Compaq 2200 desktop Restore disk ?

Old September 17th 03, 11:17 PM
\(\)

Default Compaq 2200 desktop Restore disk ?

I have an old compaq 22oo desktop ,
I took out the old win 95 OS and put in windows 98
only to realize later that it was only a 486..
So the MODEM and the built in sound card .WOnt recognize the DRIVERS..
I finally realized that you must have the RESTORE DISK.
THIS I don't have .... JUSt a hand me down computer ..
BUT IT seems to run very well with win98SE just can't go online or hear
sound....so let me know wher to find
the restore disk please anybody , thanks..

Old September 18th 03, 11:20 PM
DEJ57

BUT IT seems to run very well with win98SE just can't go online or hear
sound....so let me know wher to find
the restore disk please anybody , thanks..

Restore disk will likely not be available from Compaq, as they claim MS will
not let them supply any for WIN95-98 PCs. There is a modem driver on Compaq's
web site that would appear to be appropriate:

http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_res...odel=2244&Os=3

The audio appears to be only for 95, but try it, it might work. If not, you'll
have to search the web or manufacturers site and see if a WIN98 driver exists
for your particular verson of the Cyrix Express Audio chip (ID it in Device
Manager). So it still may be possible to get 98 working...if not, load 95 and
use the Compaq provided drivers...that's my guess...good luck...Dale
Old September 19th 03, 03:06 AM
Bob

"DEJ57" wrote in message
BUT IT seems to run very well with win98SE just can't go online or hear
sound....so let me know wher to find
the restore disk please anybody , thanks..

Restore disk will likely not be available from Compaq, as they claim MS

will
not let them supply any for WIN95-98 PCs. There is a modem driver on

Compaq's
web site that would appear to be appropriate:

http://www29.compaq.com/falco/sp_res...odel=2244&Os=3

Is this something that has changed in the past 3 years or so? My 4862 came
with Windows 95 and has a restore disk.

Old September 19th 03, 04:21 AM
DEJ57

Is this something that has changed in the past 3 years or so? My 4862 came
with Windows 95 and has a restore disk.

Yeah, within the past year, I think it has been, Compaq started refusing to
provide or sell any QRs that come with 95 or 98....it may have to do with MS
not wanting anymore licenses "issued"--but whatever it is, Compaq won't provide
you a QR for your 4862 now, I don't believe. Give it a try and let me know if
I'm wrong....

We discussed this a number of times in the NG....

Dale

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycleconsumer.mspx

RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM
backup software - restore disk chris General 5 May 20th 04 03:39 AM
can i connect a desktop hard disk to a laptop? kony General 3 December 5th 03 04:51 PM
My machine has been ATI born again!! Dunny Rummy Ati Videocards 21 November 28th 03 04:13 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 August 24th 03 08:10 PM