How old is too old...ink cartridges

Old October 20th 04, 07:06 PM
Monica

Default How old is too old...ink cartridges

I have two UNOPENED/SEALED black ink cartridges that were for my HP 890
inkjet. One box says to use before Jan 2001. I can't read the other. I'd
like to give these to a long distance friend but dont' know if they're any
good. Do you think they're fine or should I just throw them in the trash?
Thanks,
Monica

Old October 20th 04, 07:27 PM
Dan G

They should be OK, if they have problems you can often clear them with some
hot water and ammonia to the print head.

Old October 20th 04, 10:40 PM
Brian P.

I believe that the solvent in the cartridge can evaporate over time. If your
cartridges are that old, they may not be worth much now.

--
Brian
respond to

Old October 21st 04, 02:02 AM
Dan Wenz

Brian P. wrote:

I believe that the solvent in the cartridge can evaporate over time. If your
cartridges are that old, they may not be worth much now.

Would refrigeration be a good idea for cartriges until ready for use?
Old October 21st 04, 03:36 AM
Bob Headrick

"Monica" wrote in message
I have two UNOPENED/SEALED black ink cartridges that were for my HP 890
inkjet. One box says to use before Jan 2001. I can't read the other. I'd
like to give these to a long distance friend but dont' know if they're any
good. Do you think they're fine or should I just throw them in the trash?

They are worth a try, I would not throw them away. It may take a cleaning
cycle or two to get them going, and it is possible that they will have
electrical issues but they very well may just work fine. The color cartridges
are a bit more finicky, a color cartridge nearly four years past the expiration
would not likely still be OK.

Regards,
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old October 21st 04, 03:43 AM
Bob Headrick

"Dan Wenz" wrote in message

Would refrigeration be a good idea for cartriges until ready for use?

Maybe, but.... Depending on the cartridge and the printer it goes into your
results may vary. For example, most HP print cartridges have some form of
built-in thermometer. This is used to keep the printhead at the proper
temperature during printing. A new cartridge installed may (depending on the
printer) be assumed to be at room temperature. If a very cold cartridge is
installed in the printer there may be issues due to the thermal calibration.
There may also be errors if the printhead cannot get to the proper temperature
within the allotted time.

Removing the printer from the fridge a day before you install it would allow
the cartridge to come up to proper temperature. Storing the cartridges in a
cool environment would tend to prolong their life.

Regards,

Old October 23rd 04, 02:15 AM
Arthur Entlich

If these are black pigmented inks (very possibly) I would shake the
cartridge up thoroughly and then leave it a day or two before trying to
use it.

If these cartridges are the type that have the head incorporated in the
cartridge, there is likely no risk to trying them. They shouldn't
damage anything. If the cartridges doesn't work well, you can try
wiping the head gently with a rag with warm water or a slight bit of
ammoniated window cleaner and see if that helps to clear the head.

If it still doesn't work well, you can possible have the cartridge
emptied and refilled by a refiller (ask them) if you use refilled
cartridges.

Since the head and ink cartridge on those type are self contained, the
cartridge is easy to remove and replace should it not work properly.

The only risk I can think of is if the cartridge were to somehow start
leaking, but I can't think of how that would happen.

Art

Monica wrote:

I have two UNOPENED/SEALED black ink cartridges that were for my HP 890
inkjet. One box says to use before Jan 2001. I can't read the other. I'd
like to give these to a long distance friend but dont' know if they're any
good. Do you think they're fine or should I just throw them in the trash?
Thanks,
Monica

Epson C80 OEM Cartridges' Ink Volume Jeffrey L. Hook Printers 0 June 12th 04 03:09 AM
HP #10 ink cartridges expiration date unknown??? mark_digital Printers 3 April 11th 04 02:35 AM
Printer cartridges - licensing restrictions Steve Printers 12 October 11th 03 07:06 PM
Printer cartridges? Joey Printers 1 September 6th 03 01:07 PM
FA: Epson S020191 & S020187 Ink Cartridges Alison K. Printers 0 July 23rd 03 05:31 PM