New build - no display on monitor

Old February 9th 08, 04:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
BIGEYE

Default New build - no display on monitor

Got my pc built with the following components:

Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Go Stepping CPU
Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 Processor Cooler
2 x Kingston 2gb Kit (2x1gb) Ddr2 800mhz/pc2-6400 Hyperx Memory Non-ecc Cl4
(4 GB Total)
2 x Samsung SpinPoint HD501LJ 500GB SATAII Hard Drive 16MB Cache
Arctic Power 700W PSU - With PCI-E, SATA, 20+4, ATX12V, 8pin +12V Connectors
Antec Nine Hundred - Gaming Case
LG GSA-H66NBAL 18X SATA DVD±RW/DL/RAM
Samsung SM2032BW 20"TFT Monitor Widescreen
Inno3d 8800 GTS Overclocked Edition GFX card

Fired the unit up and all the fans running, no signal coming from the GFX
card (monitor dispalying check connector), tried on different monotor with
same result. I have the power connector (6-Pim) plugged in to the GFX card.

Anybody got any idea why I am not getting any display on the monitor?

TIA

Old February 9th 08, 04:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Craig Coope

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 16:15:25 -0000, "BIGEYE"
wrote:

[...]

Have you plugged both power connectors into your mobo?

--
The Zero ST
Old February 9th 08, 04:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Weiss

"BIGEYE" wrote...
Got my pc built with the following components:

Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Go Stepping CPU
Arctic Power 700W PSU - With PCI-E, SATA, 20+4, ATX12V, 8pin +12V
Connectors
Antec Nine Hundred - Gaming Case
Samsung SM2032BW 20"TFT Monitor Widescreen
Inno3d 8800 GTS Overclocked Edition GFX card

Fired the unit up and all the fans running, no signal coming from the GFX
card (monitor dispalying check connector), tried on different monotor
with same result. I have the power connector (6-Pim) plugged in to the
GFX card.

Anybody got any idea why I am not getting any display on the monitor?

Try a different cable.

Try a different card.

Either one may be bad...

Old February 9th 08, 05:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SteveH[_2_]

BIGEYE wrote:
[...]

I built one for someone with that mobo a short while ago, and initally had
exactly the same problem. For me the issue was with the memory. Both with 2
gig of PC6400 OCZ and 2 Gig of PC6400 Patriot extreme I got the same problem
you're seeing.

Only when I tried it with one stick of memory would it start working
correctly. And after a lot of fiddling with the memory voltages and timings
I evetually got it working properly (which it is still doing just fine) with
the full amount of memory required.

Now I could understand this if it just happened with one brand of memory,
but two? Unlikely I would have thought. However, it does just seem to be
issues with the default BIOS settings, which hopefully Gigabyte will fix in
a newer BIOS.

HTH
SteveH

Old February 9th 08, 06:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
BIGEYE

Problem solved. Didn't connect the 4 pin 12V ATX supply connector at the top
of the mobo, didn't think it was needed as there is 4 pin 12V ATX supply
connector connected adjacent the 20 pin mobo connector. So this board needs
both of these 4 Pin connecters to be connected.

Thanks.

"SteveH" wrote in message
. ..

Old February 9th 08, 09:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
kony

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 18:40:19 -0000, "BIGEYE"
wrote:

Problem solved. Didn't connect the 4 pin 12V ATX supply connector at the top
of the mobo, didn't think it was needed as there is 4 pin 12V ATX supply
connector connected adjacent the 20 pin mobo connector. So this board needs
both of these 4 Pin connecters to be connected.

It is good to hear you resolved the problem.

The 4 pin connector adjacent to the 20 other pins on the 24
pin connector are there to provide addt'l power but since
most systems don't use enough power to require them, they're
essentially redundant.

The other 4 pin connector you hadn't connected is the sole
power source for the processor.
Old February 9th 08, 09:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Craig Coope

wrote:

Problem solved. Didn't connect the 4 pin 12V ATX supply connector at the top
of the mobo, didn't think it was needed as there is 4 pin 12V ATX supply
connector connected adjacent the 20 pin mobo connector. So this board needs
both of these 4 Pin connecters to be connected.

Thanks.

You're welcome

--
The Zero ST
Old March 16th 08, 05:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
ProfGene

BIGEYE wrote:
[...]

Check all of the case wire connections to make sure there are no
mistakes. I have a Samsung monitor and sometimes the connector on the
monitor loosens and I get a blank screen. If I tighten the connection,
even though it doesn't really seem loose, it will start working.
Old March 16th 08, 06:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Craig Coope

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:16:47 -0500, ProfGene wrote:

BIGEYE wrote:
[...]

Make sure you have all the power connectors plugged into the mobo that
you need....

--
The Zero ST