code theory behind RAID systems.-

Old May 13th 04, 07:35 PM
Gustavo V?zquez

Default code theory behind RAID systems.-

Hi all. I'm triying to begin a code theory investigation about the
redundancy codes in RAID systems. I will like to know if there are any
papers about this type of codes and where could I get them.

Thanks in advance.

Gustavo Vázquez.-
Old May 15th 04, 06:11 PM
Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder

Old May 18th 04, 06:19 PM
Nik Simpson

Gustavo V?zquez wrote:
Yes I mean so. I know the algorithms but I would like to know the
usage of that codes (for example, in wich disks you put the pariy bit,
the redundancy, etc).

A good place to start is the original Chen & Patterson et al. research
papers from Berkely, two good ones start with a

http://www.buyya.com/superstorage/chap1.pdf

http://www.csie.fju.edu.tw/~yeh/rese...raid_intro.pdf

As to where the parity information is stored, it's a pretty simple list

RAID-2, IIRC, the Hamming code data is stored on four disks for a set of 10
data disk, five disk for a set of 25, the number goes up with the gumber of
drives in the stripe.

RAID-3 all parity stored on a single disk, i.e. if there are N disks in the
data set, then the parity is stored on the N+1th disk.

RAID-4 same principle as RAID-3

RAID-5 Parity information distributed across all disks in the set, i.e. no
single drive dedicated to parity data.