you will find many stories doing a Google search.

--

Eric P. van Westendorp Tel: +31(0252)210579
Reigerslaan 22 2215NN Voorhout Netherlands

Old November 4th 03, 02:50 PM
Killer Miller

Try looking on this site http://www.theeldergeek.com/index.htm
They have lots of stuff on XP
WINDOWS and most hardware manufactures are looking to do away with floppy
drives anyway.
This is stupid, since floppy's are cheap enough to give to someone. USB
drives are not.

"Egil Solberg" wrote in message

om...