Graphics card question

Old August 25th 04, 06:21 PM
ewgf

Default Graphics card question

Today I upgraded a mate's graphics card for him, and he gave me his old one,
a Radeon 9200SE (according to My Computer). Is this a good card? Anyway,
I've swapped it for my Ge-Force 4 MX, but I have a slight problem; whenever
I reset (or boot up) the PC, the monitor (ordinary 17" CRT model) switches
itself off, as though to protect itself from an invalid setting or whatever,
and I have to manually swith the monitor off and on to get a picture.

How can I cure this? By the way, I've installed the latest ATI driver from
PC Zone's June DVD ROM (the latest issues I have). And which card is better,
the Radeon 9200SE or the Ge-Force 4 MX?

Thanks for any answers.

Old August 25th 04, 06:30 PM
JAD

first that is a 'pretty' good card, When installing graphic cards you
have to rid all drivers and software from the prior card. If you don't
your going to have major problems.

Old August 25th 04, 08:41 PM
JAD

did you use the 'driver' uninstaller that is on the nvidia site?
did you go into safe mode and check to make sure there are no entries
in the display adapters category?
did you then revert back to 'standard VGA adapter" for the primary
display adapter before installing the ATI?

Old August 25th 04, 09:49 PM
Dave C.

"ewgf" wrote in message
Today I upgraded a mate's graphics card for him, and he gave me his old

one,
a Radeon 9200SE (according to My Computer). Is this a good card? Anyway,
I've swapped it for my Ge-Force 4 MX, but I have a slight problem;

whenever
I reset (or boot up) the PC, the monitor (ordinary 17" CRT model) switches
itself off, as though to protect itself from an invalid setting or

whatever,
and I have to manually swith the monitor off and on to get a picture.

Check your refresh rate, and turn it down to 75 or lower. Most new graphic
cards will temporarily force you back to a standard monitor with a low
resolution and refresh rate. It's possible the opposite has happened here.
Make sure your monitor is properly recognized by specific model number in
windows. -Dave

Old August 26th 04, 12:21 AM
Shep©

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:21:56 +0100 To confuse Arrogance with
Confidence is as stupid as to confuse Ambition with Ability and then
"ewgf" wrote :

Today I upgraded a mate's graphics card for him, and he gave me his old one,
a Radeon 9200SE (according to My Computer). Is this a good card? Anyway,
I've swapped it for my Ge-Force 4 MX, but I have a slight problem; whenever
I reset (or boot up) the PC, the monitor (ordinary 17" CRT model) switches
itself off, as though to protect itself from an invalid setting or whatever,
and I have to manually swith the monitor off and on to get a picture.

How can I cure this? By the way, I've installed the latest ATI driver from
PC Zone's June DVD ROM (the latest issues I have). And which card is better,
the Radeon 9200SE or the Ge-Force 4 MX?

Thanks for any answers.

They are a good card but ATI suck on drivers.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old August 26th 04, 04:19 AM
Mac Cool

"ewgf" said:

which card is better,
the Radeon 9200SE or the Ge-Force 4 MX?

The 9200SE by a nose hair.
--
Mac Cool
Old August 28th 04, 11:59 AM
ewgf

did you use the 'driver' uninstaller that is on the nvidia site?

No, where can I download this from?

did you go into safe mode and check to make sure there are no entries
in the display adapters category?

Again, no.

did you then revert back to 'standard VGA adapter" for the primary
display adapter before installing the ATI?

It did this automatically, I think, I could be wrong...

Old August 28th 04, 12:01 PM
ewgf

"Mac Cool" wrote in message
"ewgf" said:

which card is better,
the Radeon 9200SE or the Ge-Force 4 MX?

The 9200SE by a nose hair.
--
Mac Cool

I benchmarked them with two programs (31 Mark 2001 and GL Excess) and the
ATI came out around
15% to 25% faster each time. As you imply, it's almost nothing in real
terms, considering the ATI is
newer and has twice the RAM.

Old August 28th 04, 04:44 PM
Mac Cool

"ewgf" said:

I benchmarked them with two programs (31 Mark 2001 and GL Excess) and
the ATI came out around 15% to 25% faster each time.

Very good, looks like I underestimated the 9200se.
--
Mac Cool

Video / graphics card cooling fan CurranShelter General 10 October 11th 04 02:13 PM
Decent, low power, silent PCI graphics card? cjm General 7 August 26th 04 10:43 PM
Help me ID this ATI graphics card kony Homebuilt PC's 10 April 26th 04 03:10 PM
Graphics card problem LanNam General 1 December 6th 03 02:48 AM
Recommend graphics card for this system? jeffc Homebuilt PC's 3 October 29th 03 12:59 AM