Power Supplies - Can anyone offer a quality opinion on Ultra Power Supplies please? - TIA

Old January 30th 04, 11:19 AM
Pete

Default Power Supplies - Can anyone offer a quality opinion on Ultra Power Supplies please? - TIA

Can anyone offer a quality opinion on Ultra Power Supplies please?

About the only supplier that I can find it Tiger Direct and they have a
half price offer at the moment for a 500watt unit for forty bucks
instead of $80.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...tails.asp?EdpN
o=599600&Sku=U10-9500%20TL&CatId=1079

It seems as if it may be too good to be true but I can't find any reviews.

Can anyone out there please help with some information or links to reviews?

Thanks

Pete

Old January 30th 04, 07:25 PM
Pete

Pete wrote in
s.com:

Can anyone offer a quality opinion on Ultra Power Supplies please?

About the only supplier that I can find it Tiger Direct and they have
a half price offer at the moment for a 500watt unit for forty bucks
instead of $80.

Well Thank You guys for the heads up on Tiger. That should save me some
cash but it does still leave me with one small point of interest - are the
Ultra Power Supplies good, bad or indifferent?

If there is not answer to that question, what about the quality of Antec's
units?

Thanks again

Pete
Old January 30th 04, 11:37 PM
Chris Phillipo

In article , rabramson1
@si.rr.com says...
never heard of that, but tiger direct has a weak reputation
"Pete" wrote in message
s.com...
Can anyone offer a quality opinion on Ultra Power Supplies please?

About the only supplier that I can find it Tiger Direct and they have a
half price offer at the moment for a 500watt unit for forty bucks
instead of $80.

I have a Kingwin from Tiger Direct, After having an Enermax die within
5 minutes of power up this Kingwin is much better built and features a
pair of variable speed fans with thermal sensor on board which the
enermax did not.
--
____________________
Remove "X" from email address to reply.
Old January 31st 04, 06:24 AM
S.Heenan

Pete wrote:
Pete wrote in
s.com:

Can anyone offer a quality opinion on Ultra Power Supplies please?

About the only supplier that I can find it Tiger Direct and they have
a half price offer at the moment for a 500watt unit for forty bucks
instead of $80.

Well Thank You guys for the heads up on Tiger. That should save me
some cash but it does still leave me with one small point of interest
- are the Ultra Power Supplies good, bad or indifferent?

If there is not answer to that question, what about the quality of
Antec's units?

It is not possible to buy a good quality 500W power supply for $40USD. An
Antec True550 is around $95USD and a very good PSU. Sparkle/Fortron Source
or Enermax are other good brands to look at.

Old February 1st 04, 04:26 PM
Mavra Chang

Antec's True Power units are good. Antec is a reliable name and have been
for ages.Solid and reasonable.

mc

"Pete" wrote in message
s.com...
Pete wrote in
s.com:

Old February 2nd 04, 09:22 AM
Winnie Da Pooh

I have one word for you. Enermax.

"Mavra Chang" wrote in message
Antec's True Power units are good. Antec is a reliable name and have been
for ages.Solid and reasonable.

mc

"Pete" wrote in message
s.com...