MB that supports AMD Phenom X4 9550 and Phenom II 1055T?

Old August 15th 10, 07:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Roy Fenimore

Default MB that supports AMD Phenom X4 9550 and Phenom II 1055T?

I'd like to re-use my current CPU with my new build, but upgrade later to
the 6 core 1055T. Of course, this means using DDR2 memory... good idea?

Old August 16th 10, 12:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Roy Fenimore wrote:
I'd like to re-use my current CPU with my new build, but upgrade later to
the 6 core 1055T. Of course, this means using DDR2 memory... good idea?

I doubt I'll be able to find a DDR2 versus DDR3 with Thuban article.
So instead, I'll substitute this DDR3 article, which tests at various
speeds.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mem...-memory_2.html

Only WinRAR compression showed any significant difference, 186 versus 205
seconds. A ratio of 1.1x. So using some DDR2-1066 memory, might make it
that much slower, when doing compression. Other things suffer less loss.

There shouldn't be a difference between DDR2-1066 and DDR3-1066. As far
as I know, memory controllers don't use all the features of the memories,
and treat them the same. And that is why I'm extrapolating, using
DDR3 only speed results.

*******

The only problem with your plan, is finding a motherboard with a modern
chipset, which still has DDR2 DIMM sockets on it. This one doesn't have a lot
of features.

ASRock A790GMH/128M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI Micro ATX $75

CPU Support chart. The board only supports up to 125W processors.
Thubans come in 95W and 125W versions.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=A790GMH/128M

AM2+ Phenom Quad Core HD9550WCJ4BGH Agena 2200MHz 1800MHz 512KB x4 2MB B3 95W
AM3 Phenom II X6 HDT55TFBK6DGR Thuban 2800MHz 2000MHz 512KB x6 6MB E0 125W P1.7

The one for sale here is 125W. I don't know if there is a price
premium for the other one or not.

The 95W part number is present here, and it is $10 cheaper. This
one comes without a heatsink/fan, as it is an OEM (tray) processor.
So by the time you buy a heatsink/fan for it, you're paying more.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...=HDT55TWFK6DGR

The part number here says it is 95W, that particular one, although
the compusa listing says 125W.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...il.aspx?id=652

*******

If you're serious about the 6 core, I'd sooner just buy a proper
motherboard for it, something with a modern chipset, and feature
set. If you think you're going to keep the motherboard for a while,
you could get one with USB3, SATA 6Gbit/sec, and so on. That $75
motherboard is better than nothing, but by the time you're
ready to upgrade, you'll probably be changing it out again.

Have fun,
Paul