agp motherboard

Old July 5th 08, 11:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dilbert firestorm

Default agp motherboard

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message dilbert
firestorm wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "Lee M."
wrote:

I don't think you'll find an AM2 mobo with AGP. There are still a few AGP
socket 939 mobos on Ebay. That's probably as current as you can get. In
socket A, I would recommend any big name (Abit, ASUS, MSI, etc) with an
nForce2 chipset. I have two Epox 8RDA3+ mobos but Epox is out of business so
there won't be any support. You don't say what the usage is but obviously
there's more CPU power with the 939 chips.

I've got an AGP+939 board and CPU (or two) kicking around, I could
probably dig it up and ship it out if anyone were interested.

The 939 line was decent for it's time, but AMD CPUs just don't hold a
candle to the Intel Core 2 line.

are the amd 939's the current cpus? I'm aware of the Amd Althlon 64 X2
series. are they of the 939 versions?

Nope, 939 does have 64 X2 CPUs, but it's one generation behind now.

I see what you mean. I'm really behind the times. I did some digging
around and I'm like, "oy!", on what I found. I wasn't aware that AMD
had progressed that far on the CPU line. They're now up to Phenom X3 &
X4, and from the looks of it, are AM2 & AM2+ socket cpu.

I did notice that there are intel 775 mobos with agp.

I also noticed that there are I-775/A-939 combo mobos with AGP8X &
PCI-X. I assume that only one of the graphics sockets can be used, correct?

Asrock 775& AM2 mobos seem to be one avenue for me to check out.

AM2 mobos
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...l-eSATA2&s=AM2
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=AM2NF3-VSTA (this ones has
an interesting configuration, was surprised to see this one without PCI-X)

775 mobos
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...ual-VSTA&s=775
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...75V88%2b&s=775

--
Dilbert Firestorm

Opus is my Hero!
Old July 5th 08, 11:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
spodosaurus

dilbert firestorm wrote:
DevilsPGD wrote:
In message dilbert
firestorm wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "Lee M."
wrote:

[...]

PCI-X is not a graphics socket. PCIe x16 is a graphics socket. PCI-X is
a different socket to PCI and PCIe, often used for RAID and SCSI cards.

Asrock 775& AM2 mobos seem to be one avenue for me to check out.

AM2 mobos
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...l-eSATA2&s=AM2
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=AM2NF3-VSTA (this ones has
an interesting configuration, was surprised to see this one without PCI-X)

775 mobos
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...ual-VSTA&s=775
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...75V88%2b&s=775

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old July 5th 08, 12:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DevilsPGD[_2_]

In message
spodosaurus wrote:

PCI-X is not a graphics socket. PCIe x16 is a graphics socket. PCI-X is
a different socket to PCI and PCIe, often used for RAID and SCSI cards.

More confusingly named stuff that should have gotten an entire committee
shot for not picking better names.
Old July 5th 08, 06:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dilbert firestorm

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message
spodosaurus wrote:

PCI-X is not a graphics socket. PCIe x16 is a graphics socket. PCI-X is
a different socket to PCI and PCIe, often used for RAID and SCSI cards.

More confusingly named stuff that should have gotten an entire committee
shot for not picking better names.

not to mention that the manufacturers are also confusing the issue with
the number of slots counted as PCI, PCI-e, & PCI-x & AGP in their spec
sheet.

for example in their spec sheet one says:
1 pci-x slots
1 pci-e slots
3 pci slots

this make it sound like they have 5 slots, when their the picture of
their mobo clearly shows that they only have 3 slots. rather misleading
tho.

--
Dilbert Firestorm

Opus is my Hero!
Old July 5th 08, 06:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dilbert firestorm

spodosaurus wrote:
dilbert firestorm wrote:
DevilsPGD wrote:
In message dilbert
firestorm wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "Lee M."
wrote:

[...]

well, guess that tells you that I'm really behind the times. I assumed those conventions were different ways of saying PCI Express.

so, what is the ":X" called? PCI Extended?

--
Dilbert Firestorm

Opus is my Hero!
Old July 6th 08, 01:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Weiss

"dilbert firestorm" wrote...

so, what is the ":X" called? PCI Extended?

64-bit.

Old July 6th 08, 06:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dilbert firestorm

John Weiss wrote:
"dilbert firestorm" wrote...

so, what is the ":X" called? PCI Extended?

64-bit.

what a dinky code for 64-bit!! ;-)

--
Dilbert Firestorm

Opus is my Hero!
Old July 6th 08, 11:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DevilsPGD[_2_]

In message 48701771$1@kcnews03 "John Weiss"
wrote:

"dilbert firestorm" wrote...

so, what is the ":X" called? PCI Extended?

64-bit.

Yes genius, the x stands for "64-bit" *sigh*
Old July 6th 08, 11:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DevilsPGD[_2_]

In message dilbert
firestorm wrote:

so, what is the ":X" called? PCI Extended?

PCI-x is Peripheral Component Interconnect Extended.
PCI-e is "Express" instead of "Extended"

PCI-X and PCI-E are basically different approaches to the same problem,
PCI-X increasing parallelism, and PCI-E moving to a higher speed serial
interface (with bonding, to allow for wider data paths)
Old July 6th 08, 12:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message dilbert
firestorm wrote:

so, what is the ":X" called? PCI Extended?

PCI-x is Peripheral Component Interconnect Extended.
PCI-e is "Express" instead of "Extended"

PCI-X and PCI-E are basically different approaches to the same problem,
PCI-X increasing parallelism, and PCI-E moving to a higher speed serial
interface (with bonding, to allow for wider data paths)

There is another significant difference.

PCI Express is a hub based architecture, where each expansion slot
has a private connection to the main hub device. The benefit of that,
is the signals arrive in good shape, and there is no signal
interference, between two cards in different slots.

Main_chip
/ | | \
/ | | \
Slot #1 #2 #3 #4

PCI-X is parallel, but is a shared bus. As the speed goes up,
the number of slots on the bus segment goes down. And that is
because the signals are multidrop, and are connected to
multiple slots. The presence of one card, can interfere with
the performance of another.

Main_chip ----Slot#1---Slot#2---Slot#3

And while I haven't been too curious about it, there is a
PCI-X version 2, which apparently supports higher speeds.
It looks like it is point to point (i.e. a bus segment on which
there is only one expansion slot), and begins to look
more like a hub based architecture again. Since this
technology has never come up in a question before, the
implication is that it isn't a common thing.

Main_chip ----Slot#1

(PDF page 51 Figure 4-1 shows a point to point interconnect)
http://www.pcisig.com/specifications...report_1.1.pdf

PCI Express also supports multiple hubs, and that is how some
of the earlier SLI boards got their video slots. It took two
chips. There might also be a few PCI Express x1 interfaces on
one of these chips as well.

Processor
Northbridge -------------------- Video card #1

| PCI Express x16
Southbridge -------------------- Video card #2

(Example of more than one hub)

Paul

M2N DH motherboard nospam Asus Motherboards 9 September 25th 06 07:15 PM
motherboard help. Compaq Presario 5700T Motherboard marq122 via HWKB.com Homebuilt PC's 2 September 7th 06 10:05 PM
Which Motherboard? Hottkaran Intel 2 October 27th 04 02:23 PM
Use HDD from AMD Proc Motherboard in Intel Proc Motherboard Sekhar Asus Motherboards 1 August 15th 04 07:41 PM