Compaq 5000 series 5WV271 specs question

Old February 6th 04, 02:36 AM
Woodbutcher

Default Compaq 5000 series 5WV271 specs question

Where can I find out how much memory this with take?
This box has ME can I upgrade to XP?
The cpu is a Athlon 900mhz

Any help would be appreciated
Jim
Old February 6th 04, 10:48 AM
HH

You can put up to a 256MB DIMM in each of the 3 DIMM slots for a max of
768MB. It came with a 64MB DIMM in slot one. Compaq has no drivers for XP
for your model on their website. XP may have them already except for the
modem, which it likely does not have. You could always pull the Compaq modem
and install a 3rd party one that comes with XP drivers.

HH

Old February 6th 04, 11:33 AM
DARTORREY

In article , Woodbutcher
writes:

Where can I find out how much memory this with take?
This box has ME can I upgrade to XP?
The cpu is a Athlon 900mhz

Any help would be appreciated
Jim

According to www.crucial.com your system will take 768MB of ram.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...=Compaq%2BPres
ario.&mfr=Compaq&cat=RAM&model=Presario+5000+Serie s+Model+5WV271.&submit=Go

I have the same system with 640MB (2 x 256MB and 1 x 128MB) but I'm running Win
ME on it.

Your box should run fine with Win XP, but I would max out the ram at 768MB to
run it. XP uses a lot of ram.

My XP home built box has 1.25GB of ram.

Darrin

Old February 6th 04, 04:37 PM
Woodbutcher

On 06 Feb 2004 11:33:04 GMT, (DARTORREY) wrote:

In article , Woodbutcher
writes:

Where can I find out how much memory this with take?
This box has ME can I upgrade to XP?
The cpu is a Athlon 900mhz

Any help would be appreciated
Jim

According to
www.crucial.com your system will take 768MB of ram.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...=Compaq%2BPres
ario.&mfr=Compaq&cat=RAM&model=Presario+5000+Seri es+Model+5WV271.&submit=Go

I have the same system with 640MB (2 x 256MB and 1 x 128MB) but I'm running Win
ME on it.

Your box should run fine with Win XP, but I would max out the ram at 768MB to
run it. XP uses a lot of ram.

My XP home built box has 1.25GB of ram.

Darrin

Thanks for the response and the link.
Jim

Old February 6th 04, 08:16 PM
HH

I've had excellent results with an Intel (Ambient) chipset PCI modem. It's
available for $10.95 at http://www.axiontech.com
[...]

problem with compaq 5000 rxkiller(antispam) Compaq Computers 12 January 26th 04 03:34 AM
Compaq Presario 5000 Sean Maloney Compaq Computers 0 November 8th 03 03:27 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 November 7th 03 02:30 PM
Compaq Proffesional Workstation 5000 KSFJ Compaq Computers 0 October 21st 03 08:26 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 19th 03 10:17 PM