New PC Intel Or Amd

Old September 22nd 03, 02:05 PM
JustMe

Hi,

As far as i understand the spec's on the asus site the A7N8X-X doesn't support Dual Channel DDR, the A7N8X-Deluxe seems to support it. Is this correct or supports the A7N8X-X Dual Channel anyway?

tnx
klaas
"Rabramson1" schreef in bericht ...
amd is equally as stable....i have been using amd for years and i never had problems...u chose a good mobo for amd, and the barton 2500 is great for ocing. u can easily boost it up to 200 MHz fsb like the 3200 is. however ull need good ram and i doubt the brand u wanted to get would be good enough..id recommend mushkin or corsair pc 3200 because the price difference between 2700 and 3200 is like nothing... also get 2 of the same sticks to run dual channel (very fast and good). btw geforce fx 5200 is CRAP; its like a supped up geforce 4 mx . id go for at least a geforce fxf 5600 or even geforce 4 ti4200 (128 mb of course).

Rob:
"JustMe" wrote in message .. .
Hello,

I want to buy a new PC. Some friends and so told me:
* Don't chose an AMD, its less stable and gives more blue screens than an Intel and installing XP gives a lot of problems.
* The standard coolers from AMD make a lot of noise, Intel is a lot quiter.

What's true and what isn't?

I was thinking off a system with:
* Mobo: asus A7N8X-X
* Proc: AMD 2500+
* Mem: 512 Mb DDR 333
* Video: Geforce 5200

A good combination/System?
Somebody told me not use the 2500+ since the 2600+ or 2700+ would be better OC. In these threads I see the opposite. Whats true?
If i want maximum speed is it better to buy a DDR333 or an DDR400? And whats the best choice 1x512 or 2x256? What brand? is Dane-elec good?
The same person also said an Geforce 5200 is crap. True or false?

thanks,

Klaas

Old September 23rd 03, 01:50 AM
BF

I still believe that it would be almost impossible to burn up a processor unless the heatsink/fan failed. You will hit a point Oclocking that the processor will become unstable of just won't boot, at which point you back it off until it does.
"JustMe" wrote in message .. .
What's the risk of burning the cpu if u oc?
How much change is there that i buy an 2500+ and can't OC it?

Old September 23rd 03, 03:23 AM
Stacey

BF wrote:

I still believe that it would be almost impossible to burn up a processor
unless the heatsink/fan failed. You will hit a point Oclocking that the
processor will become unstable of just won't boot, at which point you back
it off until it does.

Unless you start turning up the voltage to get it to boot at that speed and
then try for more and....
--

Stacey
Old September 23rd 03, 03:25 AM
Stacey

JustMe wrote:

Hi,

As far as i understand the spec's on the asus site the A7N8X-X doesn't
support Dual Channel DDR, the A7N8X-Deluxe seems to support it.

Doesn't make much if any difference on an AMD system, memory bandwidth isn't
a bottle neck like it is on a P4 system.
--

Stacey
Old September 23rd 03, 02:12 PM
JustMe

But if I would buy an Deluxe (only 30 euro extra) and 2 sticks of memory,
would i gain any performance? And would Kingston memory do as well as
corsair? Is the IDE controler on the Deluxe better then on an a7nx-x?
anymore advantages.. seems like the boards are almost identical..

tnks
klaas

"Stacey" schreef in bericht

Old September 24th 03, 03:12 AM
Stacey

JustMe wrote:

But if I would buy an Deluxe (only 30 euro extra) and 2 sticks of memory,
would i gain any performance?

Very lttle from what I've seen. I does help with on board video performance
but when using an AGP card it doesn't help much if any in use and many
times can cause problems if the memory isn't "just right" specs..

And would Kingston memory do as well as
corsair?

I'd save the money of the deluxe and spend it on better ram like the
corsair. You'll then have a better chance of a good Oclock which will do
much more than the dual channel ram will on an AMD system.

--

Stacey
Old September 24th 03, 08:17 AM
JustMe

I'd save the money of the deluxe and spend it on better ram like the
corsair. You'll then have a better chance of a good Oclock which will do
much more than the dual channel ram will on an AMD system.

Does it matter in that case if u put in 2 sticks of 256 or just 1 from
512? do 2 sticks double the chance on a bad Oclock or ...

Old September 24th 03, 08:36 AM
Stacey

JustMe wrote:

I'd save the money of the deluxe and spend it on better ram like the
corsair. You'll then have a better chance of a good Oclock which will do
much more than the dual channel ram will on an AMD system.

Does it matter in that case if u put in 2 sticks of 256 or just 1 from
512? do 2 sticks double the chance on a bad Oclock or ...

I'd say yes. If you want 512, get 1 stick of some good ram like corsairs
XMS. Fast with low latency is likely to get the best OC without ram being
the problem. I'm sure someone has gotten a crazy high oclock with 3 sticks
of ram or something but it's less likely to happen.

--

Stacey
Old September 24th 03, 09:25 AM
JustMe

What are the advantages of using an delux version then? beter sound
and an SATA controller .. is that all? howemuch better is an SATA?

tnx
klaas
Old September 25th 03, 08:31 AM
JustMe

No advantage right now with sata. The HD's throughput is WAY below 100mbps
so going to 150 does nothing in use. If you want really good sound, you'll
want an add in card anyway.

Why are there sata hd then if they aren't usefull? how many mbps does
an 80gb with 8M cache?

Ghost speed differerent in AMD & Intel Zotin Khuma General 7 November 17th 04 06:56 AM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
intel board, fans on during standby. intel d875PBZ. JohnJ General 0 January 13th 04 05:14 PM
Desperately need help installing OS with RAID on an Intel mobo Nate General 10 January 1st 04 07:17 PM
WD360 + Intel 875PBZ + XP Problem @drian General 0 November 6th 03 11:10 AM