How to tell if HP cartridges are low on ink?

Old February 14th 06, 01:10 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default How to tell if HP cartridges are low on ink?

I have an HP 5740 that I've been using since September. I print quite a
lot of pages, since much of my school work is online and I have to
print readings. I print all readings in just black ink, and I've gone
through one 94 and one 96 in the last few months.

Just this past week I had my old 94 refilled in the interest of saving
money and I put in into the printer yesterday. Since then, I've printed
one page of printer alignment and 12 pages front and back of readings.
Just now I got a message telling me that my black cartridge is low on
ink. Imagine my surprise.

So, is this for real? Did I get jipped at the refill store? Is there
some way I can tell by looking at it? I don't have easy access to the
store, so I don't want to go back just to find out that my computer is
incorrectly registering the ink levels. Thanks!

Old February 14th 06, 06:08 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

brebers wrote:
I have an HP 5740 that I've been using since September. I print quite a
lot of pages, since much of my school work is online and I have to
print readings. I print all readings in just black ink, and I've gone
through one 94 and one 96 in the last few months.

Just this past week I had my old 94 refilled in the interest of saving
money and I put in into the printer yesterday. Since then, I've printed
one page of printer alignment and 12 pages front and back of readings.
Just now I got a message telling me that my black cartridge is low on
ink. Imagine my surprise.

So, is this for real? Did I get jipped at the refill store? Is there
some way I can tell by looking at it? I don't have easy access to the
store, so I don't want to go back just to find out that my computer is
incorrectly registering the ink levels. Thanks!

I don't know that particular HP, but if it is like
older HP's then the problem is retention of ink
usage data. You probably took the old 94 out when
it said it was low or just before it said it was
low, then you put the 96, then you put the
refilled 94 in the printer. The problem is that
the printer still recognizes the 94 from the first
time it was in and just keeps calculating ink
usage which is now low even tho the cartridge was
refilled.

The cartridge is probably ok and you probably
didn't get gypped. You need a third cartridge in
succession to get rid of the data on the 94. That
means you need to buy or borrow another black
cartridge and install them in the following
sequence (1) 94 (already installed), (2) 96, (3)
new cartridge, (4) 94. Or, you can try the
following, which may or may not work: with the 94
installed (which it is now) turn on the printer,
open the printer so that the cartridges are ready
to be taken out, pull the plug from the wall
socket and let the printer rest for 5 minutes or
so, and plug the printer back in and close up the
printer. If this works in your printer, the
printer will now think that the cartridges are
new. Caution, the data on the color cartridge
will also be lost so the ink count will be off.
Old February 14th 06, 11:00 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

brebers wrote:
I have an HP 5740 that I've been using since September. I print quite a
lot of pages, since much of my school work is online and I have to
print readings. I print all readings in just black ink, and I've gone
through one 94 and one 96 in the last few months.

Just this past week I had my old 94 refilled in the interest of saving
money and I put in into the printer yesterday. Since then, I've printed
one page of printer alignment and 12 pages front and back of readings.
Just now I got a message telling me that my black cartridge is low on
ink. Imagine my surprise.

So, is this for real? Did I get jipped at the refill store? Is there
some way I can tell by looking at it? I don't have easy access to the
store, so I don't want to go back just to find out that my computer is
incorrectly registering the ink levels. Thanks!

Like George says, you didn't get jipped but you need to reset the
counter. The guy who refilled it should have told you. You really don't
need to do anything and it will still function. If you want to reset it
to avoid the nags then try the tape method.
http://www.inksunlimited.com/hp6657A.html
Old February 14th 06, 11:01 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article .com,
says...
I have an HP 5740 that I've been using since September. I print quite a
lot of pages, since much of my school work is online and I have to
print readings. I print all readings in just black ink, and I've gone
through one 94 and one 96 in the last few months.

Just this past week I had my old 94 refilled in the interest of saving
money and I put in into the printer yesterday. Since then, I've printed
one page of printer alignment and 12 pages front and back of readings.
Just now I got a message telling me that my black cartridge is low on
ink. Imagine my surprise.

So, is this for real? Did I get jipped at the refill store? Is there
some way I can tell by looking at it? I don't have easy access to the
store, so I don't want to go back just to find out that my computer is
incorrectly registering the ink levels. Thanks!

