Best backup solution for Win98 Workstation

Old May 9th 04, 09:15 PM
Me

Default Best backup solution for Win98 Workstation

Hi all,

I have a customer who needs a backup solution ( most likely tape ) for a
Windows 98 Workstation..

The budget is fair and I would like to put something in that would have
some form of disaster recovery so that if the drive fails I can replace
it and restore the entire system to the last full backup in one operation..

The drive is only 15GB and the data is only about 5GB so a small tape
drive would do fine, the real question is if the bundled software will
have the features that will allow it to restore a full system quickly??

Obvoiusly this is a "Nice to have" feature so if there is nothing that
will do it what is the best recommended backup solution for a Win98
workstation??

Later..
Old May 11th 04, 10:56 AM
Marcin Dobrucki

Me wrote:

The drive is only 15GB and the data is only about 5GB so a small tape
drive would do fine, the real question is if the bundled software will
have the features that will allow it to restore a full system quickly??

Obvoiusly this is a "Nice to have" feature so if there is nothing that
will do it what is the best recommended backup solution for a Win98
workstation??

Perhaps a DVD burner will suffice? Data can be restored using any
20-30Eur DVD drive.

/Marcin
Old May 11th 04, 10:59 AM
Me

Marcin Dobrucki wrote:
Me wrote:

The drive is only 15GB and the data is only about 5GB so a small tape
drive would do fine, the real question is if the bundled software will
have the features that will allow it to restore a full system quickly??

Obvoiusly this is a "Nice to have" feature so if there is nothing that
will do it what is the best recommended backup solution for a Win98
workstation??

Perhaps a DVD burner will suffice? Data can be restored using any
20-30Eur DVD drive.

/Marcin

It would still be down to the software to be able to backup and restore
the registry and other system files..Thats why I am looking for a
tapedrive+software that will have the best features for a full system
restore..

Later..
Old May 11th 04, 04:37 PM
Marcin Dobrucki

Me wrote:

Perhaps a DVD burner will suffice? Data can be restored using any
20-30Eur DVD drive.

/Marcin

It would still be down to the software to be able to backup and restore
the registry and other system files..Thats why I am looking for a
tapedrive+software that will have the best features for a full system
restore..

I was under the impression that software nowadays lets you back up to
disk. Which ofcourse means you can then burn the stuff onto DVDs quite
easily.

It has been a long while since I have touched Windows, but doesn't it
come with some built-in backup program? Maybe that'll be enough for a
stand-alone workstation?

/Marcin
Old May 15th 04, 06:26 AM
Ron Reaugh

"Me" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a customer who needs a backup solution ( most likely tape ) for a
Windows 98 Workstation..

The budget is fair and I would like to put something in that would have
some form of disaster recovery so that if the drive fails I can replace
it and restore the entire system to the last full backup in one

operation..

The drive is only 15GB and the data is only about 5GB so a small tape
drive would do fine, the real question is if the bundled software will
have the features that will allow it to restore a full system quickly??

Obvoiusly this is a "Nice to have" feature so if there is nothing that
will do it what is the best recommended backup solution for a Win98
workstation??

USB2 external ATA HD and Symantec Ghost is the most reliable, fastest,
easiest to use and least expensive. Next is DVD+R[W]. Tapes are a
nightmare.

Old May 15th 04, 06:26 AM
Ron Reaugh

"Me" wrote in message
Marcin Dobrucki wrote:
Me wrote:

The drive is only 15GB and the data is only about 5GB so a small tape
drive would do fine, the real question is if the bundled software will
have the features that will allow it to restore a full system quickly??

Obvoiusly this is a "Nice to have" feature so if there is nothing that
will do it what is the best recommended backup solution for a Win98
workstation??

Perhaps a DVD burner will suffice? Data can be restored using any
20-30Eur DVD drive.

/Marcin

It would still be down to the software to be able to backup and restore
the registry and other system files..Thats why I am looking for a
tapedrive+software that will have the best features for a full system
restore..

That's Symantec Ghost which images the entire HD and restores it to the
exact state. Also individual files maybe be restored.

Old May 15th 04, 06:27 AM
Ron Reaugh

"Marcin Dobrucki" wrote in message
Me wrote:

Perhaps a DVD burner will suffice? Data can be restored using any
20-30Eur DVD drive.

/Marcin

It would still be down to the software to be able to backup and restore
the registry and other system files..Thats why I am looking for a
tapedrive+software that will have the best features for a full system
restore..

I was under the impression that software nowadays lets you back up to
disk. Which ofcourse means you can then burn the stuff onto DVDs quite
easily.

It has been a long while since I have touched Windows, but doesn't it
come with some built-in backup program? Maybe that'll be enough for a
stand-alone workstation?

Such will NOT restore a bootable system partition.