dell usb problem with HP printer

Old August 1st 03, 10:47 PM
woodrow

Default dell usb problem with HP printer

My friend has a brand new Dell computer (not sure of model) with USB2.0.
I downloaded latest drivers for his HP PSC2210 printer/coprie/scanner/fax
machine and installed. The computer waits about 5-7 minutes at start-up
before proceeding from BIOS to OS startup (XP). If I unplug the usb cable
or power off the printer, it proceeds immediately to OS startup.

Has anyone experienced this problem with this printer? Does USB2.0 to
USB 1.0 need something extra tweaked? I'd switch to parallel, but it
doesn't have a parallel port on the printer. Other USB devices don't have
any problem.

thanks.
Old August 2nd 03, 12:16 AM
Robotnik

No, I have never used that particular printer before, but here's are a
couple of suggestions:

1) If you already installed the driver, check to see if you can boot the
computer, then plug in the printer to the USB port, and see if it works

2) Try the same printer on another computer (if possible).

It is possible that the printer is dead.

Also, have you tried any other USB devices on that machine? It's possible
that there is a problem with the USBness on the PC.

I'm kinda rushed right now, so those are my words of wisdom.

Tell me what you find out.

Nic

Old August 2nd 03, 01:25 AM
woodrow

Yea, it works great if you boot with USB cable unplugged and then plug in
when XP is booted. Also works great if you have it plugged in but
powered-down at startup. Just locks up for five minutes if the printer is
USb-plugged and powered on. Other USB devices cause no problem at startup
and work great. Hmmmmm?!

"Robotnik" wrote in
:

Old August 4th 03, 06:11 PM
woodrow

Thanks, I think that may be it. Never thought about the media drive being
sensed by the BIOS. Will check it out.

kony wrote in
:

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 21:47:53 GMT, woodrow wrote:

My friend has a brand new Dell computer (not sure of model) with
USB2.0. I downloaded latest drivers for his HP PSC2210
printer/coprie/scanner/fax machine and installed. The computer waits
about 5-7 minutes at start-up before proceeding from BIOS to OS
startup (XP). If I unplug the usb cable or power off the printer, it
proceeds immediately to OS startup.

Has anyone experienced this problem with this printer? Does USB2.0 to
USB 1.0 need something extra tweaked? I'd switch to parallel, but it
doesn't have a parallel port on the printer. Other USB devices don't
have any problem.

thanks.

Does this printer have a removable media drive/bay?
If so, that's likely the problem. You might try leaving media in the
drive, or changing boot drive options in the bios. For example, if
there's a "Try other device" option or similar, you might try
disabling it. Also if there are settings relating to USB drive
support, "play" with those as well.

Of course another possible solution is a bios update from Dell, though
you might have to wait a while for it, check back again at a later
date if it isn't available now.

You might find more help in a Dell-related forum/newsgroup/etc.

Dave