The printer doesn't actually measure the ink level. Each cartridge has
a unique ID. The printer remembers the type of cartridge, and usually
the current and previously used ID's. It estimates ink usage and
subtracts that from how much the cartridge is supposed to hold.

If you simply refill a cartridge and reuse it, the printer doesn't
know it's been refilled, so it's still calculating based on what it
knows about that cartridge ID.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Old February 14th 06, 11:31 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Andrew Rossmann wrote:

[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article .com,
says...

I have an HP 5740 that I've been using since September. I print quite a
lot of pages, since much of my school work is online and I have to
print readings. I print all readings in just black ink, and I've gone
through one 94 and one 96 in the last few months.

THE PRINTER IS GIVING YOU WHAT YOU DESERVE. GO BUY A GENUINE HP CART
AND BE DONE WITH IT.

Just this past week I had my old 94 refilled in the interest of saving
money and I put in into the printer yesterday. Since then, I've printed
one page of printer alignment and 12 pages front and back of readings.
Just now I got a message telling me that my black cartridge is low on
ink. Imagine my surprise.

So, is this for real? Did I get jipped at the refill store?

ABSOLUTELY

Is there
some way I can tell by looking at it? I don't have easy access to the
store, so I don't want to go back just to find out that my computer is
incorrectly registering the ink levels. Thanks!

ANOTHER AFTERMARKET INK SCAM BYTES THE DUST

Old February 14th 06, 11:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

tomcas wrote:

brebers wrote:

I have an HP 5740 that I've been using since September. I print quite a
lot of pages, since much of my school work is online and I have to
print readings. I print all readings in just black ink, and I've gone
through one 94 and one 96 in the last few months.

Just this past week I had my old 94 refilled in the interest of saving
money and I put in into the printer yesterday. Since then, I've printed
one page of printer alignment and 12 pages front and back of readings.
Just now I got a message telling me that my black cartridge is low on
ink. Imagine my surprise.

So, is this for real? Did I get jipped at the refill store? Is there
some way I can tell by looking at it? I don't have easy access to the
store, so I don't want to go back just to find out that my computer is
incorrectly registering the ink levels. Thanks!

Like George says, you didn't

YOU ABSOLUTELY GOT SCREWED. YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW WHAT BRAND OF INK IS
IN THE CART.

get jipped but you need to reset the counter. The guy who refilled it
should have told you. You really don't need to do anything and it will
still function. If you want to reset it to avoid the nags then try the
tape method.

IF YOU WANT EVERYTHING TO WORK RIGHT GET A GENUINE HP CART. I KNOW THEY
ARE OVERPRICED.

http://www.inksunlimited.com/hp6657A.html

Old February 15th 06, 12:13 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Well thanks a lot to those of you who explained the situation. I called
the company and they said next time they will just trade it out with
someone else's to avoid the whole situation so I'm not worried.

To those of you who were completely and totally unhelpful, that was
uncalled for. FYI, I'm a college student and therefore don't have a lot
of money. It doesn't matter what kind of ink is in my printer, all I
print is articles and paper for school! Next time, don't reply.

Old February 15th 06, 12:35 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

measekite wrote:
YOU DO NOT EVEN KNOW WHAT BRAND OF INK IS
IN THE CART.

Who cares, at least he knows where the cap lock key is.

IF YOU WANT EVERYTHING TO WORK RIGHT GET A GENUINE HP CART. I KNOW THEY
ARE OVERPRICED.

Wrong, oh so wrong. I, like thousands of others, refill my HPs with MIS
inks, and get several refills for each cartridge, never with a problem.

Old February 15th 06, 12:38 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

measekite wrote:

THE PRINTER IS GIVING YOU WHAT YOU DESERVE.

If you got what you deserve for ranting in this newsgroup you would be
walking around with a printer cable dragging behind you.
Old February 15th 06, 03:01 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

tomcas wrote:
measekite wrote:

THE PRINTER IS GIVING YOU WHAT YOU DESERVE.

If you got what you deserve for ranting in this newsgroup you would be
walking around with a printer cable dragging behind you.

hehehehehehe...GOOD ONE!!!
The length of said cable not showing (the interesting part!) would only
be equal to the length of the part showing subtracted from the hole (pun
intended!) length of the cable.
IOW's, that ****wit moron idiot could only feed paper thru his lying
mouth to be printed!
You just gotta love it!